Should Conor be stripped again?

Should Conor be stripped of his LW belt?

• Total voters
If he doesn't defend in the next 6 months then yes as he was not injured.

He's got 18 months. No need to be upset.

... and fighters are being taken care of IF YOU ARE A sUPERstaR.

You hit the nail on the head. They're being taken care of IF YOU ARE A SUPERSTAR. How many superstars are there in such a niche sport? Not many I can assure you.

I guarantee no other fighter in the 155 division feels their interests are being looked after... and they're a highly talented bunch. Don't deny it! Even though you want to!

The division can step up. LW are doing FUCK all atm. Khabob ran away last minute before a big fight. I called it. I screamed up sherdog that this fight wouldn't happen; imaginary injury, weight, whatever. Go figure.

Well good call there man. But what do you mean by saying the division can "step up"? Do they all need to prove themselves before Conor can even consider fighting them and turn his attention back to them instead of another sport? I'm pretty sure that's not the way UFC champs have conducted themselves in the past.

I appreciate Conor is a great fighter, but this whole charade is one step too far for me.

{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}

If they wanted to fight it would have happened or be currently scheduled to happen.

Wanting to do something and being able to do something are quite different things my good friend.

I voted no because there were only 2 options. If he takes the Mayweather fight or a non-title fight I say strip him. I think that it would be pointless to strip him now should the Floyd fight fall through (which is very likely).

'Ran away' is a strong statement, but let's agree to disagree on that.

Not UFC docs. he went away last minute. He is fighting in a weight class he cannot make and wants to can crush.

Mark my words. Bump this thread and post. He will never fight Mcgregor after bailing last minute the way he did.

On your main point re McGregor I can understand where you're coming from and in fact had not thought of it that way. I guess I am guilty of being quite precious over MMA being a fan from the early days and constantly arguing that it is a legitimate sport, and with this (what you could arguably label) WWE-style match making, it just makes me feel uncomfortable.

Fair enough but, know, its 2 decades old. Its in its infancy as a sport nowhere near FIFA/NFL/NHL or hell even boxing despite MMAs popularity. The rules are not even fucking unified for Christ sake.

Look man, I am a FIGHT FAN 1st. I appreciate the sweet science as much as I appreciate Every martial art. Everyone I think is great and has its purpose though, I feel not every art is meant for the point system of mma which is still being adjusted as we speak.

LOOK, we finally get fucking super fights. As a fight fan, I am pissed with GSP who ducked Pre USADA HENDRICKS (fill in the blanks brah). GSP who ducked Silva but will fight Bisping WHY? The dude bailed from the sport, bailed from a Silva fight, and wants to coast as he had with dry humping; ie not fighting. Play it safe.

Aldo ran from a Mcgregor fight; fought KTFO, cried, tangents about throwin fights + retiring + dodged rematch when offered as RDA again bailed last minute. Insert Nate who beats Mcgregor who needed humble PIE. Mcgregor - I WILL NEVER SHY AWAY FROM A FIGHT. WE WIN OR WE LEARN.

^^^^ WIn or lose, I love that about him rather then the other guys running away last minute, lame excuse or bailing or no showing, ducking etc. CHRIST!

If the McGregor journey is indeed coming to an end then I also view that as a shame, but nevertheless appreciate the huge contributions he has made to the sport and will of course forever respect his immense talent, not to mention his ambition and charisma. Do I still feel his career choices have been detrimental to his respected divisions? Yes.... at least right now. But I suppose that will fade with time.

And the UFC robbing us of super fights? I'm not sure. Under new ownership I think we will see more and more so-called "super fights", but given my traditional views I don't support them and think they will do more harm than good. Imagine for example if Anderson had fought GSP back in the day and won. It would've put a huge black mark over not only GSP's career but the 170 division in general. GSP would've had to either retire or go back to defend his original belt as a loser. Same vice versa. I feel that's what has happened with Aldo. His stock has dropped hugely but is still considered champion in his division? Doesn't seem right. Oh well, as I say I'm sure that will fade with time. Hopefully Holloway will win anyway and we can put his McGregor defeat down to being a kid, then hope McGregor never returns to take what's his :)

GSP could have fought Silva. I was a fan back when he had the striking and stoppages + the Van Damme schtick going. I stopped following when he ducked Silva, duckede Hendricks rematch, and the dry humping.

Aldo, hit dead. Aldo bailed. RDA bailed. Mcgregor short notice steps up. Bangs out Alvarez after a comeback fight with Diaz when everyone was writing him off.

Check the Diaz #1 thread. Diaz was + 325, I know this because I bet on him because VEgas betting odds got it wrong. He was + 500 on some sites. Mcgregor needed humbling. If you watch the rematch, the striking was more precise, he was more economical in his punching, the crisp leg kicks, the gassing out only to dig deep in rd 4. Rd5 both got TDs though Diaz had more control. Great fight and win by Mcgregor regardless of how narrow the margins are. The 3 knockdowns in 2 rds was epic on a guy that strangled him.

Win or lose

WAR Left Hand of Doom/Touch Of Death

You hit the nail on the head. They're being taken care of IF YOU ARE A SUPERSTAR. How many superstars are there in such a niche sport? Not many I can assure you.

I guarantee no other fighter in the 155 division feels their interests are being looked after... and they're a highly talented bunch. Don't deny it! Even though you want to!

Well good call there man. But what do you mean by saying the division can "step up"? Do they all need to prove themselves before Conor can even consider fighting them and turn his attention back to them instead of another sport? I'm pretty sure that's not the way UFC champs have conducted themselves in the past.

I appreciate Conor is a great fighter, but this whole charade is one step too far for me.

Wanting to do something and being able to do something are quite different things my good friend.

Step up as in, FIGHT GOD DAMN IT. Not duck last minute or run away with lame death excuses. Sounded like fucking chicken little; the sky is falling. WTF?

It was for a legit interim title. Winner could have fought Nate meanwhile the Floyd circus is going on.

We were robbed of prime Silva vs Jones &&&
Silva vs GSp

The sport has a lot of play it safe. Floyd spent an entire career of play it safe and made absurd amounts of money. When it comes to the all time greats, few list him up there with the best because he like JJ crushed dinosaurs.

Not really, at least in the context of this conversation.

How you or I phrase it makes no difference, stripping Conor and vacating the title is still pointless until the UFC have 2 fighters wanting or able (or whatever other adjective you want to use) to fight for it.

Wow so many haters or those with lack of knowledge about the game, where are the polls when the other champs are repeatedly taking long breaks holding up a division. This guy after repeatedly fighting after short breaks and creating PPV record and near records for the UFC is having his 1st long deserved break.

Fair enough but, know, its 2 decades old. Its in its infancy as a sport nowhere near FIFA/NFL/NHL or hell even boxing despite MMAs popularity. The rules are not even fucking unified for Christ sake.

Yeah but that's pretty much the point I'm making. Us MMA fans have argued relentlessly with those who viewed the sport as a freak fest. We've argued that it has widely accepted rules (ok they're not officially unified), but we understand that most athletic commissions adhere to UFC-style rules. And to have champions who flit around different weight classes, challenging highly accomplished athletes in OTHER sports, is just kind of embarassing... ESPECIALLY given the fact the sport is still in an infancy stage. It only plays into the hands of those who discredit MMA and assume it's a sport full of morons and knuckleheads.

LOOK, we finally get fucking super fights. As a fight fan, I am pissed with GSP who ducked Pre USADA HENDRICKS (fill in the blanks brah). GSP who ducked Silva but will fight Bisping WHY? The dude bailed from the sport, bailed from a Silva fight, and wants to coast as he had with dry humping; ie not fighting. Play it safe.

I don't think my assessment of GSP's career is in line with your view. Coasting. Dry humping. Ducking. As you have stated. The GSP/Silva fight was never going to happen and we knew that. Ok it was a fantasy and a topic of conversation, but deep down we all knew it was only ever that. And for good reason. It would've been a ridiculous fight! A guy who's much bigger and taller, who can fight comfortably at LHW, fighting a 170 champ. It would've been lose/lose for both fighters. It never would've happened.

^^^^ WIn or lose, I love that about him rather then the other guys running away last minute, lame excuse or bailing or no showing, ducking etc. CHRIST!

I love that about McGregor too, he was always down to fight. I have massive respect for him on that front. This we can certainly agree on.

Win or lose

WAR Left Hand of Doom/Touch Of Death

Totally respect Conor and will always root for him, just want to see him defend his belt. And whatever you think re his challengers, if they're fighting for UFC gold/#1 position I guarantee you they will be there!

ofc he should be but also hes fuckin up the integrity of the belts, theyre becoming meaningless.

I honestly--and I mean honestly--think he could not give a fuck if he's stripped. It matters not.

He'll get the same money for his next MMA fight as he would whether it's as champion or not.

He'll make more fighting Mayweather than he will in 3 MMA fights as champ.

What would YOU do?

Wow so many haters or those with lack of knowledge about the game, where are the polls when the other champs are repeatedly taking long breaks holding up a division. This guy after repeatedly fighting after short breaks and creating PPV record and near records for the UFC is having his 1st long deserved break.

I just think you've missed the point.

Firstly, I don't think it's acceptable for defending champions to simply have "a break" as you say. All champions who have been out of action for long periods of time are down to injury or similar things beyond their control.

Secondly, Conor is not even just taking a break anyway. He is actively and publicly pursuing a contest in a SEPARATE sport. This just screams to all his worthy challengers, "I don't care if you deserve to fight me, you're going to wait in line until I've finished building my legacy."

Fair enough Conor has to look out for number 1 I respect that, and he's made history by becoming champ in 2 different divisions sumultaneously. But if he's not going to defend those titles because he's more interested in other pursuits then he should rightfully vacate so the people who are still interested in MMA can compete for them, rather than a pointless interim belt. That's all.

Yeah but that's pretty much the point I'm making. Us MMA fans have argued relentlessly with those who viewed the sport as a freak fest. We've argued that it has widely accepted rules (ok they're not officially unified), but we understand that most athletic commissions adhere to UFC-style rules. And to have champions who flit around different weight classes, challenging highly accomplished athletes in OTHER sports, is just kind of embarassing... ESPECIALLY given the fact the sport is still in an infancy stage. It only plays into the hands of those who discredit MMA and assume it's a sport full of morons and knuckleheads.

I don't think my assessment of GSP's career is in line with your view. Coasting. Dry humping. Ducking. As you have stated. The GSP/Silva fight was never going to happen and we knew that. Ok it was a fantasy and a topic of conversation, but deep down we all knew it was only ever that. And for good reason. It would've been a ridiculous fight! A guy who's much bigger and taller, who can fight comfortably at LHW, fighting a 170 champ. It would've been lose/lose for both fighters. It never would've happened.

I love that about McGregor too, he was always down to fight. I have massive respect for him on that front. This we can certainly agree on.

Totally respect Conor and will always root for him, just want to see him defend his belt. And whatever you think re his challengers, if they're fighting for UFC gold/#1 position I guarantee you they will be there!

My problem with GSP is no Silva fight but content to fight Bisping for the belt who if he did not have it, he would not dare take this risk or it would be scheduled for after Romero (confused on the situation as to whether its happening still or not since there is no exact word from both fighters).

I was the biggest GSP fan, the Japanese style head band which is a tribute to the Japanese and his Karate/Sensei. He is respectful but, he doesn't want to fight. He armed barred Hughes III and knees the F out of Sera rematch but, since, he has coasted. TD followed by snoozing. Its brutal to watch man and he has been booed out of Canadian arenas for said reason. He has lost that fire and IMHO, regardless of my critique, he is GOAT WW and his name is up there in the all time greats though he leaves room for being topped by TW or others. IMHO he wants no part of TW.

Mcgregor is out doing his thing. The division can fight, the division could have had a interim champ but, someone bailed last minute. Thats on him.

As for Bisping, there is a career Decade + of ducking, dodging or feedings of him thrown under the fucking bus, grossly fed to ROIDERs/GEAR/TRT/STEROID users to snap his streak.

You hear cucks on here crying about Count ducking? ARE YOU (not you specifically, in general) RETARDED? He fought every fucking monster out there and was dodged his entire career. He claims 2 fights left and wants a money fight before retirement since fighters have no union. WTF is wrong with that?

IMHO GSP is reconsidering this match and using time to back out of it gracefully; will get KTFO. Count is too tough, too big, and wants to fight despite brain damage + fucked up vision due to PEDs/ROIDERs/TRT/Cheaters over the years.

WAR COUNT

Not yet no but if he doesnt fight soon yeah. Hes healthy, theres a contender on a 9 fight win streak whos healthy looking for a fight, if he doesnt wanna defend then thats his problem

giphy.gif

+ 1

You cannot argue with the brain dead, with cucks, and those with really low testosterone.

Tony ducked MJ a guy who beat him. Khabob ducked Tony running to the hospital last minute before their fight. Await him can crushing some more.

Nate is semi retired.

The division of guys not fighting is the same with MW. Whether Bisping or GSP fight is irrelevant.

If you are a fighter, STFU, and go fight. The belt is irrelevant. Champions are manufactured.

Here is hoping Bisping beats up and retires Georges Dry Hump St. Pierre playing it safe. In before KTFO trying to tap to strikes.
Is this really what the sports become belts are now "irrelevant". Jesus fucking Christ what happened ..

It was for a legit interim title.

A 'legit' interim title that you and many others have already labeled 'pointless'?

Winner could have fought Nate meanwhile the Floyd circus is going on.

You know when fighters train for a fight they put their bodies on the line and work harder than you can ever imagine because of their will to win that fight that's ahead of them. And when they go into the ring they give all their heart and all their soul fighting (which is what we as fans expect of them). They put everything into beating that opponent because they want to eventually have a chance to fight for, and hopefully win, the title in their respective division. There are some guys in MMA who have done this over and over again and rightfully deserve to have a champion who is available to them, and respects them enough to honor his obligation to offer them their opportunity to become champion. If said champion is incapacitated through injury then there's not much can be done about it. If however said champion is publicly neglecting his responsibilities to his contenders because he has other more important things to pursue, then I think that's disrespectful.

So to say the winner of the interim belt could then fight Nate whilst the Floyd circus continues in the foreground, I think is disrespectful to the rightful challengers.

We won't agree on this, but this is the best way I can explain my feelings on the subject. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The sport has a lot of play it safe. Floyd spent an entire career of play it safe and made absurd amounts of money. When it comes to the all time greats, few list him up there with the best because he like JJ crushed dinosaurs.

Ooh, just when I thought we could be friends, but that's an argument for a different thread.

I just think you've missed the point.

Firstly, I don't think it's acceptable for defending champions to simply have "a break" as you say. All champions who have been out of action for long periods of time are down to injury or similar things beyond their control.

Secondly, Conor is not even just taking a break anyway. He is actively and publicly pursuing a contest in a SEPARATE sport. This just screams to all his worthy challengers, "I don't care if you deserve to fight me, you're going to wait in line until I've finished building my legacy."

Fair enough Conor has to look out for number 1 I respect that, and he's made history by becoming champ in 2 different divisions sumultaneously. But if he's not going to defend those titles because he's more interested in other pursuits then he should rightfully vacate so the people who are still interested in MMA can compete for them, rather than a pointless interim belt. That's all.
Make sum really good points and I would agree with in almost any other situation but this is imo is different just because of how big Mcgregor has become and how big he is for the company. I believe if he cant defend by end of the year at least I will probably side with you but I think this is perfect situation for an interim title fight which would set up big fight end of year after he takes care of business with Mayweather. Dana talked about time limit for the negotiations for the fight and if it doesn't happen then probably he should have until Sept/Oct. being when he needs to defend by or be stripped. As a fan I can probably understand being upset about not defending but from a business point of view makes zero sense to strip him yet, an interim title fight just sets up a bigger event when he does defend.

Back