Should boxing title fights have less rounds or more rounds?

Sakuraba7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What are your thoughts guys?
Some suggest it be shorter, so more people can follow the sport and there can be more fights per broadcast. One problem with live boxing crowds is how the arena's usually empty until the final 2 fights of the night. On the other hand, kickboxing and mma shows tend be a longer experience. The author below is suggesting a return to 15 round fights. Which is best, 12 or 15 rounds, or something like 8 or 9 rounds?

Why Boxing Needs to Bring Back 15-Round Title Fights
Matthew Hemphill
‎January‎ ‎17‎, ‎2017

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/870487-why-boxing-needs-to-bring-back-15-round-title-fights

Boxing has a lot of well-documented problems that ail the sport, but most people see changing championship fights from 12 rounds to 15 rounds as a positive thing.

Boxers who fight at the highest level will take less damage with 12 rounds, but it makes the sport lose some of its prestige, and, more importantly, it makes the fighters who are involved in these fights less money.

The rounds were taken out mostly because of one fight. Ray Mancini vs. Duk Koo Kim happened on November 13, 1982. This fight's grueling nature led to Kim's death, which, while a tragedy, is part of the risk in the sport.

By 1988, major title fights had been reduced to 12 rounds. However, it might be time to revisit the rules because of boxing problems and because...

Medical Science Keeps Improving

Every year, technology and science continue to grow. Things that might have helped boxers in the past, but were unknown, might be clearer now.

It doesn't mean that boxers wouldn't still suffer damage, but medical science could reduce the amount of damage inflicted in the ring.

It is the most important thing to think about, when questioning if the rule should be changed, as it involves the safety of the fighters.
If so much time hadn't passed, the rule might not be worth revisiting.

It Would Make Title Fights a Little More Special

There is something about knowing that only a certain kind of fight goes those extra rounds, that makes it special. It gives it an exclamation point that other fights lack.

When regional and lower-belt fights get the same amount of rounds, it's like saying that they are the same thing.
But they're not.

Two men who fight for the title are fighting for the most prestigious thing in all of boxing. They're fighting for a claim to being the best in the world.

It should mean that they are willing to push themselves a little harder. That they are willing to risk a bit more.
It's what prizefighters do, and it shouldn't be compromised.

It Tests a Fighter's Mental Ability

Fights are exhausting on a person's mental state.
There is nothing like having to face someone down who is aggressively trying to beat you into unconsciousness.

The problem is, that when fighters are put in the same kind of fight that they already fought to get to a title fight, a 12-rounder, it doesn't mean as much.

The amount of pacing, the mental exhaustion, the amount of emotional control needed is already incredible. Then, making it three rounds longer than anything a boxer has had to do before, makes it even worse.

The fighter is faced with a new experience that he has to overcome on the biggest stage he's ever been on, or succumb and face defeat.
It shows who the mentally strong fighters are, and who will fall apart when facing that last push.

It Tests Endurance

Vince Lombardi said it best, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."
It doesn't matter how good a fighter might be, if he takes time off from the gym, if he parties non-stop, if he just didn't commit that last little bit, it will show.

Those extra rounds are the difference between victory and defeat, and the men who have pushed themselves to go those extra rounds, proved to be some of the greatest champions in the history of the sport.

It's that last little bit that splits the good fighters from the great ones, and the men who want to be champion from the ones who crave it.

It Tests the Fighter's Training

Every great fighter was a gym rat, with only a few exceptions.
Exhaustion can make people seem like cowards, but it also does something else. It shows how much the fighter has trained.

When exhaustion sets in, it's obvious who has trained in their down time and who was lazy.
Boxers who never leave the gym have better stamina, and like any martial artist, they are so heavily trained to do the right things, that it it's subconscious. Even in the late rounds, they'll keep doing what they have been taught to.

It is the ultimate showing of who is a champion boxer and who is a part-time prizefighter.
Three rounds. That is all it is. Just nine extra minutes added to a fight.

And yet, it could change matches for the title back into what they once were.
A chance to prove that someone is the best in the world.

I want 8x5 minute rounds. Too many rounds can really break the action

12 is about right but if it were to change, I'd prefer more rounds.

I would prefer rounds but it would rob some great rivalries. Battles like Gatti vs Ward wouldn't have gone onto to be a trilogy. Also, you would probably have more deaths and series injuries. I would love more rounds right up until something bad happens, than I wouldn't.

Would love to see 15 rounds come back and for those A.D.D fans have 4 ( 1 rd x 2 min) fights on the undercard

With slugger and mismatches

I think 36 minutes is plenty of time to spend hitting each other in the head. As it is now, every round counts but there is still enough time to come back from a deficit. Twelve is the sweet spot.

I think 36 minutes is plenty of time to spend hitting each other in the head. As it is now, every round counts but there is still enough time to come back from a deficit. Twelve is the sweet spot.

I generally concur, though the contrarian in me feels duty-bound to point out that it's interesting that a twelve-round fight (with round-breaks) fits neatly into a one-hour broadcast TV slot, minus commercial time...

I shy away from saying "this is why fights are 12 rounds, not 15", but I do feel it's a massive factor in not turning the clock back.

I think there are 2 many close subjective decisions, just bad decisions and fights that we all say could go either way.
I think more rounds would make for better decisions and make the winner more concrete and less subjective.
As a fan i would love more rounds. But it is kind of selfish knowing what we know now about head trauma.
Maybe reserve 15 rounds for split decisions within a point or 2. Or for all draws. Kind of like the 3rd round on TUF fights when its tied a round a piece. Boy the purist are really gonna hate this idea. .lol

I want 8x5 minute rounds. Too many rounds can really break the action

I'll let someone else explain to you how it's a different sport with different cardiovascular demands etc etc etc & how this would return boxing to the pace of bareknuckle matches, 'cos I haven't got the patience to enage with you on a good-faith level, but I have to ask:

Did you only start watching boxing 'cos you ended up on these pages & were too stupid to spell "UFC" in a Google search or something?

I would say 15 is the most entertaining. Doctors know what they're doing though, if they think 12 is right, then 12 is right.

I would say 15 is the most entertaining. Doctors know what they're doing though, if they think 12 is right, then 12 is right.

One of the reasons that I like boxing is that it is a shorter contest than most other sports. I don't really feel like sitting down and watching a 3.5 hour football game anymore. I like that when I put on a boxing match, I know that it will all be over in less than an hour.

Not that adding 3 rounds makes boxing too long or anything, but I think 12 is an adequate amount of time to determine who should win without jeopardizing the spirit of the contest. Making it longer seems unnecessary, and making it shorter starts to infringe on an important aspect of the fight, in my opinion.

I prefer 15. I actually think the dominant fighters of this generation (Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hopkins, and Marquez being the biggest names) would have been even more dominant over the 15 round distance.

I'll let someone else explain to you how it's a different sport with different cardiovascular demands etc etc etc & how this would return boxing to the pace of bareknuckle matches, 'cos I haven't got the patience to enage with you on a good-faith level, but I have to ask:

Did you only start watching boxing 'cos you ended up on these pages & were too stupid to spell "UFC" in a Google search or something?
He tripped, fell, and landed on fat dans dick, he's stuck.

One of the reasons that I like boxing is that it is a shorter contest than most other sports. I don't really feel like sitting down and watching a 3.5 hour football game anymore. I like that when I put on a boxing match, I know that it will all be over in less than an hour.

Not that adding 3 rounds makes boxing too long or anything, but I think 12 is an adequate amount of time to determine who should win without jeopardizing the spirit of the contest. Making it longer seems unnecessary, and making it shorter starts to infringe on an important aspect of the fight, in my opinion.
I have to say, I think the 3 minute round is one reason that I prefer boxing to MMA. MMA's 5 minute rounds can feel like a chore sometimes, especially when there's no action (or even too much action). 3 minutes is short and sweet, then everybody gets a minute break and back at it. I just like the pacing better.

it's ironic really. MMA championship fights are 11 minutes shorter of fighting, but they feel longer.

I have to say, I think the 3 minute round is one reason that I prefer boxing to MMA. MMA's 5 minute rounds can feel like a chore sometimes, especially when there's no action (or even too much action). 3 minutes is short and sweet, then everybody gets a minute break and back at it. I just like the pacing better.

it's ironic really. MMA championship fights are 11 minutes shorter of fighting, but they feel longer.
I think it makes it harder to judge rounds as well since more happened in 5 minutes which can often make it tougher to say who did more. Also a 10-8 round isn't as devastating. If you lose a 10-8 in a 3 round fight your basically screwed.

I think it makes it harder to judge rounds as well since more happened in 5 minutes which can often make it tougher to say who did more. Also a 10-8 round isn't as devastating. If you lose a 10-8 in a 3 round fight your basically screwed.
yeah that's definitely a good point. Granted, the MMA standard for 10-8 is way higher, but still, even in a five rounder, a 10-8 is really hard to come back from.

Lol have u trained in mma and mauy thai? Or just/even boxing.. After spending several years in each sport, n sticking with boxing I gotto break it to ya..mma takes a hell of alot more cardio then boxing. Boxing is more dangerous but hell of alot more chill cardiowise.

I'm good with 12 thanks.

Non-title are USUALLY 10 or less, 12 for a championship gives them more then enough time to figure shit out and impose their will.

It's not too common that you'll see a 12 rounder go even up, and if you do, that's a testament, and a vote for a rematch.

Back