Should bellator have other weight class tournaments?

imbossing

mma judging
Banned
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Having a mix of WW/MW , mix of FW and Lw tournaments?

I wouldn't mind seeing Rory Vs gegard, or pit bull Vs pit bull, lima Vs shlemenko

WW/MW would be fun

Manhoef
Daley
Rory
Schlemenko
Awad
Grove
Kato
Larkin

MW and WW are full of bangers. But what would be the price? A title shot in your respective weight class?

WW and FW, they have more than 8 good fightera in those divisions

WW
Lima
Koreshkov
Daley
Gonzalez
Ward
Larkin
Rory
MVP
Looks like Rickels moved up to WW to
Rainey
Neiman

FW
Patricio
Weichel
Lahat
Corrales
Sanchez
Strauss
Mini Conor
McKee
Curran
Teixeira
Lawrence
Georgi
Sicilia (?)

WW and FW, they have more than 8 good fightera in those divisions

WW
Lima
Koreshkov
Daley
Gonzalez
Ward
Larkin
Rory
MVP
Looks like Rickels moved up to WW to
Rainey
Neiman

FW
Patricio
Weichel
Lahat
Corrales
Sanchez
Strauss
Mini Conor
McKee
Curran
Teixeira
Lawrence
Georgi
Sicilia (?)

yup, same weight classes I was thinking about
It would be more exciting if they make a tournament using fighters from two divisions though

And how is John Salter's name not mentioned? He choked Grove out in the first (whos name is mentioned) and won his match in Israel yesterday

I like tournaments but only when they matter like the one night lhw and this upcoming HW gp.

Last thing they need is to start doing a bunch of tournaments back to back again.

WW would have been the best div to do it in terms of fights but they want the biggest names and the biggest names they have are Fedor, Page, Sonnen so doing HW one gives them the biggest reward.

But in terms of fights its WW.

Rory
Lima
Daley
MVP
Gonzalez
Ward
Koreshkov
Larkin

Chandler could have moved up, Chidi, Gracie, Storley, Kos.

Could have gotten a few more and put together a 16 man GP.

What do you guys think? Having a mix of WW/MW , mix of FW and Lw tournaments?

I wouldn't mind seeing Rory Vs gegard, or pit bull Vs pit bull, lima Vs shlemenko
You mean like how they did before? Every week? That format is gone . Only if a title is vacant for a long period of time will we see a tournament...maybe

A mixed weight-class tournament would be iffy at lower-weight classes. You would have to find guys who are willing to fight a tournament AND fight a weight class above. Only reason Bader is in the HW tournament is because LHW is all cleared out of contenders. Fighters willing to move up become harder to find once you lower the weight classes.

Bantamweight/Featherweight COULD work though. Those two weight classes need contenders and a tournament may jumpstart them back to life.

Dantas
Pitbull
Galvao
Weichel
Caldwell
Curran
Warren
Sanchez

I'd love it if they had tournaments. And they should do something cool like have 'em every year, and give the winner a title-shot.

the only way to get ahead of UFC

Kind of funny how people want tournaments but then on the flip side they bitch about divisions being held up with a million reasons as to why.

HW tournament makes sense on the surface as they need to crown a HW Champ.

I think they should stick with the HW tournament and concentrate on utilizing the roster much better through out the year to give fans better quality events top to bottom. Right now we get so many just not very attractive cards on paper and is probably a big reason why the ratings are basically at a stalemate over the years even though the talent on the roster continues to grow.

Yes, with up and coming guys that get a cash prize snd title shot at the end.

They can keep giving their high profile shots too but this would cut down on stupid shit like Sakara getting a shot instead of Salter.

Probably but not at the same time as the hw one is run.

I don`t think in scott plans was to make hw gp ,but the problem was Minakov who refused to resign/defend the hw belt thats why scott was forced to make hw gp to crown new champ. Also big ratings comming for this GP and scott know it. I don`t think we see another GP in years after this. Without minakov i think all bellator champs wants to fight/defend the belt and build his status to be the best to ever compete at his weightclass

Well, none of the other Division Titles are "vacant" like their HW Title was.

The tournaments that Bellator should have are Four-Man 1-Day Tourneys with their prelim/regional fighters (plus alternate bouts). Speed-up the process of building prospects (record-wise) per division. You'll have a guy with a 4-2 record come out 6-2 in one event, a 3-2 guy come out 5-2 in the next event, a 3-1 guy come out 5-1, a 2-2 guy come out 4-2, as examples. In four events you just build-up four up-n-comers, on win-streaks, who you can then square-off against each other in a fifth event. So you end up with the winner having a nice little record (8-2, 7-2, 7-1, or 6-2) and on a 4-fight+ win streak at least.

It gives fans a bit of a reason to care about the prelims they have. I would for me, anyway.

Last edited:
What do you guys think? Having a mix of WW/MW , mix of FW and Lw tournaments? I wouldn't mind seeing Rory Vs gegard, or pit bull Vs pit bull, lima Vs shlemenko

A true WORLD WIDE Grand Prix at MW, inviting as many other Promotions as possible to compete. A 16-Man, 8 Event, International Tournament. Re-seeded after the Opening Round.

1 - Gegard Mousasi - Bellator
16 - Hisaki Kato vs Chidi Njokuani (winner) - Bellator

2 - Mamed Khalidov - KSW
title_belt-b5f115d8602cc57ad2ef1b8b87461a0f.png

15 - Wanderlei Silva - Bellator

3 - Rafael Carvalho - Bellator

14 - Slava Vasilevsky - ACB

4 - Chael Sonnen - Bellator
13 - Rousimar Palhares - Fight Nights

5 - Alex Shlemenko - M-1 / Bellator
12 - Abusupyan Alikhanov - Fight Nights

6 - Anatoly Tokov - Bellator
11 - Aung La Nsang - ONE

7 - Michal Materla - KSW
10 - Melvin Manhoef - Bellator

8 - John Salter - Bellator
9 - Chris Honeycutt / Rafael Lovato Jr (winner) - Bellator

OPENING ROUND EVENTS:
San Jose - Mousasi-Kato/Chidi, Tokov/La Nsang
Warsaw - Khalidov-Wanderlei, Materla/Manhoef
Moscow - Carvalho-Slava, Shlemenko-Alikhanov
Connecticut - Sonnen-Palhares, Salter-Honeycutt/Lovato

SECOND ROUND EVENTS:
London - with Paul Daley, MVP, Gallagher, etc, on the undercard
Tokyo or Warsaw - depending on Mamed-Wanderlei winner

SEMI-FINALS EVENT:
Los Angeles

FINALS EVENT:
New York

------------------------------------------------------

Possible Alternates:

Jake Shields - PFL / WSOF
Alessio Sakara - Bellator
Joe Schilling - Bellator
Ed Ruth - Bellator
Piotr Strus - ACB
Mikhail Kolobegov - ACB
Artem Frolov - M1

Brandon Halsey - M1
Ayub Gimbatov - Fight Nights
Bruno Santos - PFL / WSOF
Brendan Allen - LFA

Possible/Would-be Free Agents that might be available for the Tourney (?):

Lyoto Machida
Vitor Belfort
Rashad Evans
Johny Hendricks
Hector Lombard
Nate Marquardt
Rafael Natal
Tamdan McCrory

Last edited:
Yes. They should’ve never stopped. They should have kept it going for prospects to establish themselves and make some good money. Remove the title shot stipulation and keep the 100K pay day. It would help attract more prospects.

Back