Should Bellator cut Wanderlei Silva?

Should they cut him?

• Total voters

Deffid

mega pint of fake tears
@Titanium
Reaction score
It seems rather obvious that he just talked himself into the big money fight to rip Bellator off. He didn't train takedown defense at all, didn't even try to prevent the takedowns! As far as I know he missed one or more pressers, too. Apparently "he hates Chael so much" but can't even motivate himself to train properly for a fight against a good wrestler, what kind of preperation should we expect when he faces someone who he doesn't even hate? Will he train at all?
Then he always tries to assault his opponents when he isn't supposed to fight (pressers, between rounds, after the fight), but when he actually is allowed to fight he just lays down.

Lastly - and most importantly - he dissapoints and rips off his passionate fans like @UL @xtramob @Tules @Edwin ...you name them.

Sad!

No. He hasn't fought in 4 years. They need to put him in with strikers at this point in his career. He's too old to be worry about wrestling.

They were probably just happy he showed up to fight. Rizin couldn't even get him to do that.

They should fire Phil Davis though.

If it leads up to more "WRAAAAAH" mean mug pre fight hype unintentional comedic videos, then I hope he doesn't get cut.

They were probably just happy he showed up to fight. Rizin couldn't even get him to do that.
I hope that Bellator doesn't lose money due to him. At some point even his fans won't pay for this anymore and I assume that he has a pretty big contract money wise.

I hope that Bellator doesn't lose money due to him. At some point even his fans won't pay for this anymore and I assume that he has a pretty big contract money wise.

This is based off of one fight? Why does Wanderlei get all the blame and Sonnan doesn't? Consider Silva is in his 40's now and likely cannot move like he once did (surprise). There is a lot of mileage on that body from fights, an accident and he has not been an active fighter for years. Wanderlei looked like he was having a hard time with his cardio tonight, trying to control his breathing during the grappling. His training has probably been compromised due to his injuries/age. Another thing to consider is that if Wanderlei oversold that he is trying to stuff a shot, he may not be quick enough at this point to stop a strategic clear shot to his jaw with his hands down.

Also Chael can be given credit for his wrestling, but that's about it. Nobody wants to watch that lay and pray bullshit. There were a few times I thought McCarthy was going to stand them up, but he let the shit show continue.

They had 50 year old dudes headlining against each other, they want name recognition way more than fighting skill. Wand has that in spades.

Don't be surprised if they dig Randy, Chuck, or some other shot and retired fighter that shouldn't even be sanctioned to fight as Wands next opponent.

It seems rather obvious that he just talked himself into the big money fight to rip Bellator off. He didn't train takedown defense at all, didn't even try to prevent the takedowns! As far as I know he missed one or more pressers, too. Apparently "he hates Chael so much" but can't even motivate himself to train properly for a fight against a good wrestler, what kind of preperation should we expect when he faces someone who he doesn't even hate? Will he train at all?
Then he always tries to assault his opponents when he isn't supposed to fight (pressers, between rounds, after the fight), but when he actually is allowed to fight he just lays down.

Lastly - and most importantly - he dissapoints and rips off his passionate fans like @UL @xtramob @Tules @Edwin ...you name them.

Sad!

Bellator has to be strategic in the way that they match these old guys up. There arn't many good match ups for Wanderlei anymore, but I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Royce.

This is based off of one fight? Why does Wanderlei get all the blame and Sonnan doesn't? Consider Silva is in his 40's now and likely cannot move like he once did (surprise). There is a lot of mileage on that body from fights, an accident and he has not been an active fighter for years. Wanderlei looked like he was having a hard time with his cardio tonight, trying to control his breathing during the grappling. His training has probably been compromised due to his injuries/age. Another thing to consider is that if Wanderlei oversold that he is trying to stuff a shot, he may not be quick enough at this point to stop a strategic clear shot to his jaw with his hands down.

Also Chael can be given credit for his wrestling, but that's about it. Nobody wants to watch that lay and pray bullshit. There were a few times I thought McCarthy was going to stand them up, but he let the shit show continue.

The first part sounds like he should retire to be honest.

Chael did very well in the first round and beat Silva up pretty good, in the second round Silva had that guillotine attempt that lasted for ages and otherwise had no intention but to stall, third round Chael advanced position all the time and Silva - again - only tried to stall. Sure Chael could have tried more, but why should he have done that? He's prone to getting submitted so he obviously won't open up too much. Just like Silva tried nothing off his back (except for guillotines after takedowns).

Bellator has to be strategic in the way that they match these old guys up. There arn't many good match ups for Wanderlei anymore, but I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Royce.
Maybe they will get Vitor in the future.

Not if Melvin Manhoef is on the roster...you shittin me?

Is Doug Marshall still suspended, would be another barn burner

lol I forgot the Rhino even existed. That would be another.

Hell, even Storm. There's tons of style fights that Wanderlei is game for. I would also still be interested in a RIZIN match with CroCop

You can see he still has his killer instinct and the guns are still loaded. Just no wrestlers please

you need to build up your prospects slowly with easy fights. maybe he can fight other bellator up and comers like pico or mvp

Back