Should banned substances be treated like missing weight

The UFC has doubled down on USADA. They're not about to introduce relaxed sentencing. There's no point in having expensive drug testing if there are no consequences.

This is like giving someone who isn't medically cleared the option to still fight.

No, someone could die.

This is one of the reasons why we have sanctioning bodies in combat sports, to protect athletes from their own stupidity.

Did somebody die in Pride, Dream, Strikeforce, pre Usada UFC?

No, a person who gets busted for cheating is effectively suspended until they get their hearing and official suspension. Why should anyone have to make the choice of whether to risk losing to someone they know is hopped up on steroids? And why would they bother paying for drug testing if the person can still fight?

Hypothetically, if they did do this, they should have Bruce Buffer announce that the guy got busted for steroids and mention it every 30 seconds of the commentary.

Did somebody die in Pride, Dream, Strikeforce, pre Usada UFC?
Almost.
DqUrUVw.gif

Yes, hate all these fights being pulled, they should at least get the CHOICE to fight them.
Then they say no because it's their health at risk and suddenly the clean fighter is the bad guy and the cheater keeps cheating.

Terrible idea.

Lol no, but let's be honest Francis would have killed JDS whether he was on steroids or not.

I think the only fair thing is that if someone gets caught with illegal substances or misses weight their entire payday goes to their opponent. If I do my job and you don't do yours or you cheat, I should get the money and you should get nothing.

You realize that makes zero sense

You are not penalizing the fighter, but the promotion

TS - your logic is flawed. One of many examples of why.

You are clean and feel forced to take a fight against a PED abuser to save a card and please the UFC You then end up getting hurt by some roided up monster. Maybe you are hurt bad and your career is over because Dana forced you to fight this guy....
200.webp

How does this help the sport?

Some fighters will just roid openly and take the financial hit.

They'd then make up the loss in purse money with sponsorship money from a steroid...I mean supplement company.

TS - your logic is flawed. One of many examples of why.

You are clean and feel forced to take a fight against a PED abuser to save a card and please the UFC You then end up getting hurt by some roided up monster. Maybe you are hurt bad and your career is over because Dana forced you to fight this guy....
200.webp

How does this help the sport?
That's how I want my HW champ to look

Honestly not for PED"s. Brock could kill you in the ring. It's for safety and fighters sometimes don't make the best decision for their own health.

Same argument can be used for the weight missing.

Or for the show money.
20, 30, 40 or 50%... depending on the substance.

Exactly and fighters already feel pressured to say yes. How unpopular would Ngannou be if JDS missed weight and he then refused to fight.

I kinda wish it would be more of a legacy killer for those that test positive. Idk that the majority of fans care that much about it. Seems like it to me anyway. I don't think your casual viewer really knows Anderson failed a test.

Along with long suspensions, if it was an unwritten rule that you wouldn't be in the discussion of great fighters if you failed a test, maybe that would help deter it some.

Also, if they had it in their contract that a failed test reduces their future pay by x% and an automatic demotion to fight pass or prelims.

good idea, let him fight. besides losing water weight faster and some electrolites he's not getting his performance enhanced. he could probably get weaker taking into account the side effects if he's not careful

Adverse Reactions

Frequency not defined; the occurrence of adverse events are dose related, with the majority occurring with doses ≥25 mg.

Cardiovascular: Hypotension, necrotizing angiitis, orthostatic hypotension

Central nervous system: Dizziness, headache, paresthesia, restlessness, vertigo

Dermatologic: Alopecia, erythema multiforme, exfoliative dermatitis, skin photosensitivity, skin rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, urticaria

Endocrine & metabolic: Glycosuria, hypercalcemia, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, hypochloremic alkalosis, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, hyponatremia

Gastrointestinal: Abdominal cramps, anorexia, constipation, diarrhea, gastric irritation, nausea, pancreatitis, sialadenitis, vomiting

Genitourinary: Impotence

Hematologic & oncologic: Agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, hemolytic anemia, leukopenia, purpura, thrombocytopenia

Hepatic: Jaundice

Hypersensitivity: Anaphylaxis

Neuromuscular & skeletal: Muscle spasm, weakness

Ophthalmic: Transient blurred vision, xanthopsia

Renal: Interstitial nephritis, renal failure, renal insufficiency

Respiratory: Respiratory distress, pneumonitis, pulmonary edema

Miscellaneous: Fever

Either legalise it or punish it hard. Making the punishment the same for missing weight would only make more people take PEDs and further punish those that don't.
Then if they lose to the guy on PED's or overweight, they have an excuse. if that's the case, I'd come in 20+ lbs over the limit, roided to the gills. But would depend on suspension afterwards. and what my show and win bonus was/is.

This is like giving someone who isn't medically cleared the option to still fight.

No, someone could die.

This is one of the reasons why we have sanctioning bodies in combat sports, to protect athletes from their own stupidity.

I cant stand this argument.....if someone was going to die because PEDs were used in an MMA fight, it would have happened already.....

Steroids have been around for decades and MMA has been around for over a quarter of a century....

Back