Shotguns: Trad Stock, Pistol Grip or Combo

I didn’t see this post before posting my first reply. The hogue 12” LOP is the one I have, and I’m happy with it years later. I’ve run it it a 3 gun, and although I was the only guy running a pump action, I still did pretty well.
I have the Mesa tactical side saddle and it’s ok. It looks cool but i found it cumbersome to reload quickly from.
Yeah, I had the Mesa Tactical too, that's the one I took off and replaced with the factory stock because I just couldn't like it.

How do you feel about the feel/texture of the stock? Wondering how it is with sweaty palms from a hot day? Under rainy conditions? Etc... regarding the mesa side saddle, can you explain a little more regarding the cumbersome reload?

Thanks by the way for the post that prompted these questions.
I like the texture a lot. Its smooth but grippy, without being squishy if that makes sense. It’s not tacky to the touch at all either. Hard to describe in words but I was very happy with the texture. It doesn’t feel cheap in any way. And I don’t baby my guns at all, but I’ve had no problems with it scratching or anything like that.
It was actually raining lightly when I ran it thru 3 gun and the grip was still great. A big improvement over the plastic furniture they came factory on the persuader.

On the Mesa, I just found the placement of pulling from that side of the gun to not be ideal. I tried mounting the shells where you pull up, or where you pull down, and just still found it easier and faster to pull off of a cheap shell holder mounted to my belt.

My initial justification for buying it was for reloads in 3 gun. But really I just thought it looked cool. If it’s not for competition use and just for home defense or something it’s totally fine. It surprisingly holds the rounds in pretty securely for how it’s retaining them.

How do you feel about the feel/texture of the stock? Wondering how it is with sweaty palms from a hot day? Under rainy conditions? Etc... regarding the mesa side saddle, can you explain a little more regarding the cumbersome reload?

Thanks by the way for the post that prompted these questions.
I don't know about how @jericksen5 does things, but what I'm accustomed to, with a traditional stock, is pointing the muzzle up, resting the butt of my stock on my hip and loading through the gate. When I had a pistol gripped stock, it seems like the way to load is to keep the muzzle down range, gripped conventionally, but the balance sucks and the muzzle wants to dip. Nevermind that accessing the hulls from saddle on the stock is awkward when your wrist is in the way.

I like the texture a lot. Its smooth but grippy, without being squishy if that makes sense. It’s not tacky to the touch at all either. Hard to describe in words but I was very happy with the texture. It doesn’t feel cheap in any way. And I don’t baby my guns at all, but I’ve had no problems with it scratching or anything like that.
It was actually raining lightly when I ran it thru 3 gun and the grip was still great. A big improvement over the plastic furniture they came factory on the persuader.

On the Mesa, I just found the placement of pulling from that side of the gun to not be ideal. I tried mounting the shells where you pull up, or where you pull down, and just still found it easier and faster to pull off of a cheap shell holder mounted to my belt.

My initial justification for buying it was for reloads in 3 gun. But really I just thought it looked cool. If it’s not for competition use and just for home defense or something it’s totally fine. It surprisingly holds the rounds in pretty securely for how it’s retaining them.
Thanks for the info on the stock. I'm feeling better about my decision to purchase one.

GxDIgSF.jpg

This was a few years ago, when my 870 was more "tacticool" than it is now.

Now imagine trying to pull shells out from under the stock's saddle when the wrist and forearm of your shooting hand are in the way. Sure, you can place them with the brass side up, but then you're reaching across and over your gun, obstructing your sight picture.

My $0.02

I don't know about how @jericksen5 does things, but what I'm accustomed to, with a traditional stock, is pointing the muzzle up, resting the butt of my stock on my hip and loading through the gate. When I had a pistol gripped stock, it seems like the way to load is to keep the muzzle down range, gripped conventionally, but the balance sucks and the muzzle wants to dip. Nevermind that accessing the hulls from saddle on the stock is awkward when your wrist is in the way.
That’s a much better worded description of the awkewardness of fast reloading from a side saddle.
In 3 gun, I do it similar to as you described, with the but of the gun against my hip and I’m gripping still standard with my right hand with the muzzle downrange, while turning the shotgun over to drop shells in with my left hand from a cheap belt dispenser. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Traditional stock. But my shotty isn’t my go to for home protection.

27B57295-98B6-452F-A5C2-AAE434A707D4.jpeg Going to do a Shockwave non SBS in a hot minute.

Stock all the way. I hate pistol grips on shotguns.

Whelp, got the Hogue 12" lop stock today and have it on the Mossy 500. Very nice feel and it squares up beautifully. With the 18.5 in barrel, it makes for a nice compact shotgun to shoulder. Very happy with the purchase so far. Tomorrow is range day so I'll be putting it through its paces but expect good things from it.

Oh, also replaced the safety with a high profile metal one. That feels better as well.

Next will be a saddle of some sort. Then a red dot optic or tritium front sight to replace the bead and likely a light. That should round it out.

Here’s my 500 persuader with the Mesa Side Saddle and Hogue Bantam Stock.

Attachments

• 3EB85D3D-0693-46A2-9171-6AC742730CF3.jpeg
    3EB85D3D-0693-46A2-9171-6AC742730CF3.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 16
I have an older 870 wingmaster, good ole wooden stock feels best to me, points very well, especially with the bead.

Anyone have any experience with Veper 12's ?

So, if you were running a shotgun for defense/offense would you prefer a standard style stock, pistol grip or combo?

Would you prefer a pump or semi-auto?

Currently, I've got a Mossberg 500a (pump) with a standard stock that I've been working with. Not a bad little shottie to do some general training with but it got me thinking if anyone else here leans toward shotguns and if so, what their own preferences might be.

i think it will largely depend on your personal situation, and what your using your shotgun for. I never had much of a problem handling shotguns out in the field duck hunting, and never considered much thought about the length of the gun, and obviously traditional stock is best for aiming.

For close quarters, home defense, etc. having a pistol grip for both the handle and the pump makes things much easier. Try handling your shotgun in the your hallway or car, simulate some SHTF scenarios, and you will quickly see how much more difficult it is to handle in confined spaces with all that extra length.

i have something similar to this
25605540_1.jpg

If your shotgun is for self defense, I would suggest the pistol grip, its going to make your gun much easier to handle, and much more practical for its purpose.

Run a few mock SHTF scenarios at your house, move about and handle your gun (unloaded), see if you feel the need to shorten it.

Last edited:
i think it will largely depend on your personal situation, and what your using your shotgun for. I never had much of a problem handling shotguns out in the field duck hunting, and never considered much thought about the length of the gun, and obviously traditional stock is best for aiming.

For close quarters, home defense, etc. having a pistol grip for both the handle and the pump makes things much easier. Try handling your shotgun in the your hallway or car, simulate some SHTF scenarios, and you will quickly see how much more difficult it is to handle in confined spaces with all that extra length.

i have something similar to this
25605540_1.jpg

If your shotgun is for self defense, I would suggest the pistol grip, its going to make your gun much easier to handle, and much more practical for its purpose.

Run a few mock SHTF scenarios at your house, move about and handle your gun (unloaded), see if you feel the need to shorten it.
Thank you for the recommendations. I added a 12" lop Hogue stock to the Moss a while back. It's main purpose is HD. I've run a few drills through the house to see how it is to maneuver around and it's not too bad at all.

Standard stock, pump action.

The pump makes it easier to clear if you have a jam, pistol grips with the but stock look cool, they don’t feel great to me, pistol grip with no stock.....no. Especially for self defense, you could easily lose your teeth or break your nose, I’ve actually seen this happen.

For an HD shotgun, I’d get an off the shelf mossy 500 or a remmy 870 and load it to the brim with OO or OOO buckshot and call it a day.

i dont see what the problem is with a pistol grip with no stock, or how you can easily break your nose or teeth? You mean the recoil? Maybe for a woman or child, but any man, even a small man, shouldnt have a problem handling a pistol grip 12 guage given they know how to handle a gun properly. I have no problem pumping out 6 slugs as quick as possible.

I've got a Mossberg 500 as well, used traditional stock in the navy on them, bought mine pistol grip only, and long ago put a combo stock on it, and love it.

Back