Shot My First Gun

Seriously, get an AR pistol man. I am sure there's a shop in your town where you can have them put the lower together and say grab a BCM 11.5" upper for around $650 right now.

Pistols are hard to control and it takes a ton of practice to shoot well with them. A rifle type system is easier to use and with the recent ATF White Letter saying we can now shoulder things like the SB Sig Brace and the Shockwave Blade essentially you can use AR pistols almost like they are SBRs now.

I recently went shooting with my roommates, one of which is this girl that is like 5 feet tall maybe and like at most 110lbs. Even my G23 converted to shoot 9mm was a bit of a struggle for her as her hands were rather small. My standard AR-15 though... outside of it being a bit heavy she shot that WAY better than my Glock.

You could even get an AR pistol chambered in 9mm if you wanted.

We got a guy here in Ct. making legal AR style PDW's with ATF paperwork which is helping against the guys price gouging for pre bans. Small pin pre bans are hovering around sub 2k in Commieneticut.

This one takes 9mm Glock mags. We probably still pay more than the national average, but at least someone is giving us non-NFA options.
IMG_1349.JPG

my favorite handgun
1074767_01__fs_fn_five_seven_5_7x28mm_640.jpg
I want to get one of those so bad especially now that the prices have dropped back down back a couple of years ago they was running around 2k at the gun shows around here.

We got a guy here in Ct. making legal AR style PDW's with ATF paperwork which is helping against the guys price gouging for pre bans. Small pin pre bans are hovering around sub 2k in Commieneticut.

This one takes 9mm Glock mags. We probably still pay more than the national average, but at least someone is giving us non-NFA options.
View attachment 240885
I'm debating taking the NFA jump and doing an SBR

not surprised about Fn prices.
got mine about ten years ago for $900.
equipped with high capacity mags as well.
what a pleasure to shoot.

that's still alot more cheaper then 2.50 - 3.00+ I'm spending per round of 45-70 even the .454casull and .460 S&W mag are pushing over 2.00 the .45colt has a wider range of prices but I don't want to shoot the unjacked shit through my ruger of s&w revolvers.

Sure, I just mentioned you could buy new brass .308 for the same price as 54R as of right now.

Got my PAL test in a couple weeks and I'm eying up a Mossberg 500.

Chik-chik-BOOM.

not surprised about Fn prices.
got mine about ten years ago for $900.
equipped with standard capacity mags as well.
what a pleasure to shoot.

Fixed it for ya. You've been in California way too long.

Lol. Trust me, this won't be a problem for me. I don't have any issue with killing someone who is threatening my safety, or my wife's safety. I just don't place much value on human lives, especially if they are a threat to mine.

That's what matters most. If you want a handgun, get a handgun. Just don't assume that a shotgun is going to send pellets everywhere. The spread isn't very big at close range, and with slugs, you just get one big .72 caliber hole.

Like I said before, go to your local range and test out a bunch of handguns. You will figure out what you want after you shoot a bunch of them. Consider whether you want something with safety, double/singe action, etc. I personally prefer a DA/SA handgun with a decocker and no safety. I leave it loaded and decocked. Remember, in a high stress situation, things like safeties and cocking the gun severely impact your reaction time.

Next, test a variety of self-defense ammo. FMJ's are for the range. JHP's are what you want to use for home defense. I personally prefer Federal Premium HST's. It's not going to be cheap, but you absolutely MUST run the self defense ammo through your gun to make sure it works! I'm not saying you have to run 1000 rounds of JHP's for practice, but you should shoot at least 50-100 of them. Then, the rest of the time, you can shoot the cheaper FMJ's for practice.

That's what matters most. If you want a handgun, get a handgun. Just don't assume that a shotgun is going to send pellets everywhere. The spread isn't very big at close range, and with slugs, you just get one big .72 caliber hole.

Like I said before, go to your local range and test out a bunch of handguns. You will figure out what you want after you shoot a bunch of them. Consider whether you want something with safety, double/singe action, etc. I personally prefer a DA/SA handgun with a decocker and no safety. I leave it loaded and decocked. Remember, in a high stress situation, things like safeties and cocking the gun severely impact your reaction time.

Next, test a variety of self-defense ammo. FMJ's are for the range. JHP's are what you want to use for home defense. I personally prefer Federal Premium HST's. It's not going to be cheap, but you absolutely MUST run the self defense ammo through your gun to make sure it works! I'm not saying you have to run 1000 rounds of JHP's for practice, but you should shoot at least 50-100 of them. Then, the rest of the time, you can shoot the cheaper FMJ's for practice.
My marlin 336 .410 wont cycle federal shells it gets jammed when cylcling it, it shits me as when you single feed it, its the most accurate shooting slug plus its cheaper to run than winchester slugs. Also leaving a gun loaded down here isnt an option , because the local authorities spring random safe checks and if they find a loaded gun or ammunition stored in the same section as firearms they can confiscate your guns and revoke your license. I leave 6 shells close of hand just incase there ever needed

Last edited:
My marlin 336 .410 wont cycle federal shells it gets jammed when cylcling it, it shits me as when you single feed it, its the most accurate shooting slug plus its cheaper to run than winchester slugs. Also leaving a gun loaded down here isnt an option , because the local authorities spring random safe checks and if they find a loaded gun or ammunition stored in the same section as firearms they can confiscate your guns and revoke your license. I leave 6 shells close of hand just incase there ever needed
A Marlin 336 is a .30-30 or .35rem you mean a 1895 or 1894 no way in hell is a .410 slug going to fire out of a 336.

Well, the reason people tell me to get a shotgun is so I don't miss. If it's loaded with a slug, I could miss.

In the home defense distance you stated it would be used, you're talking a shot pattern the size of a baseball or so with 00 buck. Much bigger than a bullet, but not necessarily an auto hit either.
One train of thought some home defense teachers use, is to have their first shell be a slug and the rest buck shot. Just some more food for thought.

Either way, given what you stated about sheltering in place, the shotgun might be your best bet if you aren't gonna be moving around the house. Putting six to nine almost 9mm sized pellets (00 buck) into an intruder at once is definitely better than just one at a time. Just remember to always illuminate the target before shooting, lol.

Well, the reason people tell me to get a shotgun is so I don't miss. If it's loaded with a slug, I could miss.

At 3-5 yards a shotgun will pattern at about the size of a golf ball - baseball.

The biggest factor of being more accurate with it is the longer site radius and more stable platform.

However if you aren't comfortable with it and the recoil you might shoot it slow and with a large flinch.

Basically whatever you get practice with it.

Yeah my mistake it's an 1895
good gun got three 1895s

A 1895M a gun Marlin and Hornady teamed up on to modernize the 45-70 so they came up with .450 Marlin a round that could be loaded to the 1895 full potential by a ammo factory without having to worry about some dumbass sticking into an old trapdoor springfield or black powder lever action and getting hurt.

A 1895 SBL the gun Chris Pratt had in Jurassic World

And my favorite of the bunch a 1895 STP one of the last JM stamped limited edition Marlin released from the North Haven, Conn before Marlin was bought out by Remington.

Also Rossi makes a Riogrande 410 which is a lever action made just for .410 that are fairly cheap.

I have only shot a gun once when I was invited at a Military base they let me fire an old M60 Machine gun, haven't fired a gun since then and I felt good I think it is addictive.

I plan on getting a pistol although I would say it is not the top of my priorities right now

so you are coming to the states ;)

i just can't get onboard with the glock train

i know you can drag em behind your car, throw it in the fish tank, drop it in mud and they'll still fire but goddamn they are not good looking guns.

You know what? i'm with you, i dont understand the obsession with damn glocks either. Seems like everyone has them. 1911s are probably my favorite.

I was seriously looking into a pair of AMT hardballers for little bit, but missed my chance to get a 2 for one special. Now im eyeballing a mosin PU sniper
since WW2 guns are hell accurate

I shot multiple handguns - Makarov pistol (horrible), Beretta 92, H&K UPS, Yarygin pistol (all meh), CZ 75, Glock 17&36 (all three great handguns). Next time I want to try a .357 revolver because revolvers are badass.
Also shot AK-47 based carbine (semi auto only) and a Remington 870 (loaded with lead bullets).
I do best with the handgun, Glock 36 showing the best results, shotgun comes second. Carbine - I still shoot better than many but it doesn't excite me that much.

what are the gun laws like in Russia? i bet you could get access to some nice russian fire arms. id love to get my hands on a A762, but i dont know if they are on the civilian market.

Back