SHOT CALLER - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Jon Bernthal, Crime / Prison Drama Movie

It may actually be worse in real life man. Prison life in American prisons is fucked up. I got close to the pen one time, meaning I got sentenced to an amount of time that is too short for a prison. Most states will allow you to serve a year or less in a county jail and anything more is prison. Anyway, while I was there some guys were brought up from the state prison on bench warrants. Bench warrants are issued by a judge to bring a prisoner back to that particular county to go on trial for a separate crime.

So these guys were in prison for one thing but were bused back to county to go on trail again and they were placed in the cells with anyone at all, non-violent criminals, anyone, and they might be murderers, rapists, whatever. Anyway, these scary ass MF'ers would be brought in and it was like putting a professional baseball player in a minor league situation, he's knocking homers whenever he wants to. And so, I got an education about prison life and what you do and what you don't do. Its quite fascinating because regular folks might think the prison guards run the prison, they don't. The prisoners run the prison.

The byproduct of that causes some serious violence and weird rules and norms. Prison has its own society with its own laws and it doesn't matter if you agree or don't agree with it, you will learn the laws of the land and abide by them or pay a serious penalty. They say a lot of people in prison get killed for having a bad day. Your mental state is extremely important. An example would be, you are having a bad day, you are angry, irritated, agitated, so you say fuck you to the wrong inmate, maybe you just reach across the table for the salt and your arm breaks the plane of another inmates food tray, you are fooked pal, all because you were not mentally strong that day and made a bad choice.

Did you make a shiv in case?

Another really good prison flick is a french one called Un Prophete. It is about a moslem kid who gets made the servant boy by boss of powerful Corsican mob boss on the inside. Is about how he finally sticks up for himself, and sets himself up for life once he gets out.

It may actually be worse in real life man. Prison life in American prisons is fucked up. I got close to the pen one time, meaning I got sentenced to an amount of time that is too short for a prison. Most states will allow you to serve a year or less in a county jail and anything more is prison. Anyway, while I was there some guys were brought up from the state prison on bench warrants. Bench warrants are issued by a judge to bring a prisoner back to that particular county to go on trial for a separate crime.

So these guys were in prison for one thing but were bused back to county to go on trail again and they were placed in the cells with anyone at all, non-violent criminals, anyone, and they might be murderers, rapists, whatever. Anyway, these scary ass MF'ers would be brought in and it was like putting a professional baseball player in a minor league situation, he's knocking homers whenever he wants to. And so, I got an education about prison life and what you do and what you don't do. Its quite fascinating because regular folks might think the prison guards run the prison, they don't. The prisoners run the prison.

The byproduct of that causes some serious violence and weird rules and norms. Prison has its own society with its own laws and it doesn't matter if you agree or don't agree with it, you will learn the laws of the land and abide by them or pay a serious penalty. They say a lot of people in prison get killed for having a bad day. Your mental state is extremely important. An example would be, you are having a bad day, you are angry, irritated, agitated, so you say fuck you to the wrong inmate, maybe you just reach across the table for the salt and your arm breaks the plane of another inmates food tray, you are fooked pal, all because you were not mentally strong that day and made a bad choice.

Man, holy shit.

That sounds like an interesting, but also probably shitty, experience.

If I went to the kind of prison where I'd have to be involved in all of that kind of shit just to survive, I really think I'd probably prefer to just be in solitary confinement. At least that way I can just do my thing without being fucked with.

Did you make a shiv in case?

No but I had one planted on the underside of my bunk and discovered it the day before a shake down, which is when the guards come in, strip everyone naked and destroy everything looking for contraband. Its a common thing in jail that if someone wants to give you another case and keep you in jail they can plant a weapon in your things. That's a felony and then you get more time.

Do i hear Michael weston in there ? I think I saw him too

used to be a spy now hes in the clank with the kingslayer

Man, holy shit.

That sounds like an interesting, but also probably shitty, experience.

If I went to the kind of prison where I'd have to be involved in all of that kind of shit just to survive, I really think I'd probably prefer to just be in solitary confinement. At least that way I can just do my thing without being fucked with.

Yea, its a pretty wild experience. I saw crazy shit while locked up. We were locked in what was called a pod, 48 men to a pod, always 16 white, 16 black, and 16 hispanic so that the numbers are even if the shit hits the fan. We had a completely concrete yard connected to the pod and at nigh around midnight a certain group of guards would come in to the pod and select guys, take them out on the yard, wrap their hands in towles and make them fight. They had their fun their because there was no surveillance cameras, at least not at night. The guards were as criminal as the inmates, I assure you.

Anyone see this movie Yet?

I thought it was awesome

Discuss

They introduce some cool characters, and sub plots, but did not follow through on them. They ended too quickly. This should have been at least two movies.

First Movie is how he adjusts to prison life, and how he adjust to life on outside.

Second movie is how he finally resolves everything.

Wow, loved this. This was everything I wanted Brawl In Cell Block 99 to be. And what a bonus, Holt McCallany from Mindhunter is great in this. Lots of great side performances, and a respectable dive out of the comfort zone for Jaime Lannister. Great flick.

Another really good prison flick is a french one called Un Prophete. It is about a moslem kid who gets made the servant boy by boss of powerful Corsican mob boss on the inside. Is about how he finally sticks up for himself, and sets himself up for life once he gets out.

That was a good one

I just realized the main character is Jaime Lanister lol. I knew I saw him from somewhere when I was watching the movie. I couldn't put my finger on it. He looks different without a sword

Last edited:
I haven't seen it but I want to. Shot Caller's are a real thing too. All prison gangs have shot callers and they decide who lives and who dies or maybe just who gets punished. If you go against the shot caller then you get killed. Its a vicious situation because prison inmates are forced to ride in a car. Your car is what gang you are affiliated with and so you will here references to car wrecks in prison which is actions between rival gangs. This is why people go in for relatively non-violent crime then turn out batshit crazy when they get out. They have to do what the shot caller says or die which make them commit more crimes, get more time, and then they are institutionalized. Then people think, well, he must have been bad all along but sometimes that isn't the case.

Yeah this needs to be fixed. You cant give someone more time for basically trying to survive in a mad house. A lot of policies need to be fixed in regards to our criminal justice system. I get angry just thinking about it.

What state did you serve?

This looks interesting as hell. Will check it out sometime.

they should just have gotten jax teller instead of copying his look

Back