Shoguns team failed him... Again

I got all pumped up for this fight, especially because DC hinted at Shoguns title shot.

Sucked when his opponent got pulled by the ufc to go fighg gus (who pulled out... Wtf lol), so Rua has to fight this new guy.. Much lower ranked but dangerous as hell.

Im a huge fan of Rua, his brother, and all those old school chute box guys.

Shogun has historically looked aweful coming back from injury. When he had his second major acl tear... He didnt even spend a year recovering. He fought fuckin Jon Jones less than 12 months later.

And got owned.

When GSP suffered the same injury for the first time.. He spent twice as long recovering.

Shogun hurt the same knee, again, and was rushed into this fight. But honestly last night his mobility was even worse than weve ever seen him. Why in the hell did his camp even let him take this fight? Hes old but these guys are supposed to be there to help guys like this make the right decisions.

You can even quote me before this fight saying Shogun needs a grappling heavy game plan. Needs to use his advantages and not take shots.

Obviously he is a shell of his former self, but his camp fucks him over and over. I guarantee you Smith trained way harder for this fight and had a better gameplan.

Shogun just went in to brawl.
Ur reaching

Age is not kind to fighters. I’d rather see him retire at this point.

I got all pumped up for this fight, especially because DC hinted at Shoguns title shot.

Sucked when his opponent got pulled by the ufc to go fighg gus (who pulled out... Wtf lol), so Rua has to fight this new guy.. Much lower ranked but dangerous as hell.

Shogun has historically looked aweful coming back from injury. When he had his second major acl tear... He didnt even spend a year recovering. He fought fuckin Jon Jones less than 12 months later.

And got owned.

When GSP suffered the same injury for the first time.. He spent twice as long recovering.

Shogun hurt the same knee, again, and was rushed into this fight. But honestly last night his mobility was even worse than weve ever seen him. Why in the hell did his camp even let him take this fight? Hes old but these guys are supposed to be there to help guys like this make the right decisions.

You can even quote me before this fight saying Shogun needs a grappling heavy game plan. Needs to use his advantages and not take shots.

Obviously he is a shell of his former self, but his camp fucks him over and over. I guarantee you Smith trained way harder for this fight and had a better gameplan.

DC wanted an easy payday

Hes s bjj black belt, hell yes he should have tried to take down the former MW with no ground game.

If he had no wrestling, he wouldnt have won a decision over Cory Anderson, a 3rd round KO of Coleman, or a clean takedown on Liddell
That former MW with no ground game wins gold at IBJJF tournaments at brown belt division.

There is no gameplan that could have changed the outcome of that fight, and even if Shogun had the grappling advantage, he still needed to close that distance against a long athletic fighter that can punish you really bad, and we all remember what happened when Shogun was eager to close the distance quickly against a long athletic OSP.
Both fighters knew even before the fight it would be a striking match.

He should just do the good old Roger Murtaugh and retire.

giphy.gif

How can we know Shoguns team was to blame? Isn't it simply the fact hes way too battle worn and probably not as hungry as he once was.

I get the feeling Shogun could have had an amazing camp and he still would have got KO'd

Shogun does not belong in there with anyone. It's USADA, he was a PRIDE guy, that doesn't mix.

I can't imagine a fight with Volkan would have gone much better for old Shogun.

he was fucked either way, either smith kills him, or if he won and got DC then DC fucking mauls him.

He failed to train.. worse muffin top than usual. and I think there was still something wrong with him, leg or something, could hardy move. Probably stopped him from training properly.
When you have the knee issues he does there is always something wrong with him. It is just a matter of degrees. Any time he tweeks that knee in a serious way it can impact his entire camp, particularly the cardio aspects.

He hasnt looked good in years. Even his best fight in the UFC was him taking a beating from a 40-year-old who then gassed. Not sure what people were expecting.

How did he not look good KOing Chuck and Forrest in less than 5 total minutes?
Chuck was winning that fight comfortably until his jaw let him down as always.

Forrest in his prime beat Shogun in his prime, game over. Forrest wife was in labour and he was in Brazil fighting, come on dude, any man would have lost that fight.

And got owned.

Stop blaming his camp for his decisions. Bottom line is that he’s not the fighter he was. Is normal. People get old. Don’t make shitty excuses for him, you’re biased.

I think for the most part Brazilians are fantastic fighters naturally but their camps seem to be very rudimentary.

yea hes a legend I just want to see him take anymore damage

TS don’t you know injuries = excuses? There’s no such thing as an injury and/or how it can effect you. Aaaaaaallllll excuses, bro! Sherdog taught me that. Sherdog is never wrong! Only geniuses that know everything about the human body and MMA/fighting know this, luckily Sherdog is full of Them!

Other than that, shogun simply aged with the sport and can no longer be one of the elite. Too many wars, injuries, years. It happens. You can’t stay on top forever. I love Shogun. It sucks the game has passed him by but that’s how it goes. He’s had a legendary career. Let’s be thankful for that. I loved watching him in his prime. He was amazing. He can lose 100 more times but he’d still be one of my favourites.

Honestly one of the most brutal KOs I've seen and I've never seen Shogun finished quite like that.

I think he's done enough.

Jones beat his ass pretty badly.

So did chael, but not quite as violently.

Forrest mopped the floor with him in his ufc debut.

Osp also beat him pretty badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back