Shoguns team failed him... Again

CrimsonFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I got all pumped up for this fight, especially because DC hinted at Shoguns title shot.

Sucked when his opponent got pulled by the ufc to go fighg gus (who pulled out... Wtf lol), so Rua has to fight this new guy.. Much lower ranked but dangerous as hell.

Im a huge fan of Rua, his brother, and all those old school chute box guys.

Shogun has historically looked aweful coming back from injury. When he had his second major acl tear... He didnt even spend a year recovering. He fought fuckin Jon Jones less than 12 months later.

And got owned.

When GSP suffered the same injury for the first time.. He spent twice as long recovering.

Shogun hurt the same knee, again, and was rushed into this fight. But honestly last night his mobility was even worse than weve ever seen him. Why in the hell did his camp even let him take this fight? Hes old but these guys are supposed to be there to help guys like this make the right decisions.

You can even quote me before this fight saying Shogun needs a grappling heavy game plan. Needs to use his advantages and not take shots.

Obviously he is a shell of his former self, but his camp fucks him over and over. I guarantee you Smith trained way harder for this fight and had a better gameplan.

Shogun just went in to brawl.

Anthony Smith is a awful matchup for old Shogun, there is no gameplan that could easily work.

It was awful. He just doesn't belong anymore. Legendary career and fighter.

He's been a shell of his former self for a long time now. I don't think it's fair to blame his team, or say that he came back too soon from injury. Hell, he was originally scheduled to fight Volkan in May but was then given an extra two months to prepare after Volkan pulled out of that one.

He's old and washed up. Happens to everyone.

A guy with little to no wrestling needs a grappling heavy gameplan?

The guy got fucking slaughtered by Anthony Smith and Osp yet you want to see him fight Dc?

Plz Shogun....Retire.

He did enough for the sport and is a legend, but everyone of his fights is either getting KO or getting hit a lot...even when he wins.

This is not the Shogun that we knew....he is far gone.

The guy got fucking slaughtered by Anthony Smith and Osp yet you want to see him fight Dc?
Hes s bjj black belt, hell yes he should have tried to take down the former MW with no ground game.

If he had no wrestling, he wouldnt have won a decision over Cory Anderson, a 3rd round KO of Coleman, or a clean takedown on Liddell

Yeah, because im a fan

Shogun title shot would have me more excited than any possible fight ufc can make.

You must be new to the sport if you think Shogun has little to no wrestling. Shogun has taken down almost every fighter he has tried to take down in his career. His offensive grappling has always been his strongest asset.

You lot are still living in 2005 LMAO

Shogun has never dominated in the UFC and never looked great except against Machida, 13 years ago he was a killer, 13 fucking years and you goons were crying title shot...

You horrible cunts like seeing him get KO'd I think, think of his kids and wife, his head like a ping pong ball lol

Smith went to the club after and had a few drinks it was that easy.

Honestly one of the most brutal KOs I've seen and I've never seen Shogun finished quite like that.

I think he's done enough.

He failed to train.. worse muffin top than usual. and I think there was still something wrong with him, leg or something, could hardy move. Probably stopped him from training properly.

Last edited:
Hes s bjj black belt, hell yes he should have tried to take down the former MW with no ground game.

If he had no wrestling, he wouldnt have won a decision over Cory Anderson, a 3rd round KO of Coleman, or a clean takedown on Liddell
A guy with great wrestling wouldn't have let Coleman break his arm so easily...

You lot are still living in 2005 LMAO

Shogun has never dominated in the UFC and never looked great except against Machida, 13 years ago he was a killer, 13 fucking years and you goons were crying title shot...

You horrible cunts like seeing him get KO'd I think, think of his kids and wife, his head like a ping pong ball lol

Smith went to the club after and had a few drinks it was that easy.
How did he not look good KOing Chuck and Forrest in less than 5 total minutes?

Shouldn't it be up to him if he fights or not, not his team? Can't really blame him having a shitty performance on anyone but himself. If he came back too soon that's on him. The guys an adult and makes his own decisions.

You must be new to the sport if you think Shogun has little to no wrestling. Shogun has taken down almost every fighter he has tried to take down in his career. His offensive grappling has always been his strongest asset.

One thing I think you notice is that guys like Shogun, Cain and Khabib all suffer from ACL problems and all of them fight in a similar kind of fashion, basically hustling opponents being willing to get the takedown absolutely any way they can. That means a lot of situations were your potentially making awkward movements jarring your knees, both in fights and even moreso in training.

What you could say today I spose is that SHogun fighting and winning could well have resulted in a title shot where as SHogun not fighting and waiting to regain full fitness probably doesn't get a title shot. That's different to the situations with Jones were he was champ and indeed with Forrest were he was ranked #1 by most people, he could have avoided those matches when injuried and not lost as much career wise.

Back