Shogun wasn't out; his nose was broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Jon Jones can get DQ'ed for an illegal elbow from on top, surely Henderson's punches to the back of the head need to be considered. Otherwise, that is an incredible loop-hole to exploit; sneak some hard shots to the back of the head in a flurry - who isn't going to be near-finished from that?

So what's the argument here? It was a good stoppage, out or not.

IMO Shogun was closer to being out cold in the 3rd round of the 1st fight (he actually went limp for a second, tonight he was hurt but never went limp), and just looking at the stoppage it was a bit early knowing Shoguns ability to recover but the fight would have been stopped either way b/c of his nose, so no complains here.

He wasn't out.

But he was done due to the broken nose.

That punch took his soul.

why did he fall back so awkwardly? most people get up to protest a stoppage or to show theyre okay.

Thats what I was thinking about. It looks bad, but I am not convinced it had anything to do with his balance or pain. I think he was upset.

I'm not arguing the stoppage. I'm just saying Shogun wasn't out. The punches were to the nose.

Ah, so are you saying Shogun deserves credit for taking huge shots and staying conscious? Doesn't change the outcome of the fight, but yeah, he's one tough cookie.

Shogun flopped to his back out of pain. He wasn't out.
The punch was all on the nose.

Dan Henderson knocked out the stadium with that punch.

You could hear a pin drop.

Dan absolutely shattered that nose, holy shit. Had the same kind of break but mine was not nearly as bad and I just let it heal the way it was.... Shogun's is going to need some work.

I would agree if not for the dramatic fall after Herb stopped it. He was out of it, although the original punch did land on the nose. The hammerfists and punches that followed put him out. I think.

You're right about the first punch but I think you're underestimating the power of the blows after. One big punch then a massive face shot on the ground, followed by 2 hammerfist to the back of the head. He was definitely out at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back