Shogun wants a titleshot with a win over Volkan Oezdemir

Will Mauricio "Shogun" Rua be a UFC champion again?

• Total voters

executionermma

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
PRIDE and UFC legend, Shogun spoke to Guilherme Cruz from MMAfighting and made a case for his titleshot.

mauricio-ruajpg-54682ef57bc8b5e2.jpg

About his opponent
”I think Volkan is a great fighter, the No. 2 in the ranking, but I like challenges,”
“It’s going to be a big challenge for me, and I think it’s an interesting fight for the fans.”

”In a short time in the UFC, he was a phenom, easily beating Manuwa and Misha, who are good fighters, and that earned him a shot at the belt,"
“He has evolved a lot since he joined the UFC. I know he’s a really tough guy.”

”Muay thai is my background, but I fight MMA,”
“If I need to take him down to go on an easier path, I will do that.
I know that Volkan has a good striking, but he also has a good wrestling, a good takedown defense, and sometimes you wear yourself out trying to take someone down. I will work hard on my muay thai, jiu-jitsu and wrestling, and I hope I can impose my strategy and come out victorious.”

About titleshot:
”This is a tough fight, but I know that, if I win, I will be one step closer to having another chance to fight for the belt,”

“I face every fight as a dream, and defeating Volkan is my dream now. That might earn me a chance for the belt. My focus is 100 percent on him, and I know that I will be closer to the belt with a win.

”Everybody knows my career, knows that I was a champion in PRIDE and in the UFC. I’ve been fighting the world’s best fighters since 2005, so if I win this fight I will deserve to fight for the belt — for my history, being a former champion, and for fighting someone like Oezdemir, the No. 2 in the ranking.

About retirement:
”As this sport grows, that tends to happen every time more,”
“Many people comment about it but don’t truly know about it. My friend (Fabricio) Werdum fought a tough Russian now (Alexander Volkov) and lost, and people are telling him to retire. It’s not like that.

People still ask me to retire today. I’m on a three-fight winning streak and people say ‘why this guy hasn’t stopped yet?’ So what should the guys that I beat do? Kill themselves? If I won and have to retire, imagine what they would say to those who lost.

About criticism that fighters receive:
People are too critical sometimes. I think many people are fans of the result, not of the human being. People have to be more rational and understand more about the sport. But that doesn’t affect me. I’m an experienced fighter.

”The sport has changed a lot since 2011 in Brazil, we have more attention and more criticism now, people saying a bunch of things. That doesn’t affect me anymore. I’m going after my dream of doing what I love, which is fighting.”

“If I have a chance to fight for the belt I will definitely envision that moment, but right now I can only envision my victory over Oezdemir. It would obviously be a big dream to reconquer the UFC belt.”

4458728.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
That wouldn't be absurd.

Which just shows how shitty 205 is atm.

PRIDE and UFC legend, Shogun spoke to Guilherme Cruz from MMAfighting and made a case for his titleshot.

mauricio-ruajpg-54682ef57bc8b5e2.jpg

About his opponent

About titleshot:

About retirement:

About criticism that fighters receive:

4458728.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
Key Point: has to beat ooooooozzy.....and then I'd say he has a somewhat decent case for a title shot

He already made one improbable comeback, I wouldn't bet on it happening again.

Highly doubt he wins. Shogun has nothing left.

And even if he does it doesn't warrant a tittle shot as he should of lost against Corey Anderson.

I feel like Jon Jones stole his soul
Well then you're a idiot, Shogun clearly wasn't the same that beat Lyoto DURING the Jones fight, it wasn't AFTER Jones that he wasn't the same. The 1 year lay off and his knees surgeries did much worse than Jones.

they should give him belt NOW!

he deserves it

and the Volkan fight is a disgrace
Shogun should be fighting Gus

I love the Shogun nuthugging all of a sudden. He's my all time fav next to Fedor. War Shogun! UFC Champ 2018.

DC Won't entertain this idiot. Jones used your face as a paint brush to change the landscape of MMA. Fighters like Shogun don't belong here anymore.

Back