Shocking police shooting (2016)

Is it just me or did the dispatch have kind of a nonchalant attitude about the whole thing. At one point she was even said " uhh is you 10 -4?"

Ok. This times a trillion. I posted this partly to make sure it wasn't just me.

@Protectandserve @nhbbear

I'm glad you brought up the poor dispatching. I would expect everyone from the cops to the dispatchers to be trained to stay calm, but isn't it expected that there is some heightened concern when a cop being shot happens?

I wouldn't think people would be crying or screaming on the radio, but even in the military you could tell when people were in trouble even if they tried to be calm.

Not much to add past what @nhbbear @Protectandserve and others have contributed.

Two points about the call response:
1) Dispatching is one of the most underappreciated, underestimated (in terms of skill required,) and under paid positions in LE. And that's why it's a hard position to fill. A lot of places have shared or countywide dispatch now to keep costs down and positions filled. Theoretically this makes for better dispatching... but not always. If I'm screaming for help on my handheld and get no response from dispatch, get to my car and get "Are you okay?" as a response to "I'm shot somewhere in my neck" and/or "My arms are broken," some body gots to go.

2) The lack of chatter over the radio is a good thing. Once location, situation and suspect description is out, everyone is assumed to be going. No need to say so. The response time is unfortunately typical of many rural areas. Where I work, my backup is rarely more than two minutes out. A minute-and-a-half maybe on a midnight shift but taking the wrong street on a summer weekend and it could add three even with lights and sirens. When I talk with NYPD guys, they get salivating when I tell them about the cost of living vs base salary here. Then I tell them about how we ride one man to a car mostly and they immediately switch off. Can't say I blame them.

Not much to add past what @nhbbear @Protectandserve and others have contributed.

Two points about the call response:
1) Dispatching is one of the most underappreciated, underestimated (in terms of skill required,) and under paid positions in LE. And that's why it's a hard position to fill. A lot of places have shared or countywide dispatch now to keep costs down and positions filled. Theoretically this makes for better dispatching... but not always. If I'm screaming for help on my handheld and get no response from dispatch, get to my car and get "Are you okay?" as a response to "I'm shot somewhere in my neck" and/or "My arms are broken," some body gots to go.

2) The lack of chatter over the radio is a good thing. Once location, situation and suspect description is out, everyone is assumed to be going. No need to say so. The response time is unfortunately typical of many rural areas. Where I work, my backup is rarely more than two minutes out. A minute-and-a-half maybe on a midnight shift but taking the wrong street on a summer weekend and it could add three even with lights and sirens. When I talk with NYPD guys, they get salivating when I tell them about the cost of living vs base salary here. Then I tell them about how we ride one man to a car mostly and they immediately switch off. Can't say I blame them.

Our dispatch is in house. When I had a fight a few years back and hit the oh shit button on my pacset I could hear the concern when they couldn't raise me on the air(shithead ripped my hand mic out of the pacset).

They appropriately upgraded units to code 3 and when one of our Animal Control Officers started tieing up the air, they shut that down real quick.

A good dispatcher is an invaluable asset. I feel safer when certain people are in dispatch.

Also bring your dispatch treats from time to time, keeps you in their good graces.

Back