Shirataki noodles are the devil's food

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
0 calories they said...
0 carbs they said...
High in fiber they said...

What they didn't say - if you eat a package, you will empty the contents of your stomach in the gym parking lot.

For those that have never heard of the noodles, they are a yam based noodle that is basically made up of insoluble fiber.

After reading rave reviews, I decided to give it a try as a pseudo ramen noodle substitute.

Pros: It actually tasted pretty good. It is a bit chewier than regular noodles, but if I didn't know what it was, I would just assume it was slightly under cooked rice noodles.

Cons: It cannot be digested (hence the 0 calorie part). When I threw up, the noodle had not been broken down at all. It now feels like I have swallowed a basketball, and I can barely move.

With that being said, I will definitely eat it again. My mistake was that I ate the entire package at once (600 grams worth), so I think it was just too much fiber for my system to handle in a single meal.

For low carb fiends or people trying to reduce calories, it is certainly an interesting alternative to pasta. It can be purchased at most Asian and health food stores. Pretty cheap as well - I paid $1.99 for each package.

Just thought I would share my misfortune.

Bramps, you're the best. Great thread, already

(Will try)

wat? stop contradicting urself.

-@ first you said it was the devils food
-then you gave it a try and liked the taste
- then ur horrified @ the results
-now you said your gonna try it again?!?

also m disappointed @ the lack of illuminati/religious reference to the noodles :(

I got some at Sprout's. Never again.....

I was thinking about trying them. Was gonna make some stir fry with tofu veggies and these noodles

Dem ho's look like dey made outta plastic

So let me get this right. You decided to eat a food product that knew COULD NOT BE DIGESTED and decided to eat 600 grams of it. That is over 1.3 pounds. I don't even know what to say.

Bramps, you're the best. Great thread, already

(Will try)

Thank you... perhaps I will share more of my food related mishaps in the future :icon_chee (Did you know Walmart sells Skittles in kilogram bags? Did you know if you eat that kilogram bag in a day, your gums will bleed and you will throw up every color of the rainbow?)

also m disappointed @ the lack of illuminati/religious reference to the noodles :(

Well, devil's food might be a bit of hyperbole on my end. I have issues with moderation (see above with respect to skittles), so eating the full bag was my fault. I have honestly never been that nauseated though - it was worse than having the Norwalk virus.

I was struggling to make it back to my car, but couldn't make it. I basically keeled over and vomited all over the ground/my pants. And since I live in the greatest city on earth, the people around me gave me a wide birth and ignored the fact that I may have been dying.

Tried them a few years ago and it was gross. That was a one and done.

shirataki-500.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles

Shirataki (白滝?, often written with the hiragana しらたき) are thin, translucent, gelatinous traditional Japanese noodles made from the konjac yam (devil's tongue yam or elephant yam)...

Shirataki also goes by the names "ito konnyaku", yam noodles, and devil's tongue noodles

I'll have to try it. Just mix it in with other noodles to hide the weird texture and flavor, and add some fiber while at it.

just ordered a few packs on Amazon prime, I'm excited.

On a similar note after reading about the effects of sugar free gummy bears I gave them a shot and didn't notice any of the bowel irritability others have suggested.

I tried them a while back after being told that they were a good low-carb alternative to pasta and wasn't impressed. You are better off eating spaghetti squash. At least then it has a bit of flavour and some nutrients.

i was looking for these at tnt in markham .. what do that packages look like?

i was looking for these at tnt in markham .. what do that packages look like?

Basically like the picture above (post #16). There a couple of different varieties - I opted for the Yam noodles instead of the Tofu based ones. They are sold in the refrigerated section along with dairy products (normally grouped together with wanton wrappers).

<This is assuming the Markham TNT is a similar layout to the Mississauga TNT>

Back