ShinKen-Do

MrFoot

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm starting ShinKen-Do next week but can see very little about it online. If I look it up I get Shinkendo which is training with swords, rather than the one I'm starting, which is pretty muck kickboxing with some grappling involved.

Does anyone have an opinion on Shinken-Do? Is it worth doing or a waste of time? I've been training Bjj for over two years and I'll carry on with it twice a week, Shinken-Do is just something extra, it's 5 minutes away and I figured it might be fun and help keep the fitness levels up.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

I'm starting ShinKen-Do next week but can see very little about it online. If I look it up I get Shinkendo which is training with swords, rather than the one I'm starting, which is pretty muck kickboxing with some grappling involved.

Does anyone have an opinion on Shinken-Do? Is it worth doing or a waste of time? I've been training Bjj for over two years and I'll carry on with it twice a week, Shinken-Do is just something extra, it's 5 minutes away and I figured it might be fun and help keep the fitness levels up.

Never heard of it. Sounds like it might be some sort of mma style gym with a TMA name. Sounds interesting.

I've had another look around, it seems to be mainly taught in England and Ireland with a few places in France, Denmark and New Zealand.

It was invented in the mid 80s as a mixed martial art, the guy that came up with it says it's mainly a cross between Karate and Jiu-jutsu. He trained in Thai boxing, karate, judo, Jiujutsu (maybe Bjj) and I think Kung fu and possibly Aikido, so took a little bit from each of those.

I'll try it for a month or 6 weeks and see if I enjoy it.

Weird, the only Shinkendo I know of is swordsmanship. Does the dojo have a website?

I've had another look around, it seems to be mainly taught in England and Ireland with a few places in France, Denmark and New Zealand.

It was invented in the mid 80s as a mixed martial art, the guy that came up with it says it's mainly a cross between Karate and Jiu-jutsu. He trained in Thai boxing, karate, judo, Jiujutsu (maybe Bjj) and I think Kung fu and possibly Aikido, so took a little bit from each of those.

I'll try it for a month or 6 weeks and see if I enjoy it.
maybe its japanese jujitsu. shits tight.

https://shinkendoselfdefence.org

Don't know if that will work as a link, I just copy and pasted.

They have some stuff I wouldn't be mad on, like knife defence, I always think it's a gimmick. I like the fact they use knees and elbows, that's new to me, and if the grappling end of it us up to much it will compliment my Bjj.

It's not in a park, it's in a small room at the local leisure centre. It's only starting out in our town now but as far as I know the coach is a black belt. I spoke to a friend who's well up on local martial arts and he says this guy is legit.

I just had my first class last night, it was pretty good, the joint locks are effective, the throws should help me with the standup aspect of Bjj. The striking is a little different to what I'd be used to but is probably more suited to me at 40, it's mostly lower kicks.

We haven't done knife or stick defence yet and I won't put much stock in that when we do but everything else seems fairly realistic. We did turns based light sparring but that'll step up to continuous sparring as we improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back