Shin on Shin Footlock

Did this exact move this week at training.
Still picked up a few miner details, good video.

I clicked thinking you were going to finish the footlock from shin on shin. I guess I'm relieved to know there isn't some new finagled foot wizardry out there.

The few times I've tried this the opponent rolls and kicks away which is the natural reaction, I feel like I'm losing it so I bail and just try to come on top. Any advice?

The few times I've tried this the opponent rolls and kicks away which is the natural reaction, I feel like I'm losing it so I bail and just try to come on top. Any advice?

hard to say without seeing it, but if you're coming on top keep hold of the leg and then fall back for the footlock. Or just take the sweep :)

Like a forward somersault roll past you?

What part? The shin on shin, the transition or the Ashi?

What part? The shin on shin, the transition or the Ashi?

Transition. TS falls to his right, and goes for the ankle lock. In my experience an astute opponent is gonna bring the free leg over and start to roll before it's too tight and he's out. I realized though I do the single-X sweep without gripping the ankle, but have my hand on my butt ala Marcello to keep it tight, then have to hook the ankle. I guess making it a 2-step process isn't helping.

I clicked thinking you were going to finish the footlock from shin on shin. I guess I'm relieved to know there isn't some new finagled foot wizardry out there.

The Caio Terra style foot lock from DLR is pretty close too that point lol.

Transition. TS falls to his right, and goes for the ankle lock. In my experience an astute opponent is gonna bring the free leg over and start to roll before it's too tight and he's out. I realized though I do the single-X sweep without gripping the ankle, but have my hand on my butt ala Marcello to keep it tight, then have to hook the ankle. I guess making it a 2-step process isn't helping.
I have always done the sweep controlling the leg. Whether you control at the knee level or ankle level you need to maintain control. Marcelo isn’t really putting his hand on his butt but using a squeeze on the ankle between his bicep and ribs. He is still controlling the ankle. I can’t imagine anyone being able to sweep without that ankle or leg control. Even if you don’t want to do the traditional guillotine grip you need to control that ankle or leg at all costs.

I have always done the sweep controlling the leg. Whether you control at the knee level or ankle level you need to maintain control. Marcelo isn’t really putting his hand on his butt but using a squeeze on the ankle between his bicep and ribs. He is still controlling the ankle. I can’t imagine anyone being able to sweep without that ankle or leg control. Even if you don’t want to do the traditional guillotine grip you need to control that ankle or leg at all costs.

You need the control the ankle of course, but you can control by wrapping the ankle ie the vid, or like this which is what I was referring to

Pulling-single-leg-x-guard1-e1353875353761.png

Both have advantages and disadvantages I guess. Its gonna be harder to transition to the ankle lock like above.

Back