Shin guards Twins SGL-3,Twins SGL-10 or Fairtex

elisa k

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi there!

Im looking to buy some shin guards and im deciding between the Twins SGL-3, Twins SGL-10 or the Fairtex sp3 or sp5
I will be using these shin guards for both light and hard sparring.

I used the one's from the boxing gym but those are not comfy, the instep were reaching over my toes, and they where bulky not streamlined. Im a 5'2 female ,shoe size 6.5

Any advice or short ladies on this forum?

Last edited:
Sorry I can't give you any advice on shin guards, but Fairtex is typically the highest quality out of the Thai brands though sometimes something not quite as good quality might work better for you. Reyes stuff never felt right to me and my boxing classics were wonderful feeling and fitting, but definitely minor leagues in quality vs the Reyes.

Im actually your height (slightly taller) but for whatever reason I never bought shin guards except for MMA shin guards. I think those were mediums and they fit about right. They were the Hyabusa older ones. Don't buy those.

http://muaythaipros.com/a-guide-to-the-best-muay-thai-shin-guards/

http://martialarts-hq.com/top-10-muay-thai-shin-guards/

Maybe these articles will help. If you had a glove question the answer would be Winnings. 10oz bag/mitts, 14 oz sparring. Yes its worth the money, heheh.

Buy from a place that has a good return policy if you can't try any out in person cause this might be some trial and error.

many a short folk @ at the dojo rock TopKing and have nothing but dope comments to lay down

I would go with the Twins SGL-10. Why? Because they're basically an improvement on the SGL-3 and Twins answer to the extremely popular Top King TKSGP-GL shin guards.

A few of the pros are that they fit the leg better than the SGL-3 due to the concave. They're also genuine leather whereas the Fairtex are synthetic.

Most of the time when customers are in our store and try shin guards on side by side they choose either the Top King or Twins SGL-10.

Good luck!

Hey Thank you so much for all the advice!!

I bought the Twins shin guards SGL-10 based on the good reviews and your comments, because a size SMALL is not available in my country I had to order it via internet
Im a little bit worried don't know if these legit or not, I bought the size Medium before but the instep and the shin guard length .. to big, but that one looked slight different then this on. As this one has a big label from Twins on the straps and the one before had no label at all at the back

See the pictures below, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_7059.JPG
    IMG_7059.JPG
    822.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7057.JPG
    IMG_7057.JPG
    866.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7055.JPG
    IMG_7055.JPG
    674.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7051.JPG
    IMG_7051.JPG
    723.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7053.JPG
    IMG_7053.JPG
    911.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7054.JPG
    IMG_7054.JPG
    896.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7055.JPG
    IMG_7055.JPG
    674.4 KB · Views: 30
Hey Thank you so much for all the advice!!

I bought the Twins shin guards SGL-10 based on the good reviews and your comments, because a size SMALL is not available in my country I had to order it via internet
Im a little bit worried don't know if these legit or not, I bought the size Medium before but the instep and the shin guard length .. to big, but that one looked slight different then this on. As this one has a big label from Twins on the straps and the one before had no label at all at the back

See the pictures below, what do you think?

Idk why you are worrying about them being fake. Nothing they show look fake to me.

Plus where did you order them from? Most of the time that already prove the product being genuine.

As far as I can tell they look real. Even the barcode number looks correct.

Thanks for the reply. I asked Twins Special Thailand head office. Seems on the European market the shin guards sgl-10 are shin guards sgl-7 in Europe and they look slight different like below compared to the pictures that I posted

Neither is better than the other. The SGL-10 is IMO is Twins answer to the highly successful Top King style shin guards.

The differences would be the straps on the back of the Twins SGL-10 are slightly longer. If you had big calves but we're quite stocky the size M Top King straps would only reach about half way back over the velcro.

The Top King are maybe slightly thicker down the front of the shin. They are also more rigid whereas the Twins a slightly more flexible. Just depends which feel you prefer.

The foot protection on the Twins comes over the side of the foot more especially near the ankle offering a little more protection. Only thing to watch out for is if an SGL-10 is too big and old as the foot protection gets more flimsy it becomes an annoyance as you tend to trip over it. If the shin guards are your own and your size that's fine but if they're in a gym where people are sharing shin guards and you don't always get the perfect size is can get quite annoying. When I say old, I'm talking about shin guards at some gyms here in Thailand that have been used on a daily basis and absolutely thrashed as gear gets here. Most people won't ever get them to this point.

In our store most people try them on side by side and a half go for the SGL-10 and half go for the Top King.

By the way Twins actually have a new model the SGL-12 it's the updated version of their old school SGL-2. It's basically the same but with the contoured front, slightly smaller but without the hook & loop closure on the back.

Which has a more snug fit TOP KING Shin Guards Pro or the Twins SGL-10?

Back