shin/calf kick

@Azam

In TKD ITF, they have Uraken uchi, and it's even allowed in competition. Been hit a few time with some of those, one of the guys in our gym likes them a lot. But they don't really do damage. Didn't Weidman throw one of those at Silva, that made him mess his clowning resulting in the KO?

For the kicks, I don't know any technique using the toes for ITF... They use the ball of the feet, heel, instep, and blade...

They have Nukite in Katas... a sort of thrusting motion into the plexus with the fingers, palm vertical. And for self defense, you strike the throat, under the apple, palm horizontally.

For the spinning back fist, In MT they use the spinning back elbow after a missing roundhouse.

Disclaimer: I am going to put translated Western names of Karate techniques into brackets for @ARIZE since his Google is broken. ;)

You know you are not fair... It's nice to read a good analysis without having to google every 2 words...
Y'all been very mean to me lately. I'm suspecting Andy to PM you to be hurtful to me, because i disagree with his clinching view...

You know you are not fair... It's nice to read a good analysis without having to google every 2 words...
Y'all been very mean to me lately. I'm suspecting Andy to PM you to be hurtful to me, because i disagree with his clinching view...
Not sure if <mma1> or <24> ? :p

latest

Last edited:
What shin kick, we've always had this in MMA. Why is this being asked now?

isnt that kinda fuked though to aim at a guys knee in a cage fight thats career ending injuries you are trying to do like getting a heel hook and jerking it hard unless its a fight for the belt idk if thats cool t use
it is a fight. it's not a nice thing in the first place. i mean maybe don't follow through on and armbar but shit dude, they trained for it if they can't handle having a kick aimed at their knee they shouldn't be stepping in a cage.

Yay! I always knew I was special, my mom told me so. And the TKD trainer gave me a special belt no one has, with stars on it. And at the MT gym, they don't let me train with the others because they say my techniques are too deadly.

And they say that if I work hard, I can be a BIG SHOT JOURNALIST ON A WEBSITE AND WRITE ABOUT PUNCHING AND HEAD MOVEMENT IN MT, AND HOW BEEN TALL IS A DISADVANTAGE IN THE CLINCH...

Can someone post some examples of what is being discussed here? I thought low roundhouse kicks were THE shin/calf kicks. Is there a new type of kick being used as of late?

Classic low kick:
You aim your shin to the opponent's thighs.

Calf kick:
You aim your shin to the opponent's calves.

Disclaimer: I am going to put translated Western names of Karate techniques into brackets for @ARIZE since his Google is broken. ;)

I agree with You but actually among MMA guys with at least some Karate background I have seen the mawashi (roundhouse) to uraken (backfist) sequence - especially when the mawashi misses. If it's a full 360' mawashi it turns into a spinning backfist, if it's a short (also front) kick without the full turn you can still stick an uraken in there to stop the opponent from rushing in to capitalize on the missed kick.

I am a great fan of shoken or ippon-ken (fist with the middle phalange protruded, look it up) for self-defense but rather aimed at tender targets like eyes, groin and temples - which would be disallowed in MMA. Hitting the solar plexus accurately with nukite (spear hand) against a well-trained and prepared opponent would be very hard and and high risk / low reward technique IMHO.

I've seen the backfist when the mawashi misses - but I personally feel that's not the most effective way to throw a uraken.

You rarely see someone for example throw a lead hook - miss/connect and then with the same hand step forward and thrown uraken uchi. I personally feel like the opportunity is there for it to be used especially with strikes using your lead hand. I mean who expects a reverse hook with your back hand?

Sokusen geri (toe kick) was done my Machida a few times but without devastating effect. Here is Machida landing a Maha Geri ("Brazilian kick") with his toe:

lyotofakekick01.gif

(BTW we need more maha geri in MMA!)

But his mae tobi geri (jumping front kick / crane kick) vs Randy was epic. Other fighters have used it well, like Paige Van Zant (though hers is more of a mawashi tobi geri / jumping roundhouse)

That's not the kind of sokusen geri I'd advocate - like you can see it's not particularly devastating. I think when kicking to the head the shin/instep/heel is best. It's like traditionally in shotokan sometimes you use the ball of the feet with jodan strikes. It's not very effective. But if you strike with the ball of the feet to the body - it's very devastating.

When it comes to the body I think sokusen geri becomes very effective when you kick at chudan:

I've seen the backfist when the mawashi misses - but I personally feel that's not the most effective way to throw a uraken.

You rarely see someone for example throw a lead hook - miss/connect and then with the same hand step forward and thrown uraken uchi. I personally feel like the opportunity is there for it to be used especially with strikes using your lead hand. I mean who expects a reverse hook with your back hand?

That's not the kind of sokusen geri I'd advocate - like you can see it's not particularly devastating. I think when kicking to the head the shin/instep/heel is best. It's like traditionally in shotokan sometimes you use the ball of the feet with jodan strikes. It's not very effective. But if you strike with the ball of the feet to the body - it's very devastating.

When it comes to the body I think sokusen geri becomes very effective when you kick at chudan:

Sure, but you gotta spend YEARS conditioning that poor'ol toe! :D

I've never thrown hook into uraken with the same hand as I felt it was natural to spin using the momentum if I missed with the hook. And then maybe try the uraken with the other hand, but not the same one.

I've never thrown hook into uraken with the same hand as I felt it was natural to spin using the momentum if I missed with the hook. And then maybe try the uraken with the other hand, but not the same one.

I love doing this and catch a lot of people with it. After missing a lead hook ill almost throw like a jab and it usually comes out as a backfist. The BMT Back em up drill has a combo (Lead hook-jab-cross) thats very similar to the motion. I swear Tj also does some kind of flicky backhand after missing hooks. Sufficient to say it definitely has its uses

I love doing this and catch a lot of people with it. After missing a lead hook ill almost throw like a jab and it usually comes out as a backfist. The BMT Back em up drill has a combo (Lead hook-jab-cross) thats very similar to the motion. I swear Tj also does some kind of flicky backhand after missing hooks. Sufficient to say it definitely has its uses
You mean this one?

That's cool, I understand now.

Back