Law Sherrod Brown, Jeff Merkley introduce bill making it illegal for legislators to trade stocks

But Obama lowered the deficit during his term.

Obamacare was actually deficit positive and per the CBO is saving more than their original projections.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the guy who was voted worst poster, yet who is still more substantive and factual than any of the right-wingers on this board.

For his supposed intellectual equal across the aisle, stay tuned for later derp...

Well, when you force the working class to pay for the refuses to help themselves class....

Color me shocked that you have no idea what the working class actual means.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the guy who was voted worst poster, yet who is still more substantive and factual than any of the right-wingers on this board.

For his supposed intellectual equal across the aisle, stay tuned for later derp...

That pussy has me on ignore, I wonder why?

It's actually still in place. Don't you remember how hilariously repeal and replace failed multiple times?

Republicans are deliberately trying to undermine it, that's different.

Why do you hate saving money just because Obama did it?

Saving money?

Are you out of your fookin mind?

Let me tell you, Obamacare was the first red pill I swallowed.

I voted Obama.
Watched him fight to get the bill passed
Super excited!!!
Look at the plans offered

<DCrying>

I paid my hard earned money so some freeloading POS could sit on his ass all day.

Fuck off with that saved money shit...

PS, the GOP lost the larger healthcare battle. So when we end up with socialized medicine, you won’t see the goose complaining.

Trotsky fighting for people that refuse to help themselves again...

When will you ever learn.

<{hughesimpress}>

Trotsky fighting for people that refuse to help themselves again...

When will you ever learn.

<{hughesimpress}>

The working class is composed of working poor people: working people whose employment compensation was insufficient to afford insurance and who were then able to afford insurance with subsidy. The working class was by far the biggest beneficiary of Obamacare. Almost all of the subsidization of the working class was funded through taxation on the top 1% of wage earners. The top 1% is not the working class.

You're literally too stupid to hold debate on anything.

Last edited:
Saving money?

I voted Obama.
Super excited!!!

<DCrying>

I paid my hard earned money so some freeloading POS could sit on his ass all day.

PS, the GOP lost the larger healthcare battle. So when we end up with socialized medicine, you won’t see the goose complaining.

Do you not understand that without Obamacare you'd have access to the same exact plans except they would be even more expensive?

Obamacare is not an insurance plan. It's a discount on existing insurance plans.

Why should we pass a heavy-handed statutory scheme such as the one proposed in the OP? Is the goal to make sure legislators are poor?
""""""poor""""""
They make 174k/year vs 56k/year average salary in the US. They can still invest just not trade directly and getting elected will pretty much guarantee a decent stream of money later on from public appearances, books and private sector jobs.

The working class is composed of working poor people: working people whose employment compensation was insufficient to afford insurance and who were then able to afford insurance with subsidy. The working class was by far the biggest beneficiary of Obamacare. Almost all of the subsidization of the working class was funded through taxation on the top 1% of wage earners. The top 1% is not the working class.

You're literally too stupid to hold debate on anything.

For a guy that considers himself intelligent, you sure are a moron.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/the working class

the class of people who earn money by doing usually physical work and who are not rich or powerful

These are the people who had their insurance policies canceled, we’re forced onto Obamacare plans, and had to pay for people who refuse to work. These people bore the brunt of Obamacare, not the 1%.

""""""poor""""""
They make 174k/year vs 56k/year average salary in the US. They can still invest just not trade directly and getting elected will pretty much guarantee a decent stream of money later on from public appearances, books and private sector jobs.

And pension equaling anywhere from $60,000 to $130,000 a year for the rest of their lives...

Saving money?

I voted Obama.
Super excited!!!

<DCrying>

Do you not understand that without Obamacare you'd have access to the same exact plans except they would be even more expensive?

Obamacare is not an insurance plan. It's a discount on existing insurance plans.

We need some numbers here, how much did geese pay before/after ACA. I hear some middle class(I'm not sure where the cutoff from working to middle class is in the US) people had to pay more but it's the exception.

For a guy that considers himself intelligent, you sure are a moron.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/the working class

You didn't even read your own link:

the class of people who earn money by doing usually physical work and who are not rich or powerful
I.e. restaurant workers, factory workers, custodians, retail workers, and various other manual laborers who make less than $40,000 annually. The working class is generally below, or compromises the under portion of, the middle class. Ironically, the middle class was created from the former working class by way of left-wing economics during and after the New Deal.

These are the people who earn at or near the poverty line and who could not afford insurance before - but who were able to earn enough with subsidies.

Again, you're literally too stupid to discuss anything. You think that the top 1% is "the working class" and that said working class is being stolen from to fund the actual working class, which you predictably don't even purport to understand or have a name for.

You didn't even read your own link:

I.e. restaurant workers, factory workers, custodians, retail workers, and various other manual laborers who make less than $40,000 annually. The working class is generally below, or compromises the under portion of, the middle class.

These are the people who earn at or near the poverty line and who could not afford insurance before - but who were able to earn enough with subsidies.

Again, you're literally too stupid to discuss anything. You think that the top 1% is "the working class" and that said working class is being stolen from to fund the actual working class, which you predictably don't even purport to understand or have a name for.

Who said the working class is the top 1%?

Jesus Christ, I hope your reading comprehension is better than that if you’re a lawyer.

The 1%, They didn’t even feel Obamacare.

The guy making 45k a year, works his ass of, receives practically nothing in subsidies, then has to contend with deductibles. He’s the one that Obamacare fucked over.

Simply poll sherdog, see how many people here were happy with their plans. I guarantee you the majority will side with me. The working class got fucked over by Obamacare so we could help pay for those unwilling to help themselves.

This should be applied to federal judges as well, as Supreme Court Justices like Clarence Thomas are infamous for not recusing themselves from hearing matters involving corporations in which they own stock. In addition to showing again how dope Brown and Merkley are, this also serves as example #7679 of how anti-corruption policy really only exists on the left in America, while the political right is busy trying to gut oversight and make public corruption more widespread and harder to prevent.

Two leading Senate Democrats on Thursday introduced a bill intended to prevent members of Congress from trading stocks in industries tied to their legislative work.

The measure would ban members of Congress and senior staff from buying or selling individual stocks while in office. Members would also be barred from serving on any corporate boards.

A release from Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley and Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown cites two recent trading scandals, one involving a Republican congressman from New York and another involving former Rep. and one-time Trump administration Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, for inspiring the bill.

“It’s way past time to end conflicted trading, in which legislators and top staff trade in stocks while making decisions affecting their value,” Merkley said in a statement about the measure, which is called the Ban Conflicted Trading Act.

Since Republicans will hold a six-seat majority in the Senate come January, it’s unlikely that the bill would get a floor vote, let alone pass through the chamber. However, the measure will likely give Democrats some political ammunition leading into the 2020 election, when Republicans will be defending more Senate seats than Democrats. Brown, meanwhile, has said he is considering running for president.

The Merkley-Brown measure follows a similar proposal from fellow Senate Democrat, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts. Unveiled in August, Warren’s bill would ban members of Congress and White House staff from owning individual stocks. Like Brown, Warren is considering a run for president.

Under the measure unveiled Thursday, current members could sell their holdings within six months after the bill’s passing, and new members could sell holdings within six months of being elected.

“Elected officials have access to nonpublic information that can affect individual companies and entire industries,” said Brown in a statement. “There must be more accountability and transparency to prevent members from using this information and abusing their positions for personal gain.”

Earlier this year, Rep. Chris Collins, R-N.Y., was indicted on insider trading charges in August after he allegedly told his son about a failed drug trial at Australian company Innate Immunotherapeutics before it was announced. His son and son’s fiancee then sold their shares in the company, avoiding roughly $768,000 in losses, according to prosecutors.

Despite the charges, Collins won his bid for re-election in November.

Price, meanwhile, left his Trump administration post in September 2017 in the midst of a scandal over his use of charter flights funded by taxpayer dollars. He had also bought shares of Innate while he was in Congress.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/she...lock-lawmakers-from-buying-selling-stock.html
Bothsides, tho.

Most, if not all, Republicans would *LOVE* to see this kind of corruption end. The lobbying. The inside trading. All of it. It is disgusting.

Don't break this shit down to left vs right, you rubes. This is THEM and US.
I assume you mean "Republican voters" because the highlighted is laughably, demonstrably untrue of GOP politicians.

As a rational actor, I can expect that in future elections, you will support the side that had more candidates supporting policies you agree with, right?... because that's what rational actors do.

Just like I'm sure you will admit that the GOP was more to blame for the Iraq War because more GOP politicians voted for it and more Democrats voted against it.

Sometimes a bit of basic quantitative analysis is required in order to not be a moran.

LOL! Nancy Pelosi's net worth is nowhere close to $200M. Wiki lists it at $16M, and she has a wealthy husband. Feinstein also married rich.

Anyway, regardless of what voters think, we know that Republican legislators will overwhelmingly oppose this.
Are you implying that words might not add up to empirical facts EVEN WHEN THEY ARE PRINTED OVER A PICTURE!?

yOU. LiE.

Last edited:
We need some numbers here, how much did geese pay before/after ACA. I hear some middle class(I'm not sure where the cutoff from working to middle class is in the US) people had to pay more but it's the exception.

I think a lot of that is that the mandate compelled people to buy non-employer individual and family plans which have always been incredibly expensive and shitty.

Insurance rates are going to increase every year with or without Obamacare.

Who said the working class is the top 1%?

Jesus Christ, I hope your reading comprehension is better than that if you’re a lawyer.

The 1%, They didn’t even feel Obamacare.

The guy making 45k a year, works his ass of, receives practically nothing in subsidies, then has to contend with deductibles. He’s the one that Obamacare fucked over.

Simply poll sherdog, see how many people here were happy with their plans. I guarantee you the majority will side with me. The working class got fucked over by Obamacare so we could help pay for those unwilling to help themselves.

It's mind-numbing that someone can be this stupid.

The tax subsidies for Obamacare were provided by the top 1%. So, since you said the working class paid for subsidies for those beneath them, the only way that is coherent is if the "working class" were the top 1%. Also, cost growth for the middle class (I would have to read in some coherence and intelligence into your argument such that you were meaning middle class) was in fact slowed under Obamacare. Lastly, the working class, i.e. low-income employed persons, were the primary beneficiaries of Obamacare access and subsidies. It wasn't homeless persons or vagabonds that were getting insurance: it was persons working low-income positions.

Also, if we were to poll Sherdog, we would get 100% of left-wingers saying Obamacare was good/not bad for them, and about 80% of right-wingers saying it was bad for them, with that 20% feeling too guilty to lie.

Sounds good to me. I suspect they would just find some workaround so this will be ineffective, but at least it's an attempt.
The "workaround" is called virtually all Republicans and a chunk of Democrats (corporate Dems-- aka DINO's) voting against it and the corporate media not making it into a major issue.

Also, if we were to poll Sherdog, we would get 100% of left-wingers saying Obamacare was good/not bad for them, and about 80% of right-wingers saying it was bad for them, with that 20% feeling too guilty to lie.
I think that's a little harsh. I think only about 65% of right wingers would say that Obamacare was bad for them directly, and out of that, about three-quarters would honestly believe it (even though most of them would be misinformed).

Last edited:
It's mind-numbing that someone can be this stupid.

The tax subsidies for Obamacare were provided by the top 1%. So, since you said the working class paid for subsidies for those beneath them, the only way that is coherent is if the "working class" were the top 1%. Also, cost growth for the middle class (I would have to read in some coherence and intelligence into your argument such that you were meaning middle class) was in fact slowed under Obamacare. Lastly, the working class, i.e. low-income employed persons, were the primary beneficiaries of Obamacare access and subsidies. It wasn't homeless persons or vagabonds that were getting insurance: it was persons working low-income positions.

Jesus Christ man, you are dense.

A simple question.

Who did Obamacare hurt?

The 1%?

<36>

People making 100k?

<{hughesimpress}>

The poor?

<{cruzshake}>

It was the average Joe, the working class guy who works hard every day, but makes just too much to get any subsidies, but has to pay for able bodied adults who made poor life choices.

Jesus Christ man, you are dense.

A simple question.

Who did Obamacare hurt?

The 1%?

<36>

People making 100k?

<{hughesimpress}>

The poor?

<{cruzshake}>

It was the average Joe, the working class guy who works hard every day, but makes just too much to get any subsidies, but has to pay for able bodied adults who made poor life choices.

The 1%. Clearly. Factually. Undeniably. That was what funded subsidies for the working class. Price growth slowed for the middle class.

Use more GIF's. That will make your point coherent.

The 1%. Clearly. Factually. Undeniably. That was what funded subsidies for the working class. Price growth slowed for the middle class.

Use more GIF's. That will make your point coherent.

It’s blatantly apparent that you’re refusing to acknowledge that Obamacare, as well intentioned as it was, did not end up helping many of the people it originally intended to. The guy making 45k got fucked over, while the guy who was a fuck up his whole life, got free shit.

Again, if you’re so confident in your stance, create a thread and poll sherdog.

A simple “did Obamacare help you, or hurt you” will suffice.

PS, it getting pretty long to be OT, continue in lounge

It’s blatantly apparent that you’re refusing to acknowledge that Obamacare, as well intentioned as it was, did not end up helping many of the people it originally intended to. The guy making 45k got fucked over, while the guy who was a fuck up his whole life, got free shit.

Again, if you’re so confident in your stance, create a thread and poll sherdog.

A simple “did Obamacare help you, or hurt you” will suffice.

PS, it getting pretty long to be OT, continue in lounge

Again, unless you provide otherwise, cost growth on "guy making 45k" slowed under the ACA. And guy making 30k and girl making 25k received access to insurance. And, yet again since you struggle to read, nobody "got free shit." Persons whose paychecks were insufficient to afford existing premiums received subsidies. Also, the fact that you think all persons at or near the poverty line - the people who cook your food, wait your tables, clean your bathrooms, and bag your groceries - are all "fuck ups their whole lives" is hilarious, since I would wager that most of them are smarter than you are.

I have no interest in making any such thread, as I already told you exactly what would happen. Unfortunately, your idiocy is representative.

Back