Sherdog's Own Pick for UFC 229: Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Khabib not a great wrestler from the outside and will get caught trying to close the distance and Conor TKOs him after a knockdown in the 2nd rd

Reading through it seems like I gave one of the more serious answers here :confused:

Khabib not a great wrestler from the outside and will get caught trying to close the distance and Conor TKOs him after a knockdown in the 2nd rd
My feelings as well , that's why I picked McDollyThrow .

I NO KNOW WHAT HAPPEN.

Either Conor TKO or Khabib smesh.

I just wish the weight cutting won’t ruin this and that the fight won’t be a fluke.

Edit; and that Herb Dean isn’t making a bad stoppage like he inconsistently does many times.

Khabib will grapplefuck Conor for 4 rounds and will get submitted by Conor in the 5th.
Oh please make it so , Sherdog would implode with 10,000 new accounts

Sherdog's Own Posters Pick the McGregor vs. Nurmagomedov fight.

See What the "Hardcore Fans" Think.

F7S8IeD.jpg

Please read below for predictions, and scroll down to the very bottom for the results!

Sherdog's Own Picks

@FrankieNYC
@BC
@Yari
@Verace
@Wadtucket
@Da Speeit
@Typrune Goatley
@Rex Kwon Do
@315MMAFighter
@TheIrishPsycho
]
@wilKO
@Socialhandgrenade
@Sweater of AV
@BiGWHOMPS
@FireKidWS
@GearSolidMetal
@Clippy
@Buff
@Arm Barbarian
@One MMA Fan
@paynebringer
@bigwaverider
@PoundMeToo
@TheRuthlessOne

Sherdog's Own Mods/Admins Pick the Fight

@jei
@Kung Fu Tze
@Valhoven
@Madmick
@chunglii
@computer fogie
@TeTe
@Peteyandjia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Results....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With which poster do you agree the most? Please post below with your comments and predictions.

Saved the best for last, I see!

<mma4>

Ohh nice thread. God bless everyone that picked Conor. I hope he can pull it off, but I would not dare putting my money on him in this one. I hope he proves me wrong like he did with Aldo.

Good thread. I've gone back & forth on this one. It's a great matchup. I'm expecting some surprises, i.e. things that few would have predicted. Going with the fighter who has seen the most high level mma action in the past two years. Khabib. Guess I'm closest in my pick to @jei & @Arm Barbarian

Last edited:
It's Mendes v Mcgregor 2, with a few differences which cancel each other out (Khabib is a bit bigger and better than Mendes but Conor is now more experienced and hopefully not carrying an injury as he claimed he was back then).

So I think it'll play out very similarly: McGregor gets smashed for a round or two, but at the start of each round and after scrambles he consistently tags Khabib, ending in TKO for Conor 2nd/3rd round
Huh? Its not even close to the same. Khabib is more then a little bigger then that midget Mendes. He wont gas like Mendes. His control is far superior then Mendes as well. If you think Conor that's how it will go then you are in for a surprise.

We never heard from @MacDuffle

I was ready to see Khabib dominate this fight but I agree with many posters who point out Khabib's awkward implementation of his coaching, he sometimes disregards his camp in favor of korean-zombie-esque high risk exchanges before finding a home in his freestyle wrestling

I give the edge to Khabib if he fights smart or the fight goes long. If he abandons his corner he will have a dangerously tough time in the early rounds, but Conor should be the odds-underdog in this match-up, no question

Apologies for sending my reply in a bit late.

Edit: Looks like I was indeed too late in replying to TS's pm. Here's my breakdown of the fight:

This is how the fight plays out:

Conor tries to yell and intimidate Khabib during touching gloves. Likely he will flip Khabib off or at least really get in his face.
Conor knows this is his last minute to try to draw some emotion from Khabib, so that Khabib can get careless and wild. It will however, have no effect on Khabib, because Khabib has been waiting all this time for the bell to sound, to get his hands on Conor.
Khabib is calm and calculative. Conor is bouncing around with a very wide stance, and moving a lot. This, is to compensate for the nerves that he's feeling. See, 2 years away... even though he got beat up bad by Mayweather in between... he's not sure of himself as he once was. Adrenaline is kicking in.

Khabib is prepared for this. He's not going to hurry and go for the takedown immediately. He's going to let Conor spend his energy showboating... just like Floyd did. See, Khabib has a good team, a good camp. He's prepared both strategically, and physically.

Conor overcommits here and there and ends up backing up. He's overly cautious of Khabib's takedowns. His strategy of literally running isn't going to work because Khabib knows how to close the distance and engage the clinch.

Conor almost lures himself back to the cage, and perhaps he can circle out once or twice, but Khabib eventually gets to him, and gets him down. There's a bit of slipperiness in Conor though, likely he had taken the age-old baby oil bath one night before the fight. It has been absorbed into his skin. It comes out while he sweats.

But this doesn't matter, because Khabib weighs a ton on top of Conor.

Now either 2 things happens. Khabib slowly puts a beating on Conor without committing too much... to prolong the beating... or he gets mount not before long, and lands in finishing blows.

Khabib is then respectful towards Conor after the fight. To show to the whole world what CLASS really means.

Conor enters into a bigger depression... drinks more, uses more... starts getting the wrong kinds of attention... but he's then booked to fight Nate Diaz anyways... because there's money left for him there to make.

Last edited:
Im in the khabib mauling after round 2 - unless egor kreed does conors music and that messes with khabibs head .

Back