Sherdogs Karateguy Hotora86, do you approve of this roundhouse kick?

Yeah you have to plan it out like any career path

Really, this is a career path where you early make good money, and an early retirement; And all promoters are sleezebags, so yeah not very "user-friendly". Last thing you want is to be fed to a younger marketable prospect.

Combat sports are an oddity, no other pro sport is it easy to go pro. Wanna go pro? Apply for the license, and guarantee you can sell tickets with a promoter

Yeah it really isn't easy, I've met a few people who quit after getting knocked out and quit to support themselves and their families. It's also that now a days promoters are looking for people who piss off their opponent and start a grudge match, or a guy that is going to say he's going to put the guy in the ground or just sound confident enough to beat anyone. I don't know what I want to do with my life really. I just know I love to fight and want to do something where it involves a little fighting just at least a little bit.

Yeah it really isn't easy, I've met a few people who quit after getting knocked out and quit to support themselves and their families. It's also that now a days promoters are looking for people who piss off their opponent and start a grudge match, or a guy that is going to say he's going to put the guy in the ground or just sound confident enough to beat anyone. I don't know what I want to do with my life really. I just know I love to fight and want to do something where it involves a little fighting just at least a little bit.
Depends on the promoter, the couple I know as acquaintances looking for guys to promote their promotion (small shows, nothing big) almost to the point of it being a ring kissing ritual; Basically scouting for teams who are willing to ..."play ball".

Honestly, any career is better than the fight game as a career. The guys who make it big have it through sponsorships, and marketing, they're the exception not the rule. Pros at my old gym when they started out were making $300 to show, $600 if they win. Some smaller orgs don't even float the travel or hotel bill so that came out of them. Plus it gets harder when you're not local, some desperados have no standards that they're willing to fight to win for $300, whereas you're more expensive because you need to be flown out, so they take the local guy.

If you manage to make $1000+ then you've kinda hit the lottery as a new pro. Then you gotta pay 10% to your coach, another 10 to the promoter, manager, etc. Some folks cheap out and have their coach as their manager and its usually a fiasco. And its a whole other topic on having the right team behind you, and not some greedy chump looking to squeeze you out and move on to a younger, hungrier prospect down the line.

So yeah the pay's usually garbage, you can prob make $18/hr as a general labourer which is way more than what you get fighting in the early days of your career.

Depends on the promoter, the couple I know as acquaintances looking for guys to promote their promotion (small shows, nothing big) almost to the point of it being a ring kissing ritual; Basically scouting for teams who are willing to ..."play ball".

Honestly, any career is better than the fight game as a career. The guys who make it big have it through sponsorships, and marketing, they're the exception not the rule. Pros at my old gym when they started out were making $300 to show, $600 if they win. Some smaller orgs don't even float the travel or hotel bill so that came out of them. Plus it gets harder when you're not local, some desperados have no standards that they're willing to fight to win for $300, whereas you're more expensive because you need to be flown out, so they take the local guy.

If you manage to make $1000+ then you've kinda hit the lottery as a new pro. Then you gotta pay 10% to your coach, another 10 to the promoter, manager, etc. Some folks cheap out and have their coach as their manager and its usually a fiasco. And its a whole other topic on having the right team behind you, and not some greedy chump looking to squeeze you out and move on to a younger, hungrier prospect down the line.

So yeah the pay's usually garbage, you can prob make $18/hr as a general labourer which is way more than what you get fighting in the early days of your career.

Yeah it is way more. A lot of pro fighters still hold down jobs don't they though?

Mental game is huge, and I know this, I've competed..

Yeah, Chuck said it's more important than the physical. It doesn't make sense to outsiders, but the mental affects the physical.

Lol you talking about living in the projects?
You don't have to live in the projects to do that, they have some gubbermint apts around here in some affulent areas and they on the dole

Yeah, Chuck said it's more important than the physical. It doesn't make sense to outsiders, but the mental affects the physical.
People handle stress differently. Cowboy's openly voiced his nerves when it comes to competing.

You don't have to live in the projects to do that, they have some gubbermint apts around here in some affulent areas and they on the dole

People handle stress differently. Cowboy's openly voiced his nerves when it comes to competing.

Oh I didn't know that. I didn't even know the government housed people in the projects until I started working at this gas station. My friend is trying to get housing too with Gov, because she has a lot of bad luck going, and is about to have a baby (keep in mind that I just fuck with this girl sometimes, I don't really hang out with her unless she tags along).

I'm thinking sometimes i should do that, but I'm afraid I'm going to be pulled into the "life" (if you know what I mean)

Oh I didn't know that. I didn't even know the government housed people in the projects until I started working at this gas station. My friend is trying to get housing too with Gov, because she has a lot of bad luck going, and is about to have a baby (keep in mind that I just fuck with this girl sometimes, I don't really hang out with her unless she tags along).

I'm thinking sometimes i should do that, but I'm afraid I'm going to be pulled into the "life" (if you know what I mean)
Not sure how it is in NJ, but over here they have properties all over. If the resident's total (official) income is high, they'll charge a rental rate of the market value, which at the end is full price, if its near nothing its low.

Single moms are nothing but trouble, don't stick your junk in cray cray. When baby daddy gets out of the big house, then get ready to bang

Not sure how it is in NJ, but over here they have properties all over. If the resident's total (official) income is high, they'll charge a rental rate of the market value, which at the end is full price, if its near nothing its low.

Single moms are nothing but trouble, don't stick your junk in cray cray. When baby daddy gets out of the big house, then get ready to bang

Lmao I know that. I have a rule not to go for a single mom lol. I have a lot of lady friends and a lot of then are single with kids, but I don't want no kid until I'm at least 25.

I don't wanna fight. I was curious If it looks like familiar, Karate territory? Or completely "wrong"?
Familiar-ish though note that our backgrounds are different (Shotokan vs TKD). Maybe ask a TKD guy for an opinion instead?

Familiar-ish though note that our backgrounds are different (Shotokan vs TKD). Maybe ask a TKD guy for an opinion instead?

ITF roundhouse kick is the same. Or more specifically - "the Shotokan way" is perfectly acceptable.

I think it's the other way around... You are going to advocate me
giphy.gif

@Hotora86 aka the Karate guy is qualified to answer. He has seen enough Karate kicks to tell if it's OK. I think he is higher than brown belt?

It's hard to tell if the first one is any good due to angle/lighting, but it looks more like ura mawashi geri than a straight up mawashi geri (which is the normal roundhouse kick). The second one looks fine in isolation, but, depending on your style, at an actual graduation you would have to perform it from zenkutsu dachi and probably chain it together with another kick (ushiro geri in my style). You'd have to show you could do that combination 5 times in a row with correct technique without losing balance and keeping the same height to qualify for a black belt.

Back