Sherdog's Fight of the year 2005-2012

I thought Edgar vs maynard was better. More technical, faster-paced, more important to the division.

To each his own I guess. Edgar v Maynard was better than most on this sad list it's just that no fight I've sen except Jones v Gus has ever surpassed Shogun v Hedno IMO. The winner of Shogun v Hendo was to be given the title shot at Jones after Rashad so it was basically a title eliminator though.

Man I hate sounding like a hipster but Jorge-Misaki was just such an amazing fight.

Lol at Pettis vs Benson 1 not getting foty what a joke.

This thread just made me go on a fight watching spree, re-watching most of them right now. Awesome stuff.

The last half of this year has been awesome between Jones/Gus, Sanchez/Melendez, and Chandler/Alvarez II. I like Jones/Gus for the pace, importance, competitive nature, and technical skills shown. It really had everything, and it might be my favorite fight of all time.

Hm, to me, on your list, I think Misaki/Santiago might be the best pure fight.

However, it wasn't that important and, in MMA history, isn't really important at all. Santiago went on to fail pretty spectacularly in the UFC and I'm not sure where Misaki is. That it still won FOTY despite this is just a testament to how purely good the fight was.

I'm pretty sure Misaki either retired or was going to do one more fight then retire. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it was something like that.

One fight i never see mentioned at all is melvin vs cyborg. Awsome fight imo.

Great fight, cinematic ending =)

For me this year, so far it's a tie between Alvarez v Chandler II and Jones v Gustafsson... Both times I was literally sitting there with my eyes closed and fingers crossed waiting for the decision to be called out, and was unable to take my eyes off the fight at any point throughout it.

The last half of this year has been awesome between Jones/Gus, Sanchez/Melendez, and Chandler/Alvarez II. I like Jones/Gus for the pace, importance, competitive nature, and technical skills shown. It really had everything, and it might be my favorite fight of all time.

Agreed. We still have some solid fights left before the year ends.

Shogun vs Rogerio. Possibly my favorite fight of all time

diego/karo i think. but where is chuck/wand and hendo/shogun?

Can't believe Rua and Henderson didn't make it.

Henderson vs Cerrone, that was an all facets of MMA fight, rather than some of the fights that have just been standup brawls

One fight i never see mentioned at all is melvin vs cyborg. Awsome fight imo.

This fight gets mentioned all the time dude :wink: And yes it was a great one, too bad they both gassed hard at the end, but after that slugfest it's hard to blame them.
Great brawl, but "fights of the year" fights caliber have to be technical as well.

Also, Shogun/Hendo might be my favorite UFC fight, and Shogun/Lil'Nog was one of the fights that got me hooked in the first place.
Shogun fan for life, it's just sad that he is taking the same path as Ninja... those brothers are so talented, and they had such great wars in the ring/cage.

Sad to see new fans trashing Mauricio (or Crocop, Fedor, Wandy, etc) on Sherdog, but it was due to happen.
In 5/6 years new fans will be trashing Jones Jones, Cain, Aldo, GSP etc
"lol they looked good before against cans, but now that they are fighting real competition they are getting exposed as the fraud they always were lol"

And the circle of past-their-primes fighter bashing will continue.

Shogun vs Lil nog is the gold standard for fights.

Back