Sherdog's Fight of the year 2005-2012

irollnaked

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Here is a list of what sherdog has considered Foty in the last 8 years:

2005: Maur

Last edited:
Hm, to me, on your list, I think Misaki/Santiago might be the best pure fight.

However, it wasn't that important and, in MMA history, isn't really important at all. Santiago went on to fail pretty spectacularly in the UFC and I'm not sure where Misaki is. That it still won FOTY despite this is just a testament to how purely good the fight was.

Good fights that didn't get FOTY? Of course, the first Chandler Alvarez fight. I really thought that was FOTY for that year? Also, Henderson/Rua, Bendo/Pettis I, Aldo/Hominick, Wanderlei Silva/Rampage II are memorable for me.

Lesnar vs Carwin, I'm not gonna say was an all-time great fight, but it was definitely memorable and was a huge moment at the time.

Which year was Diaz/Gomi? That was a great fight with a great story around it, too.

Out of the ones listed, definitely KZ vs Dustin Porier

But of course there are other fights i consider my favorite

My personal favorite among those fights are Henderson-Cerrone.

Factoring the stakes, I'd have to go with Edgar-Maynard. Based purely on the action, Santiago-Misaki.

Sanchez/Guida should have been the 2009 FOTY.

Chandler-Alvarez was fight of the year for 2011 IMO, and it had some tough competition with Edgar-Maynard and Rua-Henderson.

But for 2007 I'd say Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva. Talk about a battle

IIRC sherdog gave 2007's FOTY to Guida/Huerta. I could be wrong, though. Personally i'd give it to Chuck vs Wand, but 07 had tons of great fights tbh..

Can I just choose a year and say that 2011 was the shit?

IIRC sherdog gave 2007's FOTY to Guida/Huerta. I could be wrong, though. Personally i'd give it to Chuck vs Wand, but 07 had tons of great fights tbh..

Appreciate it. I couldnt find info any where for that year for some reason.

I haven't seen 2006 or 2008 fights. Henderson vs Cerrone really got me into the WEC guys though. Edgar-Maynard 2 did give me a whole new level of respect for Frankie though. I got to see Alvarez vs Kawajiri, it sounds like a barn burner.

Chuck/ Wandy should have been it for '07 or whenever that was. Overall, KZ/Poirier fits the bill well, plus Shogun/Hendo.

It's ridiculous to think Edgar/Maynard beat Rua/Bendo AND Alvarez/Chandler.

Sanchez/Guida should have been the 2009 FOTY.

Round of the year for the 1st but overall overrated fight considering the not too eventful 2nd and 3rd.

Henderson/Rua was quite possibly the best fight I ever saw in a cage.

Damn 2011 had the best fights. I put Edgar-Maynard, Henderson/ Rua and chandler/ Alvarez all above any of those other fights

Back