Sherdog Shooping Championship (SSC) - New Shoop Contests - Champions Will Be Crowned!

Which SSC weight classes are you interested in competing in?

• Total voters

Empty Emp

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
TLDR: We're crowning new shoop champions in different divisions. Vote for the divisions you're interested in. (Please read this full post at some point if you plan to compete in any contests.)

Hey shoopers and shoop fans! In the upcoming months, all current shoop competitions will be merged into the Sherdog Shoop Championship, which will consist of six weight classes. ISL will now be the heavyweight division, NGS will be middleweight, MS Paint will be lightweight, and three additional weight classes will be created. In each weight class, a champion will be crowned who will defend his or her title against the winners of future contests. The weight classes will be:

Heavyweight - Unrestricted gifs
Similar to ISL seasons, the Heavyweight division will allow any type of shoop, except shoops with audio (audio shoops would be considered Super Heavyweight).

Light Heavyweight - Gifs limited to 100 frames/10 seconds
Gifs are fun to make, but in shoop competitions, you have to plan on spending a lot of time on your gifs if you want to win. You can expect to spend 4-10 hours on a gif, if not more. A lot of people get burnt out after a couple rounds. The Light Heavyweight division is meant to remedy that. Gifs will not be allowed to exceed 100 frames or 10 seconds. Shoopers also won't be allowed to used advanced video editing software, such as After Effects, to eliminated advantages for advanced shoopers. Shoops must be made in Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.net or other software that is intended for photo editing, but may have gif editing capabilities. Animated MS Paint drawings are allowed in the Light Heavyweight division.

Middleweight - No gifs allowed/Static images only
Similar to NGS contests, the Middleweight division will not allow gifs or storyboard shoops. Only single frame static images are allowed.

Welterweight
- Phone shoops

The Welterweight division will have the same rules as the Middleweight division, except all shoops must be made in a phone app. Tablets will not be allowed to avoid technicalities like using Photoshop on a Surface Pro. Picsart seems to be the most capable app for shooping on phones. Sketchbook is also good, as it has traditional layers similar to Photoshop, but since it's meant for drawing, not photo editing, it has no cutout tools and you have to use the eraser to "cut out" objects.

Lightweight - MS Paint
The Lightweight will be for MS Paint drawings. No animated or storyboard drawings are allowed. Drawings must be made in MS Paint for Windows or Paintbrush for Mac. The Lightweight championship tournament is already underway as an extension of the recent MS Paint contest. If you missed out on that contest, you can still sign up for an alternate bout. Please PM @Empty Emp if you would like to be an alternate.

Featherweight - Phone Paint
The Featherweight division will have the same rules as the Lightweight division except all drawings must be made in a phone drawing app.

What is the purpose of the voting poll in this thread?
- The poll above will help figure out how much interest there is in each weight class.
- Please vote for EACH weight class you're interested in competing in.
- The poll results will play a part in determining the order in which the tournaments will occur.
- If you vote for a weight class, you will receive an announcement PM whenever there is an upcoming contest in that weight class.
- The poll will not expire and you can change your votes at any time.
- Voting does not mean you're officially signed up for any contests.
- There will be a public sign up thread before each contest.
- Anyone signed up for the Sherdog Shoop News PM list will be automatically included in the announcement PM for every weight class.
- To sign up for the Sherdog Shoop News, please PM @Empty Emp.

How will the inaugural champions be crowned?
- Inaugural championship tournaments will consist of 3 or 4 rounds, depending on how many people sign up.
- Round 1 will be a battle royal-style elimination round.
- The top 4 or 8 (depending on how many entered) will advance to a single elimination tournament.
- The winner of the single elimination tournament will be crowned the champion.
- If there are not enough contestants, the tournament format may change.

How will future title challengers be determined?
- After the inaugural championship tournaments, winners of subsequent contests will be considered the number one contender.
- The champion will defend against the number one contender in a head-to-head match.
- Champions can choose to compete in contests in the same weight class without risk of losing their belt if they do not win the contest. They will still have to defend against the winner.

What happens if a champion doesn't defend?
- Interim belts for everyone! (Just kidding!)
- If a champion doesn't defend by the time there are two title challengers in line, the champion will be stripped, and the two title challengers will compete to crown a new undisputed champion.

How long will it take to crown a champion in every division?
- Short answer: I don't know.
- If I have to guess, I think it will probably take about two months to organize and complete each tournament. If so, it would take a year for all six tournaments.
- It depends on how much interest there is in these contests, how busy the schedule of MMA events is, how busy I am, and a whole lot of other factors.
- To speed things up, some tournaments may overlap. For example, we may have the finals of the Lightweight tournament the same week as the elimination round of the tournament for the next weight class.
- Some divisions will move faster than others. If we still have vacant titles and it seems like Lightweight is ready for a new contest, Lightweight might jump to the front of the line.

I love shoops! How can I help?
- I only took over running the shoop contests a couple weeks ago, so I'm still in the early stages of planning this, and I'm sure there are a lot of things I haven't thought of yet. Any suggestions or questions you may have, please post them in this thread. The more input I have from everyone, the better these contests will be.
- I'm willing to run these contests on my own, but I wouldn't mind having a commission to help make decisions and plan contests. PM me if you'd be interested in joining a shoop commission.
- The most important thing that will help to keep these contests moving is participation. Sign up for contests if you're a shooper, and vote during the contests to show your appreciation for the great work that shoopers do.

Which contests should we expect to see next?
- Before I took over, the plan was to do a phone shoop contest next, so I'd like to stick to that plan and do Welterweight next. That will depend on how much interest there is in that weight class. If only a few people express interest, whichever weight class has the most interest will probably be next.
- The 3-year anniversary of Incredulous Cormier is coming up on August 10 and Cormier-Jones II is scheduled for July 29, so there will be an Incredulous Cormier anniversary contest. Aside from the date, all other details are still being worked out.

Non GIF (MW) and Paint (LW) for me, thanks.

Phone shoops for me.

OS27AWv.png

Picsart all day.

I've never done gifs.... or anything on a phone... but I'm interested in learning... so I guess I'm in for all of them.

I never did MS Paint before this latest competition, & now I'm about to become the champion. :cool: Inspiration story for people who want to try new stuff.. <cheer>

MW and LW for me. Thanks for putting this on.

War Shoopbros!!

Cruiserweight

Power Point !

Come at me bitches

SH8eyjX.jpg

Mll3ZuQ.jpg

Og9ojnn.jpg

qUqkevs.jpg

MMuI2Iq.jpg

Back