PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

30527468118_fc95f3708d_n.jpg
cpu benchmark r3 2[/url] by Robert Cotton, on Flickr[/IMG]

cpu benchmark r3 2 by Robert Cotton, on Flickr

The Verge built a computer and when they got roasted for it, they disabled the youtube comments.
jbareham_180831_2838_0045.jpg

I don't keep up on cell phone tech, are they really this bad with cell phones as well? There's only 3/4 nuts holding down the pump.
No, they're one of the best with smartphones, but that's why the fact their PC building guide doesn't mention the importance of RAM slotting is so astonishing.

No, they're one of the best with smartphones, but that's why the fact their PC building guide doesn't mention the importance of RAM slotting is so astonishing.
Well they obviously don't know a damn thing about building a computer. It looks like a couple of the standoff screws are missing as well.

What do you know about USB? I ran out of USB 2.0 headers and need to hook up one more. Only USB header I have left open is a USB 3.1 gen 2.
I found this USB 3.1 gen 1 adapter. I found wiring diagrams, the pin outs and wiring look the same. I just want to make sure there isn't a chip inside USB3.1 or anything goofy like that. I seen the NZXT Internal USB Hub but I'm running out of real estate in the back of my case.

The Verge built a computer and when they got roasted for it, they disabled the youtube comments.
jbareham_180831_2838_0045.jpg

This ones pretty funny in some parts. And I remembered it watching the one you posted when listening to some of his comments like the possibility that you yourself could get hurt if you weren’t wearing a static wrist band lol.

Well they obviously don't know a damn thing about building a computer. It looks like a couple of the standoff screws are missing as well.
Indeed. They need to stick to those smartphone roots. Everything he did was bizarre and felt like it was being taught by someone who just learned how to build yesterday himself. That's why I think he ended up running his RAM in single channel. Even the order of his component installation felt wonky. Reddit noticed:

Clearly they don't really care about PCs because the managing editor "TC" was convinced by this kid to let him build his new computer for Battlefield V, and this kid must be the resident "expert" because he successfully conned TC into thinking he knew what he was doing, and that they could even monetize the project with a YouTube video. Looks like that website is losing its identity. Understandable. Not a lot of intrigue in phone hardware, anymore. New generations are just more of the same.
What do you know about USB? I ran out of USB 2.0 headers and need to hook up one more. Only USB header I have left open is a USB 3.1 gen 2.
I found this USB 3.1 gen 1 adapter. I found wiring diagrams, the pin outs and wiring look the same. I just want to make sure there isn't a chip inside USB3.1 or anything goofy like that. I seen the NZXT Internal USB Hub but I'm running out of real estate in the back of my case.
By "header" you are referring to the port on the motherboard which connects and drives the USB front ports on the front of the case, correct? Your motherboard's only remaining header is a USB 3.1 Gen2 which feeds to the older, corresponding >USB 3.1 Gen1 pathway that connects the motherboard to these front ports, internally.

I'm afraid I don't know, but it sounds like a driver nightmare. Normally my suggestion would be to buy one of those USB 3.1 Gen2 Front Panels that you can install in a 5.25" bay. That way you'd be running a Gen2 header to a Gen2 receiver. Double check me, but I believe this would be appropriate:
https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-Fab-2-Port-Connector-Extender-Transfer/dp/B078Z52Y1X

I didn't watch this through, but it looks like this vid by Paul addresses your situation:

*Edit* USB blueprints:
https://www.mouser.com/pdfDocs/comchiparticleusb31andusbtype-c20150923.pdf

Last edited:
By "header" you are referring to the port on the motherboard which connects and drives the USB front ports on the front of the case, correct? Your motherboard's only remaining header is a USB 3.1 Gen2 which feeds to the older, corresponding >USB 3.1 Gen1 pathway that connects the motherboard to these front ports, internally.

I'm afraid I don't know, but it sounds like a driver nightmare. Normally my suggestion would be to buy one of those USB 3.1 Gen2 Front Panels that you can install in a 5.25" bay. That way you'd be running a Gen2 header to a Gen2 receiver. Double check me, but I believe this would be appropriate:
https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-Fab-2-Port-Connector-Extender-Transfer/dp/B078Z52Y1X

I didn't watch this through, but it looks like this vid by Paul addresses your situation:

*Edit* USB blueprints:
https://www.mouser.com/pdfDocs/comchiparticleusb31andusbtype-c20150923.pdf

Yep, that's what I mean by header.
I'm not looking to to add a USB-C port to my case. I need to adapt from the USB 3.1 Gen 2 header to a USB 2.0 header.

vyvod_usb_3_1_na_celni_panel_od_msi_02.jpg

to
dfhf_58cd139eb8096._usb-2-0-9pin-header-male-to-motherboard-usb-3-0-19pin-housing-female-cable-10cm.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that's what I mean by header.
I'm not looking to to add a USB-C port to my case. I need to adapt from the USB 3.1 Gen 2 header to a USB 2.0 header.
Yeah, I understood that. That's what I called a driver nightmare. You have the right conversion cable.

That's why I said I thought the alternative of adding a new USB front panel designed for that header would be preferable if possible-- if you have a 5.25" bay where it would fit (doesn't need to a "C" port, but I couldn't find the original type-A Asus hub on Amazon, but that third party front panel includes them, so it was the closest I could come).

Holy shit, that's 9 minutes of pure gold.

He has a behind the scenes video with extra footage on his Floatplane. I'm tempted to spend the $3 just to see that video.
At least The Verge gave the tech tubers something to make a video about to fill in the gap before RTX hits.

He has a behind the scenes video with extra footage on his Floatplane. I'm tempted to spend the $3 just to see that video.
At least The Verge gave the tech tubers something to make a video about to fill in the gap before RTX hits.
I had tears running down my face by the time he got to the thermal paste.

So I need a new mobo, the budget one I got in a parts deal only has one pci-e slot and no native WiFi.

So two problems right off the bat, I’m using a WiFi usb dongle, it’s not terribly slow, but not blazing fast either as far as WiFi goes. So there is no room for a WiFi card. And there is also no space for a capture card, which I’ve been thinking about getting.

So two issues right off the bat, and I kinda want to play with sli or the new nvlink depending on what that requires.

Here is the real question, I recently got two msi monitors, and msi has a pretty cool program for download with the ability to control some optimized settings and color profiles etc etc without jacking with the real toggle.

Download from msi, guess what? Won’t run on a non msi motherboard!! Thanks msi!!

So here is the real question, when picking mobo brands these days does the brand of other components come into play?

Would i be better off getting an msi mobo for the monitor controls(I’m leaning toward yes for my usage), but the next question is when I get a new gpu are there benifits to making sure i get the msi version like the msi gaming x or titanium??

I’ve never been a brand whore with anything and always get the best of what ever I like for the specific purpose, but it seems like today with newer computer components there might be benifits to making sure some things are the same brand??

Perfect example of how I normally mix and match stuff in other interests and hobbies I have.

For any knife and or cooking enthusiasts, I don’t buy all my knives same brand, or a box set. When I get a new knife for a specific purpose I look at each one available for that purpose and buy off that vs getting whatever is in x knife brand line up.

My knife block looks like an eplectic picked the knives out. It has Shun,Wustoff,J.A. Henckles, Smith bros butchers and Kitchen Aid knives in it(the kitchen aid are the Old Pro knife series from when kitchen aid made profession quality knives for consumers. Not the target junk)

Anyway, another non sensical rant from yours truely.

So I’ve seen quite a bit floating around the internet about NEVER run your Pc with a panel off etc.

Eh whatever, it’s not going to blow up.

Out of lazyness and some other tweaking reasons I haven’t been running the side panel on my pc(ryzen 3,gtx 970 nothing special) and decided today to put the panel on.

Guess what? It ran hotter at idle and moderate internet usage, I haven’t really taxed it hard with the panel on it , was writing emails and simple web based stuff some excel etc. and it was significantly warmer(but not hot)
So I took the panel back off and it came back down to where it was.

Swapped some stuff around and tried it with side panel on and top panel off, runs even cooler(my mobo is laying flat however, in a thermaltake core v21 case).

I have no rear fan though, just the giant front case fan, the amd stock cpu fan and the 3 fans on the windforce 970.

I’m thinking I need a rear fan, I’ll tax it harder tonight on some stuff and see what happens with the panels on and off again

But how do y’all roll? Panels missing or not?

Bryan found some more mistakes and a nice photo that shows how bad the cables are LOL

Back