PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

So i got an i5 8600k, basically i gathered its just a i7 clocked lower...wtf?

Ooh, noticed this from the other thread:

This is the same baseline $60 (after MIR) ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard referenced in my above notes from the #1721 build post for Prime Day's kickoff yesterday. It looks like every single sale on that build is still available (the NVMe SSD increased a mere $2).

Only thing without great prices is RAM, but Newegg is selling RAM on eBay, and eBay has a universal $25-off coupon today only under the code PRIMO119. Combined these are putting out better values than the Google Express SUMMERFUN discount:
Not from Newegg, but this seller has 99% positive across 2K+ sales, and you're likely to avoid sales tax:

Using your combo renders a total of $822 after the $40 MIRs [before applicable taxes] for the following R5-2600 build; $876 for the R7-2700 variant:
  • R5-2600 (w/Wraith Spire)
    • Optional: +$54 for the R7-2700 (with Wraith Spire)
  • RX 580 8GB, ASRock Phantom Gaming 8G OC*
  • ASRock AB350 Pro 4 ATX motherboard*
    • *Newegg Combo pictured in quote box above used
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CAS16 RAM, PNY Anarchy-X XLR8#
    • #PRIMO119 code used
  • 128GB m.2 (NVMe) SSD, Adata XPG SX6000
    • Optional: +$25 for the 256GB version
  • 2TB SSHD, Firecuda 2nd Gen Hybrid Drive (2TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache HDD + 8GB SSD)
  • EVGA 850W G3 Gold Fully Modular PSU
  • Corsair 270R MidATX Tower, Windowed^
    • ^SUMMERFUN discount used
    • Optional: +$30 for Fractal Define C TG under same SUMMERFUN deal via Google Express
Yowza.

Did you see the MSI trash can on Newegg flash for $899?
• Latest 7th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7-7700 processor
• Latest GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 with desktop level performance
• 6.5-liter and 27.8cm High Chassis, Desktop Gaming Redefined
• Exclusive Super RAID 4 (Dual NVMe M.2 SSDs by PCIe Gen3 X4 in RAID 0) (optional)
• Thunderbolt™ 3 supporting 40Gbps ultra speed data transfer rate, 4K@60Hz monitor output, and portable charging power up to 5V/3A with USB Type-C universal plug
• Killer DoubleShot-X3™ Pro (2x Killer Gb LAN + Killer 802.11 a/c WiFi)
https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA2TY7N01233?icid=WP_5_07162018

Did you see the MSI trash can on Newegg flash for $899?
• Latest 7th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7-7700 processor
• Latest GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 with desktop level performance
• 6.5-liter and 27.8cm High Chassis, Desktop Gaming Redefined
• Exclusive Super RAID 4 (Dual NVMe M.2 SSDs by PCIe Gen3 X4 in RAID 0) (optional)
• Thunderbolt™ 3 supporting 40Gbps ultra speed data transfer rate, 4K@60Hz monitor output, and portable charging power up to 5V/3A with USB Type-C universal plug
• Killer DoubleShot-X3™ Pro (2x Killer Gb LAN + Killer 802.11 a/c WiFi)
https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA2TY7N01233?icid=WP_5_07162018
No I hadn't, and shit on me, that's one hell of a deal. That's a worthy competitor to the $2099 Corsair One first gen entry model (i7-7700K + GTX 1080 + 16GB DDR4 + 480GB NVme SSD) with the less powerful mainstream GTX 1060 6GB GPU. Trash can, you say? I see a familiar design inspired by the beloved R2-D2, but not so much as to be legally accountable to the owners of that likeness:

MSI Vortex
ADYY_131747878180191448ArL1kOkSew.jpg

A2TY_1_201806261226889705.jpg

ADYY_131747878180991461kfMM6XQ2V2.jpg

ADYY_131747878182171493Q0yzpu9szQ.jpg

A2TY_1_201806261459964375.jpg

Brand new...figured you'd want to see:

5.1 GHz (1.3V)
5.35 GHz (1.4V)
5.35 GHz + MemOC (1.47V)

Last edited:
No I hadn't, and shit on me, that's one hell of a deal. That's a worthy competitor to the $2099 Corsair One first gen entry model (i7-7700K + GTX 1080 + 16GB DDR4 + 480GB NVme SSD) with the less powerful mainstream GTX 1060 6GB GPU. Trash can, you say? I see a familiar design inspired by the beloved R2-D2, but not so much as to be legally accountable to the owners of that likeness:

MSI Vortex
ADYY_131747878180191448ArL1kOkSew.jpg

A2TY_1_201806261226889705.jpg

ADYY_131747878180991461kfMM6XQ2V2.jpg

ADYY_131747878182171493Q0yzpu9szQ.jpg

A2TY_1_201806261459964375.jpg

Brand new...figured you'd want to see:

5.1 GHz (1.3V)
5.35 GHz (1.4V)
5.35 GHz + MemOC (1.47V)

I watched their live overclock of it. It dropped to $380 on Prime Day, it's still not work it for the performance unless you want bragging rights.

Guys, I would like to hear some ideas pls.
I need to assemble a PC for rendering, and I was thinking of it being an AMD-based system.
Is Ryzen-2700 powerful enough or should I get a Threadripper 1950x for rendering? As I understand one needs a lot of fast RAM and a powerful processor for rendering to be fast.

Whats funny is computers are so fast nowadays that 99% of people will never even need the speed of modern processors. I have a 3rd generation i5 that I just got and can record games in nearly 4k, edit/render videos, upload videos to youtube, run audacity, and play games all at the same time without any slowing down whatsoever.

I think the future of computers will eventually be supercomputers where you dont even have the computer at home, you just use the supercomputer over the internet much like you use the gotomypc program

Guys, I would like to hear some ideas pls.
I need to assemble a PC for rendering, and I was thinking of it being an AMD-based system.
Is Ryzen-2700 powerful enough or should I get a Threadripper 1950x for rendering? As I understand one needs a lot of fast RAM and a powerful processor for rendering to be fast.
Save your money on the thread ripper and get the r7+ a gpu.

Cpu vs cpu the thread ripper tears anything else a new asswhole rendering , but when you add a gpu it get a lot closer and a r7 with a gpu renders faster than just a thread ripper.

If rendering is your main concern look at some rendering type gpu’s like a quaddro even older cheap ones render pretty awesome.

I’ve been looking into this a bunch and adding a gpu makes worlds of difference, and pretty much any gpu, with major diminishing returns on newer models. Like a 560 would be all you would need. I even think the older amd GPUs are better at rendering but they have higher heat dissipation and higher power draw so there is that too.

Picking up a gtx 1050ti stupid cheap locally tonight,

My case should be here today.

Gonna have to get off the pot or crap now and get the rest of the stuff going or I’ll have a card and an empty case to stare at hahah

Found a really good deal on another computer i can rob some parts out of and flip I’m trying to get cheap too.

It’s power supply is way to big for what it is, gonna try and get it, take a few things out of it and get it up and running and flip.

Should be interesting. But I’m gonna oc it first and see what it can do for fun also.

Save your money on the thread ripper and get the r7+ a gpu.

Cpu vs cpu the thread ripper tears anything else a new asswhole rendering , but when you add a gpu it get a lot closer and a r7 with a gpu renders faster than just a thread ripper.

If rendering is your main concern look at some rendering type gpu’s like a quaddro even older cheap ones render pretty awesome.

I’ve been looking into this a bunch and adding a gpu makes worlds of difference, and pretty much any gpu, with major diminishing returns on newer models. Like a 560 would be all you would need. I even think the older amd GPUs are better at rendering but they have higher heat dissipation and higher power draw so there is that too.
My cousin said he has a GPU but I don't know which one yet. So a perfect combo would be a threadripper plus a rendering GPU, thanks, will look into that. I will learn what exact budget they have and set priorities from there.

My cousin said he has a GPU but I don't know which one yet. So a perfect combo would be a threadripper plus a rendering GPU, thanks, will look into that. I will learn what exact budget they have and set priorities from there.
The difference between a thread ripper and a gpu, is not that much from an r7 and a gpu.

While the difference between a thread ripper and an r7 by themselves is huge.

If you just want the fastest rendering possible(like for cad work) get a thread ripper and a quadro gpu.

What exactly are you rendering?

I watched their live overclock of it. It dropped to $380 on Prime Day, it's still not work it for the performance unless you want bragging rights.
The Turbo tells the tale these days. Long gone are the those years of darkness where the question lingered of what Intel could feasibly engineer if they really set their mind to it. The stock cooler can't even push out the quoted all-core Turbo for the i7-8700; it hits its temp governor, and throttles at 4.0 GHz-- never coming close to the quoted 4.3 GHz. Rather, the single core Turbo of the highest performer is steering closer and closer to what one can expect an unlocked CPU to reliably achieve with a powerful AIO cooler (NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair Hydro H115i v2, EVGA CLC 280) on a stable overclock with relatively low voltage.

For the i7-8086K that is 5.1GHz where Gamer's Nexus held 1.3V. That is also its single core Turbo max.
  • 8th Gen
    • 5.1 GHz = i7-8086K
    • 4.7 GHz = i7-8700K
    • 4.3 GHz = i5-8600K
  • Past Gens
    • 4.5 GHz = i7-7700K
    • 4.2 GHz = i7-6700K
    • 4.4 GHz = i7-4790K
    • 3.9 GHz = i7-4770K
    • 3.9 GHz = i7-3770K
    • 3.9 GHz = i7-2700K
    • 3.6 GHz = i7-880
    • 3.4 GHz = i7-960
evga-clc-benchmark-all-coolers.png
evga-clc-noise-levels_1.png

Last edited:
Think I caught a scammer trying to be shady, the cheap complete computer i was gonna get , guy started acting funny.

Said he still had it, asked when i could come check it out.

First reply asking if it was still available came lighting quick with a yes, when asked when I could come check it out slow reply with

“Check what out?”

So I said the comp we were just talking about

Slow to reply with

“What do you mean check it out? You mean inspect it?

I reply with

Yes, I want to know when I can come look at it to purchase to make sure it is as advertised

Zero responce lol.

Dude with the 1050ti was super easy to work with lived super close and was on the up and up.

So at least I scored a really good deal on a 1050, case still hasn’t shown up, tracking said it was on route at 9 this morning from local fed ex, need to check tracking again

Think I caught a scammer trying to be shady, the cheap complete computer i was gonna get , guy started acting funny.

Said he still had it, asked when i could come check it out.

First reply asking if it was still available came lighting quick with a yes, when asked when I could come check it out slow reply with

“Check what out?”

So I said the comp we were just talking about

Slow to reply with

“What do you mean check it out? You mean inspect it?

I reply with

Yes, I want to know when I can come look at it to purchase to make sure it is as advertised

Zero responce lol.

Dude with the 1050ti was super easy to work with lived super close and was on the up and up.

So at least I scored a really good deal on a 1050, case still hasn’t shown up, tracking said it was on route at 9 this morning from local fed ex, need to check tracking again
What case did you get?

The difference between a thread ripper and a gpu, is not that much from an r7 and a gpu.

While the difference between a thread ripper and an r7 by themselves is huge.

If you just want the fastest rendering possible(like for cad work) get a thread ripper and a quadro gpu.

What exactly are you rendering?
Me? Nothing) It is my cousin's GF, she works with video and graphics. Thanks for the info, I will tell later what I assembled and how it works:)

What case did you get?
I ordered the fractile from my case thread that got merged

I just checked the tracking again said it left the fed ex location on the other side of town 2 hrs ago, and will arrive tomorrow afternoon, looks like they are sending it to a closer fed ex location to me and to a delivery truck from there.

Don’t know why it went to the one way on the other side of town first I live my the airport and the location closest to me is the hub.

Last edited:
Case showed up, box is beat to shit, hope it’s packed good.

Looks like it was thrown out of the fed ex plane as it passed over the airport.

Getting ready for my moms birthday this weekend don’t have time to open it up and check will have to wait.

Hey guys, my computer is basically complete. I sent it off to a friend to do some final touches and noticed i dont have a backplate for the Water cooling unit. Which i use a X61 krakan, i saw a third party backplate an was wondering will that work? it was on amazon for 8$ and its for I5 1151 backplate mount

i want to know ASAP so i can order it

Last edited:
Hey guys, my computer is basically complete. I sent it off to a friend to do some final touches and noticed i dont have a backplate for the Water cooling unit. Which i use a X61 krakan, i saw a third party backplate an was wondering will that work? it was on amazon for 8$ and its for I5 1151 backplate mount

i want to know ASAP so i can order it
Did you try contacting NZXT directly?

Back