PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

If it runs slow try these things first.

First and foremost always back up important pictures and files.
Then back up your back up. That way if you really fuck something up or your hard drive
is damaged you still have a copy of the important stuff.

Install CCleaner run cleaner
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard
After doing this go to startup section and look at what programs start when your computer first boots up
While there disable even ccleaner and malwarebytes from starting. Be careful what you disable.

Then install Malwarebytes update and run
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Whatever browser you are using make sure it is updated
and install ublock origin pop up blocker

Maybe try
Palemoon browser.
https://www.palemoon.org/

While you are at it unplug your modem and router and leave them for a few minutes
then plug up modem wait and then plug up router. Most people dont do this very often.

I would install SSD drive if you dont already have one. At least 250GB or more.

Samsung ssd's work well and include cloning software.
Once you start using SSD you will never go back.

Hope this helps.

Apart from the SSD and unless TS has some serious bloat, I don’t think your cleaning suggestions will add anything more than say 10%. Even a complete reinstall will not help much.

He ain’t going to run any new game unless it’s an indy. 4-5 years qualifies for a new complete package if he wants to play anything IMO.

Or get an upgraded console.

Apart from the SSD and unless TS has some serious bloat, I don’t think your cleaning suggestions will add anything more than say 10%. Even a complete reinstall will not help much.

He ain’t going to run any new game unless it’s an indy. 4-5 years qualifies for a new complete package if he wants to play anything IMO.

A 1060 6gb in any i5 from Sandy Bridge on up will still give med-high on 1080p on a lot of games.

PCParticker is an amazing site if you wanna know the trend fr pricing. For example, this card I picked at random, the prices were about $700 dollars in October last year, however, prices are around $1.3k-$1.4 right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YN...x-video-card-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x-11g

I was gonna try build one recently but these prices are damn stupid. Fuck bitcoin and crypto, hope that shit crashes.
What the hell.. My GTX 970 is listed at $840 US ($1055 CDN) when I paid maybe $350 CDN for it December 2015.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zp98TW/asus-video-card-strixgtx970dc2oc4gd5

I'm sitting here with a damn GTX660 and would have to pay what I paid for my entire computer 3-4 years ago for a near top of the line GTX card now, and lord knows I need one

I agree about the gaming. If it has been that long he does need some upgrades.

I was addressing this statement.

"Well i have noticed my computer just runs really slowly"

That said most people that don't know much about computers. They have installed tons of programs over the years, which compete at startup and run in background, don't update much of anything, don't have a popup blocker
and often have an assortment of viruses, browser hijackers and spyware on their PCs.

I see your 10% estimate and raise you 20%.

Last edited:
hat said most people that don't know much about computers. They have installed tons of programs over the years, which compete at startup and run in background, don't update much of anything, don't have a popup blocker
and often have an assortment of viruses, browser hijackers and spyware on their PCs.
That sounds about right actually lol

So i am only waiting on one component of my gaming PC to arrive, and am starting to look at monitors.

I uderstand i need at least a 144hz refresh rate, and a response time of 1ms is probably best as well.

But what resolution am i best looking at in reality?

My rig has a 1080 and an i7 8700 with 16g ram and i've read a few tales about 4k just not being up to scratch or optimized at the moment, and the 4k gaming monitors are stupidly high priced.

The 1080p monitors however for a good 27" look to be a reasonable price at around the £350 mark(about $500) but will i want to play with a higher resolution going forwards?

Any advice is welcome, i have a PC that plays games, but this is my first proper gaming PC.

So i am only waiting on one component of my gaming PC to arrive, and am starting to look at monitors.

I uderstand i need at least a 144hz refresh rate, and a response time of 1ms is probably best as well.

My rig has a 1080 and an i7 8700 with 16g ram and i've read a few tales about 4k just not being up to scratch or optimized at the moment, and the 4k gaming monitors are stupidly high priced.

The 1080p monitors however for a good 27" look to be a reasonable price at around the £350 mark(about $500) but will i want to play with a higher resolution going forwards?

Any advice is welcome, i have a PC that plays games, but this is my first proper gaming PC.

There are a number of factors to consider but my advice to you with your gpu is to shoot for a 2k monitor. 4K would run with much lower fps and you would basically need a gsync monitor to get a quality gaming experience.

If you do decide to go with a 2k your options are pretty open as you really don't need a gsync as your fps will not be dipping down into sub 60 numbers. Having said that if you want gsync anyway the dell 27 inch gsync is the best on the market if you want a 1 ms refresh. Some people prefer ips monitors due to a wider color gamut but for gaming nothing beats tn yet imo.

I'm not sure what the best non gsync option is tbh so I will leave others to chime in; however, I wouldn't personally go with an Asus or acer lately as their qc has been absolutely abysmal for whatever reason on monitors unless you have to for financial reasons and just be aware you may have to rma up to a few times if you do.

You planning on playing online multiplayer shooters? Because if you're not, then you may not need that refresh rate.

I mean, if budget is not an issue, then by all means get all the bells and whistles. However, I got a 32" Samsung that's average on the other specs.... but it's gorgeous and I love it. Got it on sale for $250.

However, I understand the need to get every edge you can for the ultra competitive fast paced online games though.

I'll be playing online games but i am by no means an avid competetive gamer, nor do i plan to be anytime soon.

I just think that with me spending as much as i am on the actual PC, is it worth just buying an all singing and dancing monitor at the same time?

I'm also reading a bunch of people saying that curved is the way to go for a better gaming experience

I don't think a human eye will be able to tell 120hz from anything above it.
07046a8ebceb9243917bc4e6fb7ee677.png

I'll be playing online games but i am by no means an avid competetive gamer, nor do i plan to be anytime soon.

I just think that with me spending as much as i am on the actual PC, is it worth just buying an all singing and dancing monitor at the same time?

I'm also reading a bunch of people saying that curved is the way to go for a better gaming experience

Honestly it seems preferential to me in regard to a curved monitor. I don't like them personally and they cost more so it's a no from me.

My absolute favorite monitor is the dell 27" 2k which is why I own it. That was a choice I made where cost was no object. There are a lot of things you could consider like how far away you sit etc. and realize bigger isn't always better. Sitting too close to an enormous monitor can actually be frustrating as you will miss things at the edges etc.

Also in regard to all the bells and whistles. New tech doesn't always mean better per say. Gsync for example isn't really valuable until you drop down into lower frame rates. It doesn't really matter if the monitor syncs at 100 fps as the value in that just isn't there until the individual frames start to be more noticeable with lower rates. It's actually more valuable if you are running an older gpu or trying to run an underpowered gpu in 4K.

My friend has dual 970's and his $175 144 hz monitor looks almost indistinguishable in regard to gameplay from my dell 2716 gsync run on a single 1080 ti. The only advantage the the significantly higher cost of my system is that it should be more future proof. That's really it.

You don't need 144Hz, but if you're not getting one of the more expensive 4K monitors, and I agree that's probably a good idea, then there's little reason to get a display below 75Hz. There are plenty of monitors in the 120Hz-144Hz range. You definitely don't need a 1ms response time. That depends on your refresh rate. Higher refresh rates demand lower response times in order to keep up:

Response Time thresholds

exceeding this maximum allowance in any frame will produce a "ghost" of that pixel
  • 1s / 60Hz = 16.6ms
  • 1s / 100Hz = 10.0ms
  • 1s / 120Hz = 8.3ms
  • 1s / 144Hz = 6.9ms
  • 1s / 240Hz = 4.2ms
If the 4K monitors are too expensive for you, then that probably means the ideal gaming monitors out there (the 34" Ultrawide 1440p G-Sync monitors) are also prohibitively expensive. I'm talking about the Asus ROG PG348Q and Acer Predator X34. So you might look at the 2560x1080 Ultrawide G-Sync monitors, or if not G-Sync, those that run 144Hz+.

Otherwise, the best 27" 1080p/1440p G-Sync monitors you can find from ~100Hz-144Hz will probably be the best options in your price range, or the best that aren't G-Sync capable, but only if they're 144Hz+.

Resources:
https://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/
https://www.monitornerds.com/best-gaming-monitor-for-you-144hz-1440p-gsync-freesync-4k/

You don't need 144Hz, but if you're not getting one of the more expensive 4K monitors, and I agree that's probably a good idea, then there's little reason to get a display below 75Hz. There are plenty of monitors in the 120Hz-144Hz range. You definitely don't need a 1ms response time. That depends on your refresh rate. Higher refresh rates demand lower response times in order to keep up:

Response Time thresholds

exceeding this maximum allowance in any frame will produce a "ghost" of that pixel
  • 1s / 60Hz = 16.6ms
  • 1s / 100Hz = 10.0ms
  • 1s / 120Hz = 8.3ms
  • 1s / 144Hz = 6.9ms
  • 1s / 240Hz = 4.2ms
If the 4K monitors are too expensive for you, then that probably means the ideal gaming monitors out there (the 34" Ultrawide 1440p G-Sync monitors) are also prohibitively expensive. I'm talking about the Asus ROG PG348Q and Acer Predator X34. So you might look at the 2560x1080 Ultrawide G-Sync monitors, or if not G-Sync, those that run 144Hz+.

Otherwise, the best 27" 1080p/1440p G-Sync monitors you can find from ~100Hz-144Hz will probably be the best options in your price range, or the best that aren't G-Sync capable, but only if they're 144Hz+.

Resources:
https://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/
https://www.monitornerds.com/best-gaming-monitor-for-you-144hz-1440p-gsync-freesync-4k/

Thanks for your opinion, while i like your knowledge on the matter, i find it kind of condescending that you are trying to imply that a monitor is too expensive for me, a bit of a passive aggressive comment.

And then you talk about 'price range'...i actually dont care what it costs, i just want to purchase the best monitor for my set up.

Back