Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Took the plunge, have gone with the following:

8GB EVGA GTX1080 SC
ASUS PRIME Z370-P Motherboard
250GB Samsung Evo SSD
1TB WD Blue Sata 3 6BG/s 7200rpm 64mb Cache HDD
16GB Corsair DDR4 300mhx Vengence LPX Black
i7 8700k, Cofee Lake, 6 Core, 12 Thread, 3.7bhz, 4.7ghz turbo, 12MB cache

And a big bunch of lights and liquid cooling and shit as well, its being overclocked also and has 3 years warranty as it is a specially built machine.

Oh, and i've bought an Occulus Rift at the same time, now i gotta choose my monitor <Moves>

I can still cancel for 24 hours so if any of you spot anything amiss, please shout out so i know
It's a total beast of a system. If you have the funds though, I'd get a bigger SSD. The load times are so much better, but you'll fill that up pretty quickly. My main drive is 1TB SSD and I'm constantly having to uninstall Steam games, but I'm an ADHD case and like to jump around. I'm sure 500 gigs will be fine. A lot of big titles are in the 30+ gigs now, so that will fill up quickly too, but cost is a factor.

Last edited:
So guys, i had second thoughts on this at the last minute, but have just ordered all of the parts...finally

i7 8700
EVGA 1080ti
16gig Patriot Venom 3200hx ddr4 RAM
Samsung Evo 500gb SSD

Also got a water cooler, a socket 1151 MB and a case

Already own a few normal TB HDDs to throw in there for games/movies

As others pointed out, and i took it on board, 16gb of RAM was better and a bigger SSD was needed(i already own a 256 and it doesnt have a ton of space left on it)

The good times are on their way guys...now where are those poor ass console gamers at....

I would recommend a 1080ti since you want to do VR but fuck me, have the prices gone up. I assume this is all because of shitty bitcoin and their obnoxious concensus algorithm that spawned all these amateur mining operations.

I was looking for another 1080ti to SLI and I saw listings from legit sites like Newegg as high as $1500!!! The average price is now easily $200 more than what I paid and that was a year ago.

So maybe just go with an AMD card. Hopefully it does t have the same inflation as NVIDIA.

I would recommend a 1080ti since you want to do VR but fuck me, have the prices gone up. I assume this is all because of shitty bitcoin and their obnoxious concensus algorithm that spawned all these amateur mining operations.

I was looking for another 1080ti to SLI and I saw listings from legit sites like Newegg as high as $1500!!! The average price is now easily $200 more than what I paid and that was a year ago.

So maybe just go with an AMD card. Hopefully it does t have the same inflation as NVIDIA.
its worse lol

I think i ended up paying £700 for my 1080ti, there was a LOT of other sites trying to charge a lot more though

works out at $980 currently

It's a total beast of a system. If you have the funds though, I'd get a bigger SSD. The load times are so much better, but you'll fill that up pretty quickly. My main drive is 1TB SSD and I'm constantly having to uninstall Steam games, but I'm an ADHD case and like to jump around. I'm sure 500 gigs will be fine. A lot of big titles are in the 30+ gigs now, so that will fill up quickly too, but cost is a factor.
You realize you can move your games back and forth from your SSD and HDD don't you?

With the price of SSD's right now, I do.
I can respect that. I like play a few games at a time, and the ones I'm currently hopping between (GTA V, Evil within 2, Battlefield 1, Star Ocean remaster and Trails of Cold Steel) push me over 200 gigs alone. I like being able to boot either up on a whim without worry of space.

SSD's are expensive though, so if you're the kind of person who can focus on one game at a time, or money is tight, I can understand. Those load speeds are such a great luxury though.

Admittedly i know jack shit about computers and am barely literate when it comes to technology in general. Usually if i need to upgrade my computer i go to my brother or a friend of mine who are computer savvy and basically pick out parts for me after giving them a budget to work with. Unfortunatley this time when i asked my brother about helping me upgrade my computer (4-5 years old by now) he said it was possibly the worst time to purchase parts because there has been a recent spike in pricing due to the whole bitcoin/crypto currency popularity. Basically he said people are buying up parts like it's no ones business and somehow this has increased the price for everything.

So is this true? I could look up prices but i wouldn't know what to compare them to. Has there been some huge surge of pricing?

GPU pricing is mostly well above MSRP. I could have sold my 1080 used for about 200$ more than I paid for it new. I did sell a 7 year old GPU for almost $200.

The prices for memory are somewhat inflated too. SSD prices are slightly inflated to where they "should" be too, but there are frequent sales.

Some places (in the states) are offering bundles with msrp priced GPUs if they are paired with mobos etc.

Any idea what parts you want to upgrade?

Last edited:
PCParticker is an amazing site if you wanna know the trend fr pricing. For example, this card I picked at random, the prices were about $700 dollars in October last year, however, prices are around $1.3k-$1.4 right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YN...x-video-card-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x-11g

I was gonna try build one recently but these prices are damn stupid. Fuck bitcoin and crypto, hope that shit crashes.

GPU pricing is mostly well above MSRP. I could have sold my 1080 used for about 200$ more than I paid for it new. I did sell a 7 year old GPU for almost $200.

The prices for memory are somewhat inflated too. SSD prices are slightly inflated to where they "should" be too, but there are frequent sales.

Some places (in the states) are offering bundles with msrp priced GPUs if they are paired with mobos etc.

Any idea what parts you want to upgrade?
Well i have noticed my computer just runs really slowly and my brother said that i should back up my important files on an external hard drive and basically reboot everything and maybe get something for more RAM but that's about it. I mentioned some new pc games in the future i would like to get and mentioned a video card but he told me to forget video cards right now because those are the most inflated!

Well i have noticed my computer just runs really slowly and my brother said that i should back up my important files on an external hard drive and basically reboot everything and maybe get something for more RAM but that's about it. I mentioned some new pc games in the future i would like to get and mentioned a video card but he told me to forget video cards right now because those are the most inflated!
tbh backup and fresh reinstall of windows should help a lot.

If you want to post your build in the main pc thread I'm sure some folks can suggest viable upgrade paths. But yes, videocards are mostly terribly priced right now.

Sold a Radeon 380 for $125, wasn't going to screw anyone over with the current crypto craze. You could tell the buyer was using it for gaming as well. I remember the first crypto wave a few years back, had to wait until it died down to buy a decent card. It really sucks for the people that need a new card, coolers, RAM, etc.

If it runs slow try these things first.

First and foremost always back up important pictures and files.
Then back up your back up. That way if you really fuck something up or your hard drive
is damaged you still have a copy of the important stuff.

Install CCleaner run cleaner
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard
After doing this go to startup section and look at what programs start when your computer first boots up
While there disable even ccleaner and malwarebytes from starting. Be careful what you disable.

Then install Malwarebytes update and run
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Whatever browser you are using make sure it is updated
and install ublock origin pop up blocker

Maybe try
Palemoon browser.
https://www.palemoon.org/

While you are at it unplug your modem and router and leave them for a few minutes
then plug up modem wait and then plug up router. Most people dont do this very often.

I would install SSD drive if you dont already have one. At least 250GB or more.

Samsung ssd's work well and include cloning software.
Once you start using SSD you will never go back.

Hope this helps.

Back