PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

When I'm building a new pc, usually every 4 to 5 years with a card upgrade in between, I go top of the line cpu, motherboard and lots of ram. The card I buy depends on where in the cycle releases are. So long as I buy a great card a couple of years later, that pattern serves me well.

Being so late in the cycle, just buy a 1070, or the r480. The price you're going to pay for a 1080 isn't worth it as better cards are on the near horizon.

Just checked Newegg the other day out of curiosity. Some 1070s are going for 1200. It's nuts.
wow, fucking bitcoin miners probably lol, they killed the r480 market for a while.

When I'm building a new pc, usually every 4 to 5 years with a card upgrade in between, I go top of the line cpu, motherboard and lots of ram. The card I buy depends on where in the cycle releases are. So long as I buy a great card a couple of years later, that pattern serves me well.

Being so late in the cycle, just buy a 1070, or the r480. The price you're going to pay for a 1080 isn't worth it as better cards are on the near horizon.
The problem right now is that the AIOs are destroying custom built prices, but the RX 580 and GTX 1060 pre-builds tend to come with lesser/older CPUs and motherboards since they're not as likely to be designed with overclockable cooling. They also are less likely to come with SSDs, and the ones that do are usually 128GB or smaller, so they're not terribly practical for game installations (just the OS and other programs). Finally, they're also more likely to come with just 8GB of RAM which means you'll be on the hunt for an additional 2x4GB of sticks (which tend not to be priced favorably).

It's a storm of unfavorable choices.

I must admit that from a PC powerhog's perspective a console has never looked so good, in terms of value, as the Xbox One X.

The problem right now is that the AIOs are destroying custom built prices, but the RX 580 and GTX 1060 pre-builds tend to come with lesser/older CPUs and motherboards since they're not as likely to be designed with overclockable cooling. They also are less likely to come with SSDs, and the ones that do are usually 128GB or smaller, so they're not terribly practical for game installations (just the OS and other programs). Finally, they're also more likely to come with just 8GB of RAM which means you'll be on the hunt for an additional 2x4GB of sticks (which tend not to be priced favorably.

It's a storm of unfavorable choices.

I must admit that from a PC powerhog's perspective a console has never looked so good, in terms of value, as the Xbox One X.
I always custom build mine. Even if you don't know how, there are places that will do it for you for a reasonable fee. i always suggest that so you can get exactly what you want. Always build with being able to upgrade components for a while in mind. Pick a good motherboard folks, that's always underrated I find

Consoles are always a good secondary thing for me, just for exclusives. That Xbox One X is a little beast for its dollar, but there aren't enough games IMO.

hey guys,

thanks for all the responses, TBH ,the difference in price between buying an i7 8700 with a 1080 and one with a 1070 are pretty negligible to me, i may as well pay £150 extra for the better card

Looking at this, it comes in at £1683.31 after delivery and comes pre-configured and overclocked

• Intel Core i5 8600K 6-core
  • Professionally overclocked up to 4.8GHz
  • Asus Prime Z370-P, Intel Z370 Chipset
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz
  • 8GB EVGA GTX 1080
  • 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD & 1TB HDD

How much do you want to
Looking at this, it comes in at £1683.31 after delivery and comes pre-configured and overclocked

• 8GB EVGA GTX 1080

I dont know what that is in dollars, but that is a solid setup. I would go 1440p or 3440x1440 ultrawide for the best experience.

• 8GB EVGA GTX 1080

What monitor you running though bro? If its 1080p the 1080 is overkill. Also the 8gb Ram is letting you down, Ideally you want 16gb for future proofing.

• 8GB EVGA GTX 1080
If you're only using a 1080p monitor, get the 1070 and use that cash to buy more ram, 16 gig min

What monitor you running though bro? If its 1080p the 1080 is overkill. Also the 8gb Ram is letting you down, Ideally you want 16gb for future proofing.
8GB is fine for gaming

8GB is fine for gaming

Yeah, I'm going to disagree. I've had 8gb and it wasn't great, games like Fallout 4 greatly benefit from larger and faster ram.
Why bother getting 8gb when you can get 16 and be ready for future games? Why handicap yourself?

Yeah, I'm going to disagree. I've had 8gb and it wasn't great, games like Fallout 4 greatly benefit from larger and faster ram.
Why bother getting 8gb when you can get 16 and be ready for future games? Why handicap yourself?
Fallout 4 is a rare exception. It would be me like saying you need 8/16 cores because Ashes benefits from all those cores.
Here's the thing with higher speed ram kits like the ddr4 4000 stuff, you could have taken that extra money you spent and bumped up to the next processor. Usually.
The biggest reason right now to go 8gb vs 16gb is price.

Fallout 4 is a rare exception. It would be me like saying you need 8/16 cores because Ashes benefits from all those cores.
Here's the thing with higher speed ram kits like the ddr4 4000 stuff, you could have taken that extra money you spent and bumped up to the next processor. Usually.
The biggest reason right now to go 8gb vs 16gb is price.

If he's getting that processor he may as well get 16gb 2666 or 3000 would be better than the 8gb he has picked.

• 8GB EVGA GTX 1080
That's a monster that can handle pretty much anything at 1440p.

I'd consider getting 16 gb of ram, though.

If you like having a browser with plenty of tabs open when you game go for 16 gb of ram.

Guys, I haven't even looked at monitors yet, but I won't be scrimping for that.

I don't mind upping the ram to 16, I was advised it wasn't needed with that gpu though.

Took the plunge, have gone with the following:

8GB EVGA GTX1080 SC
ASUS PRIME Z370-P Motherboard
250GB Samsung Evo SSD
1TB WD Blue Sata 3 6BG/s 7200rpm 64mb Cache HDD
16GB Corsair DDR4 300mhx Vengence LPX Black
i7 8700k, Cofee Lake, 6 Core, 12 Thread, 3.7bhz, 4.7ghz turbo, 12MB cache

And a big bunch of lights and liquid cooling and shit as well, its being overclocked also and has 3 years warranty as it is a specially built machine.

Oh, and i've bought an Occulus Rift at the same time, now i gotta choose my monitor <Moves>

I can still cancel for 24 hours so if any of you spot anything amiss, please shout out so i know

Welcome, brother, to the glorious realm of PC gaming. Where the graphics will blow your mind, the buttery framerates will warm your soul, the chivalrous mod communities will extend the life of your games beyond your comprehension, and the cheap game prices will make your wallet (and wife) very happy.

GPUs are such a joke now. They were literally half the price last month

Back