Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I'm excited to see what Corsair is going to be coming out with. A lot of EK's upper management and R&D team members quit to go to Corsair.

i have the kraken X62

but im considering enlarging to a XPC

i have the kraken X62

but im considering enlarging to a XPC

I use a XSPC Raystorm and the EX series radiators. I'm not a huge fan of the Raystorm aesthetically, I'm probably going to change it at the my next loop draining.
Make sure you check clearances for those XSPC radiators in that kit, they're thicc as the kids say these days. Remember to have at least 120mm for each component and an additional 120mm per component if you overclock it.

I use a XSPC Raystorm and the EX series radiators. I'm not a huge fan of the Raystorm aesthetically, I'm probably going to change it at the my next loop draining.
Make sure you check clearances for those XSPC radiators in that kit, they're thicc as the kids say these days. Remember to have at least 120mm for each component and an additional 120mm per component if you overclock it.

whata re you gonna upgrade or change it over too?

whata re you gonna upgrade or change it over too?
I'm not sure yet. I want a white block, but no one makes them.
The leader so far is the Bitspower Summit EF and then change to a white bracket
IMG_6059.jpg

Yeah, this is fucking ridiculous, even used cards are ridiculous. 980ti's are going for $450 used. Even 970's in the used market have doubled in price, you used to be able to pick one up for around $130.

Idk what effect the Cyrpto shit has had on your GPU market in the US, but in Australia there has been practically 0 change in price. used 970 is about $250aud so about $160usd. new 1070 is about 430usd

Idk what effect the Cyrpto shit has had on your GPU market in the US, but in Australia there has been practically 0 change in price. used 970 is about $250aud so about $160usd. new 1070 is about 430usd
Yes, we're spoiled, but it fucking sucks here.

I'm an American, goddamit. What the fuck are these 5th world prices???? This is what we charge the peasants!!!

You'd think if they wanted to make money they'd just get the huge Quatro or whatever it is Nvidia make. That 24gb one.

i thought us brothers stick together..

Have you so abandoned me ?

Tell me how the 8700k is, now is freakin @Quipling can shhh for a min, let me believe lol

Well, verdict is...honestly, pretty good. Working on tweaking to maximize Firestrike and Time Spy scores, but it's pretty good for stock.

PrvKLcg.png

6qrWMX1.jpg

Fire Strike put me in the top 2% of tested machines. Time Spy put me in the top 11%.

As far as usage, it's on another level compared to my i5-4690k. Just chews through everything without so much as a hitch. I need to tweak it with the Asus AI utility to get my optimal setup, but again, stock is great right now. Thermal issues are nil.

Newegg has a PowerColor Red Devil RX580 8gb for $430 right now and it will be sold out within the hour.
This is the prices we've been dealing with
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 8000 4814 601201888 601204369 601275822 601296707

On May 8th, I paid $115.96 for this 1050ti card from Amazon. Now it's $210.

So i just got back from a gaming thing a few miles form my house, and was absolutely blown away by the displays and the general greatness of the PCs they had, they were top of the range i7's with GTX 1080's in them.

How much of a difference is in performance between a 1080 and a 1070?

And do i really need a top of the range i7?

Me and my son also got to play on the Rift 2 player robot game thing and it was absolutely special, so if i wanted to go for a top end PC, i would want it to be a bit future proof and also be able to run VR at a canter(these has giant 49inch TVs being displayed beside the person on the VR so everyone else could spectate)

I wont even get started on the monitors or the quality of the keyboard and mouse, i feel like im typing this on a fucking chalkboard

So i just got back from a gaming thing a few miles form my house, and was absolutely blown away by the displays and the general greatness of the PCs they had, they were top of the range i7's with GTX 1080's in them.

How much of a difference is in performance between a 1080 and a 1070?
The kind of GPU you want should depend on the game you want and what level performance you want. My GTX 1080 is good for 1440p with 100+fps. If you want 1080 60fps, you don't need a 1080 or really even a 1070.

And do i really need a top of the range i7?
No. You'll want something respectable, but you don't need the very best. GPU is the most important thing for most gaming purposes. My i3-8350k does not bottleneck my GPU. It has great speed, and "only" 4 cores.

Me and my son also got to play on the Rift 2 player robot game thing and it was absolutely special, so if i wanted to go for a top end PC, i would want it to be a bit future proof and also be able to run VR at a canter(these has giant 49inch TVs being displayed beside the person on the VR so everyone else could spectate)

I wont even get started on the monitors or the quality of the keyboard and mouse, i feel like im typing this on a fucking chalkboard
Lots of GPUs can support vr these days.

You can get a decent mechanical keyboard for pretty cheap. My coworker types on one - it was $20. My fancier one was about $50, though the price can go up from there.

so far my gtx1070 has ran every game fine at max settings 1080p, but not sure how much longer thats gonna be the case.

you shouldnt buy anything right now though, the prices are insane beacuse of the cryptomining. wait and hope that it dies down soon.

As others have said, the GPU is more important than processor.

I've just upgraded to the new i5 with six cores and a 1070Ti. I can run everything on ultra and get rock solid frame rates.

so if i wanted to go for a top end PC,

All of your questions are impossible to answer accurately. For Pc builds vary depending upon single player or multiplayer games and the game engine used.

Its also worth noting that your cost will be quadruple that of a regular Pc gamer. Since you are starting the Pc build from scratch.

Thread reminds me it's been 4 years since I built my rig. Time to gift this thing to my wife and properly get into 4K.

You'd be more than set for YEARS to come @ 1080p, 60fps Ultra settings with a decent i5 and 1070.

Things is, theses stupid alt currency miners have made GPU prices SKYROCKET. So if you're going to get a PC, I'd recommend buying pre-built. A 1080ti will cost over 1,000$ right now. a 1070 in the 700-800$ range. A pre-built with one of these cards and other high end hardware will be 1200$ ~ or so. I'd say wait 6-12 months so this bitcoin craze can die down and prices can drop back to where they need to be.

I would not spend more than 350-400 on a high end GPU.

What do you guys think about the DX Racer Racing chair for $300?
956.jpg

so far my gtx1070 has ran every game fine at max settings 1080p, but not sure how much longer thats gonna be the case.

you shouldnt buy anything right now though, the prices are insane beacuse of the cryptomining. wait and hope that it dies down soon.
Just checked Newegg the other day out of curiosity. Some 1070s are going for 1200. It's nuts.

Back