PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I was a believer of untidy cables affecting airflow and temps back in the day. Then the internet came along and proved me wrong. After building like that for so many years, it's hard to break that habit.
In the past couple of years, affordable cosmetics have really taken off in pc building.
10 years ago, shit like this and blue led fans were the extent of mods
ka3_011.jpg

Yea I had a coworker who I would always bring my PC too when building one because he loved making the cables nice and neat.

No reaction to my post about NUC's.
Nobody into that stuff ?
If you want to do 4K Netflix, you need a Kaby Lake CPU. Netflix uses a h264 10 bit codec that requires either a Kaby lake CPU or Nvidia 10 series gpu.
If you're just doing video, you can get away with a Pentium processor, just make sure it has 2/4 cores. 2 physical cores, 2 hyperthreaded.

If you want to do 4K Netflix, you need a Kaby Lake CPU. Netflix uses a h264 10 bit codec that requires either a Kaby lake CPU or Nvidia 10 series gpu.
If you're just doing video, you can get away with a Pentium processor, just make sure it has 2/4 cores. 2 physical cores, 2 hyperthreaded.

I3 with a Intel HD 620 card plus 8gb ram is what I'm looking at right now.

I3 with a Intel HD 620 card plus 8gb ram is what I'm looking at right now.
What's the model number of the CPU? 8gb of ram enough for a htpc, there's really no need to go higher. Those onboard graphics will handle 1080p just fine, don't expect to play any games though.

What's the model number of the CPU? 8gb of ram enough for a htpc, there's really no need to go higher. Those onboard graphics will handle 1080p just fine, don't expect to play any games though.

i3 - 7100U , I believe

Been dying to sell my current desktop (i7 3770K, 12GB ram, 290x) and build a new one but games this year haven't been demanding at all (popular games like fortnite,forza 7, players unknown, and divinity orginal sin 2 run perfect). Most popular titles this year are not demanding and run flawless on old hardware

Will wait till next Summer/Fall and the landscape should be interesting. Ryzen 2 is rumored for February/March 2018. According to reports, there eyeballing an 6-10% performance increase clock for clock and they are going to try to raise to clock rates to 4.3-4.4ghz rate. If both those things happen then the successor the the 1700X will probably have my money. Intel is rumored to have an 8th generation refresh next year to kill time before ice lake in 2019 (rumor is i7 gets bumped to 8 cores, i5 is 6c/12t).

Nvidia Volta is being announced January 7th and looks like a late spring/summer release. Will be eyeballing the successor of the GTX 1070

Last edited:
Is DX12 vaporware? Check it out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
  1. Star Wars Battlefront II (November 17, 2017)
  2. Forza Motorsport 7 (October 3, 2017)
  3. FIFA 18 (September 29, 2017)
  4. Total War: Warhammer II (September 28, 2017)
  5. Halo Wars 2 (February 21, 2017)
  6. Sniper Elite 4 (February 14, 2017)
That's the entire list of games with DX12 support released in 2017. Juxtaposed to Vulkan it's clear that the AMD-backed open-source candidate is winning:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support
18 games added Vulkan support this year (with another 8 in development compared to just 1 for DX12).

Nevetheless, nobody benefits as much from this Microsoft vs. OpenGL competition as AMD who wants both to succeed in order that it's (generally cheaper) higher-core but lower-performing CPUs see greater utilization via better API optimization. Games coded with Vulkan compatible with Linux tend to perform better on Linux than on Windows (ex. CS:GO), but AMD doesn't care about that dimension of it.

They can't be happy that only 24 titles made it out this year across all platforms. They likely want to see at least three or four times that number.

hey guys, thoughts on this build?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WZhpqk

I'm not to worried about money, I'm trying to spend my btc

I read the thermalright true spirit 140 are just as good as the noctua, thoughts on that too?

Last edited:

Looks like a very solid blueprint to me.
I read the thermalright true spirit 140 are just as good as the noctua, thoughts on that too?
No. It's just the cheapest well-built 140mm cooler (the only one that you'll consistently see below $50). It's not as quiet, and Jefferz has made a point of emphasizing that it has the inferior sleeve bearings.

If you don't care about looks you have already made the right choice.

If you're considering the Thermalright for aesthetics, other coolers to consider are the Phanteks PH-TC14PE or the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3. They both perform in the same range as the Noctua NHD15.
I've never paid attention to Thermalright products tbh, they usually make lower quality products. The handful of reviews I looked at were good, unfortunately all the tests were at stock CPU settings. I didn't see any overclocking results, but I find it hard to believe a single tower cooler will compete with a dual tower like the Noctua.
Noctua does have covers for their NH-D14 and 15's, but it adds another $30 to the cost.
Personally, I'd stay away from the Thermalright and go with one of the other 3 I listed.

I need monitor settings help. I'm running dual monitors, a 1080p monitor hooked up via DVI and a 1440 144hz hooked up with a mini displayport to hdmi adapter. The problem I'm having is I can't get the 1440 144hz to do 144hz. I can set it to 120hz and everything runs fine, but when I try to set it to 144hz the screen goes black until the 20 seconds goes by and it reverts back to normal. I've tried it with just the 1440 monitor hooked up, but I can still only get it to 120hz.
Anyone got any ideas?

Hello gamers!

My sisters oldest are going to have my old office PC. It has a 300 W PSU and a i5 processor along with 4 GB of ram and an SSD for the OS. What it is missing is a GPU that can run games that is on my external HDD he will have from me. Games such as Battlefield 2, BattleZone Redux, F.E.A.R, FarCry 1-2 etc. FPS games pre 2010.

My question is. What GPU is the best to buy without the extra power supply. Basically powered directly from the motherboard without the 6 pin. I dont want to buy a new PSU.

I am looking on auction sites for second hand GPU´s right now.

Thanks in advance

Back