Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I got tired of staring at my main computer tore apart and ordered soft tubing stuff. I need to pick up a different RAM kit, the one I had was too tall and interfered. I've got some other small things I need to tidy up as well.
yWRWj8P.jpg

edit: I decided against the green fluid, I'm thinking maybe purple. Anyone have any ideas for color?

Last edited:
Malwarebytes is a great piece of software for malware, it's well worth installing.
Have you installed your motherboard software yet to set you fan speeds, etc?
I updated the drivers but I haven't tweaked any of that yet. It's all overclockable so I have to figure out how to do that as well.

Just got Windows 10 licensed. I used Kinguin and sure enough the initial input said it had been used, however I just called the Microsoft help center and they gave me an activation code and it worked like a charm. I read similar experiences so I wasn't worried. Lets just hope I don't get a message next month saying the key is no good...

Wow, typing on a mechanical keyboard is God Like. Now I get why it's called the Master Race...

I updated the drivers but I haven't tweaked any of that yet. It's all overclockable so I have to figure out how to do that as well.

Just got Windows 10 licensed. I used Kinguin and sure enough the initial input said it had been used, however I just called the Microsoft help center and they gave me an activation code and it worked like a charm. I read similar experiences so I wasn't worried. Lets just hope I don't get a message next month saying the key is no good...

Wow, typing on a mechanical keyboard is God Like. Now I get why it's called the Master Race...
I don't recall if you mentioned if you have an AMD or Intel CPU.

Intel guide. If you have a Kaby Lake processor, like an i7-7700k, the way to overclock is the exact same as the video

AMD Ryzen guide

Just wait until you go back to typing on a membrane keyboard, it will feel weird. I see you have a Mionix mouse, I have a different model but I love it and it's built like a tank.

Last edited:
I have an old laptop and was contemplating building a new rig. My buddy told me to just change the hdd. The guy in the computer store echoed this as well. So I just bought an samsung ssd. I've read this a dozen of times, but dayum, boot up is friggin fast. I'm back in the game...and by game I meant shooping dick pics.

I just wanted to say thanks to Jefferz, Madmick and everyone else who have given countless great advice to the novices and amateurs here.

thank-you-cartoon.png

I see you have a Mionix mouse, I have a different model but I love it and it's built like a tank.
The Mionix fits my hand flawlessly and has a remarkable feel in its texture. Its crazy precise and the switches are clicky and responsive like blue switches in a mechanical keyboard. I guess I never really ever had a quality mouse in my computing experience I'm glad I bought this. I based the purchase off a Paul's Hardware YouTube recommendation.

@m52nickerson Are you still looking at building a budget AMD system? Frys has the R3-1200 for $87 with coupon code 1058307.

I'm looking at one of those Acer Predator desktops,
some are very powerl. And I don't mind the look.

What are you guys experience with NUC's ?
I'm planning to buy an intel box with an i3 processor and
120 GB of SSD plus 8GB RAM.
It has 4 USB , HDMI, Ethernet , Wifi and headphones jack.
Just as a media box and brows some web pages.
It's about 5 by 5 inches

I'm just looking at the onboard video card and wonder if it has mkv and avi codecs.
I believe it has Intel HD 620

ebbj4h.jpg

@m52nickerson Are you still looking at building a budget AMD system? Frys has the R3-1200 for $87 with coupon code 1058307.

Yes, I saw that deal but right now Amazon has the R3 1300X on sale for $99. So that is the way I'm planing on going right now. Just need to hope it lasts until my next check hits. Damn holidays are expensive.

Thanks!

quick question for you guys. I need to replace my laptop keyboard (asus x555u). would it be easy to do it myself or take it to a pro? don't wanna spend a bunch of cash if I can do it easily

actually the keyboard works since I was just able to f2 into bios on startup. must be some setting or the driver. I spilled water on it a few weeks ago, shut it down for like a week to dry out and when I turned it back on the keys were working but not correctly. like I'd type a letter and a few would come up. shut it off again for a few days and it didn't work at all when I tried again.

quick question for you guys. I need to replace my laptop keyboard (asus x555u). would it be easy to do it myself or take it to a pro? don't wanna spend a bunch of cash if I can do it easily
I would do it myself. Get yourself a good spudger tool, they can be bought for under $10. A guitar pick will work as well if you play.
Here's a tear down for your laptop.

I would do it myself. Get yourself a good spudger tool, they can be bought for under $10. A guitar pick will work as well if you play.
Here's a tear down for your laptop.

actually it looks like it's not a hardware thing. keyboard works fine outside of windows 10. I tried reinstalling the driver and some stuff in settings that was recommended but that didn't work. so I'm updating windows which is taking like 2 hours. apparently there was a huge update while I had it turned off for those 2 weeks. hopefully that works. I'll report back. also thanks for the help

nope didn't worknow. so I restart again, go into bios to look at what's there, did nothing and went to Windows. at the password screen the space bar and tab and caps lock were working for some reason but no numbers and letters. so I turn on the onscreen keyboard and it wasn't entering anything into the field so I restart again, no bios, and at the pw screen no keys worked and the osk worked fine. wtf. any help is appreciated. whoever can help I will kill and sacrifice a Microsoft employee in your honor

well now I'm fucked. I went to reboot in safe mode but the ease of access button on the password screen doesn't bring up the menu so I can't use the osk. it doesn't come up half the time anyway and I have to restart. In safe mode, at the pw screen caps lock and other keys work but no numbers and letters. gonna keep trying to restart and get the osk to work in safe mode but it's been a few times now and nothing. Google says I can turn off safe mode with without logging in but I need a windows disc or some shit but I don't have any

well now I'm fucked. I went to reboot in safe mode but the ease of access button on the password screen doesn't bring up the menu so I can't use the osk. it doesn't come up half the time anyway and I have to restart. In safe mode, at the pw screen caps lock and other keys work but no numbers and letters. gonna keep trying to restart and get the osk to work in safe mode but it's been a few times now and nothing. Google says I can turn off safe mode with without logging in but I need a windows disc or some shit but I don't have any
Sounds like a hardware issue. I would get it the keyboard replaced (ribbon cable could be culprit? or liquid/moisture damage? Regardless it's usually the easiest repair job for laptops.)

Sounds like a hardware issue. I would get it the keyboard replaced (ribbon cable could be culprit? or liquid/moisture damage? Regardless it's usually the easiest repair job for laptops.)
Well the keys worked in bios so I don't understand why it's hardware. ordered a cheapo usb one and am going to do a clean install after cause I can't even log in. the ease of access menu at the password screen doesn't even pop up anymore cause I rebooted in safe mode. it should but it doesn't. it doesn't half the time when it was started up normally. after I get in and do the clean install, if it still doesn't work I'll replace it. keyboards are like 15 bucks for that model. I heard a clean install is good anyway because factory installs are shitty for some reason.

I got tired of staring at my main computer tore apart and ordered soft tubing stuff. I need to pick up a different RAM kit, the one I had was too tall and interfered. I've got some other small things I need to tidy up as well.
yWRWj8P.jpg

edit: I decided against the green fluid, I'm thinking maybe purple. Anyone have any ideas for color?

Pshh, you guys and your clean setups.

P.S: This is actually my test bench area. My actual office space doesn't quite look as nauseating.

Pshh, you guys and your clean setups.

P.S: This is actually my test bench area. My actual office space doesn't quite look as nauseating.

I was a believer of untidy cables affecting airflow and temps back in the day. Then the internet came along and proved me wrong. After building like that for so many years, it's hard to break that habit.
In the past couple of years, affordable cosmetics have really taken off in pc building.
10 years ago, shit like this and blue led fans were the extent of mods
ka3_011.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back