Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Donnie Yen was fucking awesome in that movie. It showed you don't need a light saber to be a bad ass force user.
How salty are you going to be when Mara Jade and her light whip show up?
Donnie Yen was a Hong Kong cliche in that movie, and his fight scenes were absurdly unrealistic. I'm talking about within the scope & context of Star Wars realism. It was stupid. Repeated viewings have ameliorated my indignation a bit. It wasn't the core of the character, but the execution and his stylings that infuriated me. Donnie Yen himself was responsible for a lot of this bullshit getting added in. His character wasn't even fucking blind in the original script. His influence on this is as unwelcome to me as Samuel L. Jackson's influence on the Mace Windu character (ex. the purple extra-long lightsaber).

Mara Jade is old EU. If she shows up, I won't be mad, I'll be confused as fucking hell.

Last edited:
250gig M.2 2280 Samsung 960 Evo with a 3200mbps read and a 1500mbps write : )~

On a serious note. While the difference in read/write on paper is massive. The increased speeds are underutilized which i knew going in. Only reason i bought it is for my motherboard had the m.2 slot, price was the same as an standard sata based SSD and two less cables i need to run.

What i'll be checking in on for my next Pc build is Intel Optanes technology with HDD's.
True, but at a measly $30 premium over the 850 EVO for the best OS drive money can buy I don't see the downside. You're fucking ballin'.

That optane idea is the future. The prices should come down, especially once AMD fields a competitor compatible with their processors, and it starts to gain market traction. The notion that you could transform an 8TB drive into an effective 8TB m.2 Samsung-class SSD is the hybridization that wins on all fronts. So long as you can store the entire game file in the Optane drive, that should be possible, but right now, the "learning" algorithms that decide what is stored don't realize that. It stores only the most-used data.

The best solution I can think of for that is that it would be dope if they would add the ability for gamers to hit a "Game Optane button" to jettison everything from the Optane drive while you play the game so the entire image exists in the Optane drive, and basically the CPU/GPU never even have to talk to the HDD itself. Then, when you're done, you can hit the button to deactivate that mode. There will be a backup image on the HDD itself with your 'permanent' Optane image that is constantly building while you're outside of game mode. Rebuilding will be limited to the speed of the HDD, though, obviously, as I think this out, so that is probably too time-consuming to be practical.

Yeah, nvm, that isn't optimal. Better would be to maintain two partitions of the Optane drive. One can be assigned dead space, and the other maintains the general multitasking data. You could assign a game (or games) to the dead space. The system switches back and forth depending on whether or not you are playing one of those games.

Damn, I'm genuinely interested to hear Intel engineers thinking aloud about this stuff.

Donnie Yen was a Hong Kong cliche in that movie, and his fight scenes were absurdly unrealistic. I'm talking about within the scope & context of Star Wars realism. It was stupid. Repeated viewings have ameliorated my indignation a bit. It wasn't the core of the character, but the execution and his stylings that infuriated me. Donnie Yen himself was responsible for a lot of this bullshit getting added in. His character wasn't even fucking blind in the original script. His influence on this is as unwelcome to me as Samuel L. Jackson's influence on Mace Windu character.

Mara Jade is old EU. If she shows up, I won't be mad, I'll be confused as fucking hell.

It's off top so I'll spoiler it
Absurdly unrealistic? bro, do you even star wars? A blind hand to hand combat Jedi is bad ass, I'd rather him be blind actually. The dialogue was horrible though.

Thrawn is in Rebels and is a central character now. Hopefully they take the movies into their own direction instead of the nostalgia remake crap. And god damn it, why isn't there plans for an Ahsoka 1 hour animated movie.

It's off top so I'll spoiler it
Absurdly unrealistic? bro, do you even star wars? A blind hand to hand combat Jedi is bad ass, I'd rather him be blind actually. The dialogue was horrible though.

Thrawn is in Rebels and is a central character now. Hopefully they take the movies into their own direction instead of the nostalgia remake crap. And god damn it, why isn't there plans for an Ahsoka 1 hour animated movie.
I've consumed almost every single piece of lore in the new Star Wars (Disney) universe, now. That means: all movies, TV episodes, novels, novellas, kids books, comic books, and even video games. I'm going in B.Y. chronological order, outside of the TV and movies, which I've already completed, and I'm almost to Bloodline, Aftermath, and Shattered Empire. I'm probably in the running for the biggest Star Wars nerd on Sherdog. Yes, it was horribly unrealistic. We can discuss that in more detail in the Star Wars threads if you'd like or if you catch me in one, but I'm losing my patience with how super-heroish they're making Jedi and even non-Jedi, now. The force and its infuence is exerted with far more subtlety than that.

Keep in mind how drastically the scope of this shifts from medium to medium. The closer it is to the kids the more unrealistic it becomes, usually. It's no longer official canon, but the original "Clone Wars" animation was far, far more cartoonish with Jedi power than anything previously done outside of The Force Unleashed video games, where Jedi can apparently pull down starships out of space (**#deepsigh**) and The Old Republic VG lore. We're talking about the movies, here.

I've consumed almost every single piece of lore in the new Star Wars (Disney) universe, now. That means: all movies, TV episodes, novels, novellas, kids books, comic books, and even video games. I'm going in B.Y. chronological order, outside of the TV and movies, which I've already completed, and I'm almost to Bloodline, Aftermath, and Shattered Empire. I'm probably in the running for the biggest Star Wars nerd on Sherdog. Yes, it was horribly unrealistic. We can discuss that in more detail in the Star Wars threads if you'd like or if you catch me in one, but I'm losing my patience with how super-heroish they're making Jedi and even non-Jedi, now. The force and its infuence is exerted with far more subtlety than that.

Keep in mind how drastically the scope of this shifts from medium to medium. The closer it is to the kids the more unrealistic it becomes, usually. It's no longer official canon, but the original "Clone Wars" animation was far, far more cartoonish with Jedi power than anything previously done outside of The Force Unleashed video games, where Jedi can apparently pull down starships out of space (**#deepsigh**) and The Old Republic VG lore. We're talking about the movies, here.
The Jedi weren't that cartoonish in the KOTOR games

The Jedi weren't that cartoonish in the KOTOR games
And we loved those games, didn't we? High five to that.

It's the TOR lore where Valkorion has absurd, warlock-like Marvel powers.

Damn, so there's a built-in BIOS governor on the RX Vega 56 that hard caps the power draw at 300W despite that it has the same VRM as the Vega 64 and the Frontier Edition which can pull over 400W if kept cool enough. HBM overclocking appears to increase (at least synthetic) 3DMark Firestrike performance better than Core overclocking. Steve was pretty upset about all this. "This is one of the best reference cards that we've ever seen, and yet we can't tap into the full potential of the VRM overclocking." Skip to 16:15 if you want to review gaming benchmarks, but that's not the focus of this early review, so he only covers stock frequencies for the new card. This is covering the big ideas and not the particulars or specifics of performance by application.

So it looks to be beat routinely by the EVGA GTX 1070 SC ~5%-10%, but in TechPowerUp's reviews it bested the reference GTX 1070 (an apples-to-apples comparison) at every resolution:
perfrel_1920_1080.png
perfrel_2560_1440.png
perfrel_3840_2160.png
Perhaps the more sobering news for AMD is that the RX Vega 64 somehow came up short against the GTX 1080 @1080p & @1440p. Don't ask me to explain it because I sure as hell can't. Nevertheless, it beats the GTX 1080 in 4K. They're virtually identical in terms of gaming performance. Last year, this meant they would have had to rethink the $499 price point, but in light of the cryptocurrency craze, they could potentially become the market winner at that price point. I haven't yet viewed the below videos, but for everyone's convenience, I'll post the links to our favorite players:

Massive game benchmark roundup for the Vega 56 here:

Heavyweights of the print world:
Ars Technica hasn't yet put out their review.

Last edited:
Damn, so there's a built-in BIOS governor on the RX Vega 56 that hard caps the power draw at 300W despite that it has the same VRM as the Vega 64 and the Frontier Edition which can pull over 400W if kept cool enough. HBM overclocking appears to increase (at least synthetic) 3DMark Firestrike performance better than Core overclocking. Steve was pretty upset about all this. "This is one of the best reference cards that we've ever seen, and yet we can't tap into the full potential of the VRM overclocking." Skip to 16:15 if you want to review gaming benchmarks, but that's not the focus of this early review, so he only covers stock frequencies for the new card. This is covering the big ideas and not the particulars or specifics of performance by application.

So it looks to be beat routinely by the EVGA GTX 1070 SC ~5%-10%, but in TechPowerUp's reviews it bested the reference GTX 1070 (an apples-to-apples comparison) at every resolution:
perfrel_1920_1080.png
perfrel_2560_1440.png
perfrel_3840_2160.png
Perhaps the more sobering news for AMD is that the RX Vega 64 somehow came up short against the GTX 1080 @1080p & @1440p. Don't ask me to explain it because I sure as hell can't. Nevertheless, it beats the GTX 1080 in 4K. They're virtually identical in terms of gaming performance. Last year, this meant they would have had to rethink the $499 price point, but in light of the cryptocurrency craze, they could potentially become the market winner at that price point. I haven't yet viewed the below videos, but for everyone's convenience, I'll post the links to our favorite players:

Massive game benchmark roundup for the Vega 56 here:

Heavyweights of the print world:
Ars Technica hasn't yet put out their review.

For the Vega 56 vs the GTX 1070, what I've gotten out of it is to buy whichever one is one sale.

For the Vega 56 vs the GTX 1070, what I've gotten out of it is to buy whichever one is one sale.
Pretty much.

At reference, the RX Vega 56 is clearly superior in terms of real-world gaming performance by 7%-8% or so, and its superior transistor count means it will age better, as AMD usually does, but when you take in account overclocking potential, power draw, and NVIDIA's superior driver reputation it comes out to about a wash.

I'm a bit disappointed in the Vega 64. I expected it to exceed the GTX 1080, not match it, and by a substantial margin.

You're fucking ballin'.

My Pc specs are quite insane atm:

i7 5820K
16gigs of DDR4 2400
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
M.2 2280 240gig Samsung 960 EVO
Audigy 5Rx PCI-E
Sennheiser HD558's
Asus VG248QE 144hz
Samsung 52" LCD TV as secondary monitor
Logitech G502 on a Logitech hard surface mousepad
Corsair Vengeance K65 mechanical keyboard

Yeah, the Intel Optane is definitely interesting. The expensive PCIe one that works as system ram and storage is the one to pay attention to. Eventually the price will trickle down to mainstream levels. It will be awesome to have your ram and storage in one board. There's a 1.5tb version coming out soon, or may already be out.

After my last post i browsed the new motherboards to check their layouts. Theyre starting to incorporate multiple m.2 slots on them now.

galv5Il.gif

My Pc specs are quite insane atm:

i7 5820K
16gigs of DDR4 2400
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
M.2 2280 240gig Samsung 960 EVO
Audigy 5Rx PCI-E
Sennheiser HD558's
Asus VG248QE 144hz
Samsung 52" LCD TV as secondary monitor
Logitech G502 on a Logitech hard surface mousepad
Corsair Vengeance K65 mechanical keyboard
giphy.gif

You OC that 5820K at all? Those and the 10-core i7 extreme editions like the 6950X are the only processors that seem capable of legitimately besting 7700K across the most demanding titles, and don't get shit on too badly in everything else. Hexacore appears poised to become the new king in the sub-$1500 market once DX12/Vulkan mature and gain more market penetration, or if Intel can manage to bring up the hexacore frequency from its half-GHz deficit against the quad cores. Besides, though I can't recall if you explicitly have mentioned it, I suspect you stream to Twitch for CS:GO and your other eSport play, and that's what drove your CPU choice.

That's why I was more disappointed with the i7-7800X than any other processor in the already extremely disappointing Skylake-X line. It isn't even worth overclocking, and they halved the L3 cache:

I guess they thought the L2 cache would be better for gaming since the 7800X seems more carefully aimed towards this market, but even with the Turbo boost advantage the 7800X beats the i7-6850K by 1 frame in most games at stock frequency. The i7-6850K at ~$360 right now appears to me to be the best overall enthusiast-class gaming CPU value on the market; at that price, even better than the R7-1700.
After my last post i browsed the new motherboards to check their layouts. They're starting to incorporate multiple m.2 slots on them now.

galv5Il.gif
I know. It's so sexy. Optane looms. Fucking adore this GIF, btw. My God I love Patrick Stewart.

You OC that 5820K at all?

Last time i OC'd was in 2005. Pc Tower i bought back then(which im still using today) has room for 4x80mm and 2x120MM fans where i fitted an additional 3x80mm fans. 80mm fans i used worked at 70cfm at 50dba. Pc sounded like a prop airplane taking off when i started it...lol

When i transferred from Pc desktop gaming to Pc living room gaming i removed the my high dba/cfm fans; now i can ping pong between the two. Water cooling has become a far more stable platform. As a former tech support person, i dont wish to create an additional potential point of failure by OC'ing and or water cooling.

The videocard shortage in my country is now so bad
that the one AMD RX580 I could order was over $500
No RX48'0s left anywhere..

So I'm thinking of going with NVidea..
What is good card compared to the 480 or 580 ?

The videocard shortage in my country is now so bad
that the one AMD RX580 I could order was over $500
No RX48'0s left anywhere..

So I'm thinking of going with NVidea..
What is good card compared to the 480 or 580 ?
Gtx 1060 6gb version is its competitor. Prices are going to be high on them as well because of crypto mining.

Jay and Dmitri are on the WAN show and they were talking about a new Scrapyard Wars.
Luke & Jay vs Dmitri & Linus

Last edited:
Logitech Z-5500 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System

or the

Logitech Z906 500W 5.1 Speakers

hmm id like to do that but it seems more expensive =/
You can always buy a Craigslist or pawn shop receiver for $50 and new bookshelf speakers for a $100. Monoprice has an 8" sub that goes on sale often for $40 that's decent.
I'm sure an audio snob would turn there noses up at the setup, but it works well for me.
I went that direction and I'm much happier with this setup than any pc speakers I've had.

hmm id like to do that but it seems more expensive =/
My exact setup is

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0040LG96O/ref=psdcmw_3236451011_t3_B00MGQAH2M
+
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017W12UCU/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
+banana plugs&16AWG speaker wire
=~$300

Such a setup in an office/bedroom will sound like a theater with a sub. The RB61's I linked are honestly too much for my PC room. It felt like Khaleesi's dragons were burning down my neighbors house watching the last Game of Thrones episode- and I don't even have my sub yet!

I'm just waiting on a good deal for the Klipsh R12 sub then I'm golden for about $500. You could just as easily find a solid $80-$150 pair of bookshelf speakers, $100 powered sub(has to be powered with these basic amps), and that amp for $110-$140(price fluctuates often).

Back