Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Hey guys,

I built a rig from most of your recommendations from this thread a couple years ago. Haven't had a single issue with the comp until today. I recently moved to a new location and transported the pc with me. Once I got everything hooked up and fired up the pc after 10 minutes or so (either playing a game or browsing the internet) my fans increase and get very loud, as well as my monitor turning into "sleep mode". I cannot control anything however I can still talk in curse, so my comp was still running.

I looked into this and came up with a couple different possibilities.

1. Its my GPU
2. Its my PSU
3. I need to clean my computer.

I recently installed Driver Booster and updated all my drivers, so not sure if that is my issue?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I built a rig from most of your recommendations from this thread a couple years ago. Haven't had a single issue with the comp until today. I recently moved to a new location and transported the pc with me. Once I got everything hooked up and fired up the pc after 10 minutes or so (either playing a game or browsing the internet) my fans increase and get very loud, as well as my monitor turning into "sleep mode". I cannot control anything however I can still talk in curse, so my comp was still running.

1. Its my GPU
2. Its my PSU

I recently installed Driver Booster and updated all my drivers, so not sure if that is my issue?

Thanks in advance.

I would get rid of Driver Booster and go through your drivers and re-install them direct from the manufactures sites. Third party driver updater can screw things up when installing drivers. I would not trust one.

If that does not work you may want to make sure everything is still seated correctly after the move. Sometimes GPUs can come slightly out of socket when the PC is moved around. You CPU cooler may have also come out of place depending on what it is. Also double check all cables to make sure they as still connected properly. If you have any hardware monitoring programs look at the GPU temperature.

Hey guys,

1. Its my GPU
2. Its my PSU

Thanks in advance.

Take all the parts out and reassemble. Something likely got jarred during the move. Also, if your motherboard has onboard video, you can remove your GPU and see if the system works without it.

Hey guys,

1. Its my GPU
2. Its my PSU

Thanks in advance.
I had that same thing happen and it was my PSU. everyone said it was my GPU so I replaced it and the problem continued.

I don't know if any of you guys are interested in VR headsets or maybe own them or want to own one so I'll keep this relatively short. If you have questions I can answer I will certainly do so. I had been following the progress of Oculus for several years before the name even started being circulated and was really hyped up for it and then Zuckerberg came along and dropped a billion dollars to buy Oculus. I pretty much hate Zuckerberg/Facebook so at that point I was pretty damn disappointed because I refuse to give Zuckerberg a dime. If I could have 1 round in the Octagon with anyone, I might choose Mark Zuckerberg.

Luckily HTC Vive came along and bailed me out, at a cost of $799. (Vive released in India at a cost of U.S. $1,440 per unit)

Its pricey but the Vive is currently the top of the heap in terms of Gen 1 headsets. They are currently working on their Gen 2 which will be wireless, can't wait for that but sucks having to purchase a new one every one or two years to keep up. I have a feeling if these headsets survive into the future they are going to be like iphones and I'm going to be talking about the Gen 7's someday. Anyhow, when you purchase a Vive it comes with a headset, 2 rechargeable controllers, 2 lighthouses, and all cords you will need. When you first open the Vive it seems a bit complicated but its really not bad if you keep some key things in mind.

th

The first thing is you need to be able to set up a room-scale experience meaning if your computer is in an 8X8 room filled with shit you are not going to be able to function properly. There is an option to configure it for seated only but you will be very limited in which games you can select. Oculus came to the party unprepared and HTC really beat them to the punch on the room-scale experience. The Oculus didn't even release with controllers, it was seated with keyboard and mouse only. They have since been forced to upgrade in a hurry to provide a more complete experience.

Lighthouses

It comes with 2 lighthouses that look like this.

th

These lighthouses are what track your movement through the play area that you set up. Its a bit scary when you start reading about all the problems people have had with the proper set up on these lighthouses because if they aren't set up correctly then the Vive will not function correctly. They need to be mounted on the wall at around 7 feet high, slightly angled down to the play area. Some people complained they mounted them, then they weren't in the correct position so they had to move and remount them and they filled the room with holes, similar to filling a room with uppercuts. One solution people have come up with is to mount them on cheap tripods so they can be easily moved around.

Instead, I opted to go with the wall mount system, brackets included, that looks like this.

th

th

The lighthouses have a view angle of about 120 degrees and they have to be able to see each other in order to communicate. They don't have to be direct facing each other but that 120 degree cone has to overlap somewhat so they can communicate to one another. A basic room set up for these lighthouses would look like this.

th

If you are considering a Vive set up, here are some important things to plan out first.

1. Do you have enough space? Usually a minimum would be around 2X2 meters, bare minimum. I use a play area of 3 meters by 3.5 meters.
2. The lighthouses need to be mounted at a height of at least 6 feet or more or plan to buy 2 tripods to mount them to. I use the wall mounting brackets it came with.
3. Each lighthouse needs to be near a wall outlet so it can be plugged in and so you need to plan for that problem if the place you are mounting the lighthouses doesn't have the proper outlets.
4. The lighthouses communicate wirelessly but if you are having trouble getting them to sync then Vive provides a long cord to hardwire them together. Luckily I didn't have to do that.

You will also have a hub to connect everything that is two sided.

th

In the photo above, the right side connects to your computer, the left side connects to your headset. The connections are pretty straightforward and easy to understand. The left side is actually just one cord with 3 connectors and it goes directly to the headset. The right side is a power supply and 2 USB's that go to the computer.

This would get exceptionally long so I'm not going to cover some of the things like headset controls for focus, software, front facing camera, etc. If anyone has questions I'll try to answer those. What I do want to talk about though is the sorry ass state of the games that have been released. Since the release of these headsets in early 2016 there have been hundreds of VR titles released and 99% of them are complete shit.

Designers are throwing $5 and $10 VR games on the table left and right and most of them consist of wave shooters where you stand in one place and shoot as many of whatever it is that is the enemy until you die. You play for 30 minutes then you never play again. They are complete ass, do not buy them.

I have compiled what I believe to be the 5 most complete and awesome VR experiences currently available. In no particular order.

1. Arizona Sunshine - Zombie Apocalypse game - Currently $39.99

2. Obduction - Successor to Myst - Originally Oculus only, now available on Vive - Currently $29.99

3. A Chair in a Room, Greenwater - Horror genre - Currently $24.99

4. The Gallery, Call of the Starseed - Has a Bioshock vibe - Currently $19.99 (Was supposed to be episodic, not sure when Episode 2 is coming, if ever.)

5. The Works of Mercy - Psycho kidnaps family, forces you to kill - Not yet Released, Expected 2017
I've included the full 6 minute gameplay video they released. It looks very interesting.

That only covers the bare minimum. If any of you guys have questions about the set up, settings, software, hardware, or just the overall experience I will answer what I can. I also have purposely left out the various kinds of locomotion that designers are using.

5. The Works of Mercy - Psycho kidnaps family, forces you to kill - Not yet Released, Expected 2017
I've included the full 6 minute gameplay video they released. It looks very interesting.

That only covers the bare minimum. If any of you guys have questions about the set up, settings, software, hardware, or just the overall experience I will answer what I can. I also have purposely left out the various kinds of locomotion that designers are using.

My goodness this game looks amazing AND has a storyline that would keep my blood pumping.

Wonder when a good time to get into the VR scene would be? Just got my GTX1080TI and it burns through 4k, I guess VR will be my next step eventually :p

My goodness this game looks amazing AND has a storyline that would keep my blood pumping.

Wonder when a good time to get into the VR scene would be? Just got my GTX1080TI and it burns through 4k, I guess VR will be my next step eventually :p

Haha, I thought so too which is why I included the full 6 minute video that was released. I need to look into who did the voicework of the bad guy on the phone, he sounds just like Norm McDonald. Listen to the voice again and see if you think its him.

As far as getting into the VR scene. I got this first vive headset, or what some people call the gen 1, because I wanted to keep it and show it to my grandkids or something someday. I'm telling you straight up, VR is transformative. If you have never used one then there is no way for me to describe it other than you are actually in the game. Its a bizarre experience once its set up and tuned correctly and the right piece of software is popped in. I pretty much have my own Holodeck in my computer room. Its a sucky Gen 1 Holodeck, but I got that sucker none the less.

So, if you really want to get into some VR then now is the time, but, if you want to wait for a wireless headset then that's about another year at least, or you might delay another 6 months and see if the Vive price of $799 drops to something like $599. Some people have opted for the cheaper Oculus which debuted at $599 but Steam's Vive headset must have got them shook because they have since added hand controllers and now the total cost of the Oculus to get it up to speed to the Vive is $779.

Also, I believe that the Vive people are taking things more seriously than Oculus. Last year they announced they would drop 100 million dollars into further VR development.

Looking to get your VR project off the ground? HTC might be able to help. The company has just announced a $100 million fund attached to the ‘Vive X’ accelerator program.

Announced at an HTC conference today in Beijing, Vive X is an accelerator created by HTC which the company says aims to “help cultivate, and grow the global VR ecosystem by supporting startups and providing them with expertise, special access to advanced VR technology, financial investment, mentorship and unmatched go-to-market support.”

The company has publicly announced a $100 million fund that will be used to make investments in promising VR companies that join the accelerator. This is one of the largest VR-dedicated investment funds to date. It’s 10 times the amount Oculus had set aside to support indie VR developers last year; where that pot was doled out in a way more traditional to the game industry, the Vive X accelerator takes a more startup-focused approach.
http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-x-accelerator-100-million-investment-fund-virtual-reality/

Lol@thread title

RX Vega needs to get here nao

7Jzfd.jpg

edit: shit, sorry wrong thread

Last edited:
I might try to build one just for the hell of it. It looks like it would be less than $20 excluding the fan and feet.

If you do you have to find on eBay or Craigslist an older AMD CPU and ATI graphics card. Could head your house in winter!

Back