PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

AMD have released the 500 series of GPUs!

Basically, overclocked 400 series with some other tweaks. Plus a little bit cheaper.

Last edited:
Due to a slight miscalculation in tower/mb dimensions, my radeon rx 480 won't fit without covering up two of my 4 sata ports. Terrific.

Due to a slight miscalculation in tower/mb dimensions, my radeon rx 480 won't fit without covering up two of my 4 sata ports. Terrific.
Since when do GPUs cover SATA ports? Can you use a 90 degree SATA connector?

@m52nickerson if I want sleeved cables for a power supply, I can't just get any random one right? They have to match the model of the power supply?

I have ordered this one and should be arriving today:
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

@m52nickerson if I want sleeved cables for a power supply, I can't just get any random one right? They have to match the model of the power supply?

I have ordered this one and should be arriving today:
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

That's a pretty good supply judging by the reviews of the high wattage RMx units.

Yes, for full cable sets you have to make sure they are for your power supply. Depending on your case and build you might be able to just use some less expensive cable extensions, they are universal.

Also, if you can't find a color you want or like CableMod does custom cables and extensions.

https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/#

I had that issue on a gigabyte b series board.
z20UaeC.jpg

@GhostZ06 Did you get that raid 0 set up yet?

AMD have released the 500 series of GPUs!

Basically, overclocked 400 series with some other tweaks. Plus a little bit cheaper.

AMD Polaris Skylake edition

I picked up a Antec Kukler H20 620 for $20 locally. Now the search is on for a used Swiftech micro reservoir to pimp out the 35w Pentium G630T.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm confused, too.

If you could upload a picture of the case with one side open, then we could probably assess the issue. Once you're in this phase it's pretty much impossible to exchange ideas with mere words.

Yeah, I'm confused, too.

If you could upload a picture of the case with one side open, then we could probably assess the issue. Once you're in this phase it's pretty much impossible to exchange ideas with mere words.
I'll take a picture and upload it shortly, I'm sans computer right now with my old one in pieces and my new one...in pieces. I'm probably going to return the rx 480 and get something more compact like a gtx 1050 ti which is less than 6 inches long.

I'll take a picture and upload it shortly, I'm sans computer right now with my old one in pieces and my new one...in pieces. I'm probably going to return the rx 480 and get something more compact like a gtx 1050 ti which is less than 6 inches long.

What motherboard do you have? I'm going to guess that it is a micro-ATX.

20170419_150328.jpg

The card sits just above all 4 sata ports. It's so big it also covers up my other pci express port, but i have two standards pci ports left. I can find a pci card with 4 sata II ports, but i feel like if i got a card like that, the ssd speed advantage would be lost because it's just a standard pci slot.

My options are to return the card and get something compact, keep this arrangement and run my SATA devices from a pci controller card, or return it all and start over from scratch minus a 15% restocking fee which would be considerable.

I'll need a video card 172 mm or smaller. Best i can see is an evga geforce gtx 1050 ti sc gaming, 4gb ddr5. Still looking for better.

I am returning the RX 480 after all. It's not worth the other options to get it running. Leaning towards the gtx 1050 ti sc because it is 5.7 in long and won't be in the way.

@jeicex do you have room to move the RX 480 down to one of the lower PCIE slots?

If not what about...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Mw...0-6gb-mini-itx-oc-video-card-gv-n1060ixoc-6gd
My tower only came with one PCI express X16 slot, one PCI express X1 slot, and two standard PCI slots.

And that video card, I did look at the 1060 model but that extra hundred dollars is out of my price range. Admittedly I should have had a better budget for building a computer but I'm moving soon and money goes elsewhere.

So I've been (slowly, and I can't stress that enough) purchasing components for my PC build.

Current parts:
ROSEWILL Stryker M ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
ASRock X99 Taichi LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard
HyperX Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400)
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Razer DeathAdder Chroma

just need to get off my ass and get the last parts and build the damned thing.

What brand is it and how much do you want for it?

My tower only came with one PCI express X16 slot, one PCI express X1 slot, and two standard PCI slots.

Well...that sucks.

And that video card, I did look at the 1060 model but that extra hundred dollars is out of my price range. Admittedly I should have had a better budget for building a computer but I'm moving soon and money goes elsewhere.

Wait, how much was your 480?

This could help...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ess_16X_Riser_Card-_-9SIA3XT2J29893-_-Product

Might move the RX 480 away from the motherboard enough to plug into the SATA ports. However, you might have to modify the case for the rear IO.

There are also the ribbon type PCIE extenders, if you can figure out a different way to mount the 480 to your case.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ess_16X_Riser_Card-_-9SIABKS5BB8508-_-Product

Were there is a will there is a way!

So I've been (slowly, and I can't stress that enough) purchasing components for my PC build.

Current parts:
ROSEWILL Stryker M ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
ASRock X99 Taichi LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard
HyperX Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400)
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Razer DeathAdder Chroma

just need to get off my ass and get the last parts and build the damned thing.

oh-yeah-gif-obama.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back