Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Gsync in the monitor as I got this. The cheapest Gsync monitor in my city is this one and the price jump is quite high.

Prices are in Canadian as well. My GPU is $599 and the one I'm considering for 1080 are the EVGA FTW, MSI Gaming X, or Asus Strix A8G.
Nvidia also has something else called Fast Sync, but it's only good for screen tearing when the frame rate is ABOVE your monitor's refresh rate, not below.
It's not a big deal if you don't mind screen tearing (or the additional input lag from having Vsync on) but it drives me ballistic. It's not nearly as bad on a 144hz monitor as a 60hz though and I think (not sure) it reduces the input lag with Vsync on.

I am not really fussed with my PC looks and all that fancy lightning, Star Wars themed PC case, keyboards and so on do not appeal to me in one bit. I am a simple guy.

But whats inside that matters to me the most.

Corsair Carbide 540 case. Lots of room inside and very efficient ventilation.

Corsair 1000 WATT power supply - $200
Corsair double fan water cooler for CPU - $120

Intel 6900k not overclocked - $1200
Asus RoG Rampage V - $400
GTX Titan X Pascal - $1500
Corsair 64GB 2133mhz ram - $300
SSD - 1TB and 2TB HDD - $400

Some good sound blaster card - $80

Extra fans - $50

TOTAL: Around $4500 for my dream setup. Also I laugh because I often see setups offered by those build-your-own-pc websites which are less powerful that what I mentioned for $19999
I saw the other day a setup with 6 core CPU, 16gb ram, and 3 GTX Titan X for that price.

And I am freaking good with that setup for a long long time.
air540_hero_up_1.png

this card confused me. it should have been beast..
It was BF 1 1440 with DX12. When it's only 1 game producing those results, I lean more towards it being poor coding with the game.

It was BF 1 1440 with DX12. When it's only 1 game producing those results, I lean more towards it being poor coding with the game.
Doom does better on AMD cards too thanks to Vulkan. I can't think of any other games right now though.

I decided to buy the program Synergy. It's basically a peripheral switch for multiple computers but software based. I'm impressed, I can't notice any lag moving my mouse from one screen to another. Set up was a couple of mouse clicks.
For the price, it was worth it to not have another keyboard and mouse lying around

looking at the new k95 platinum sexual edition, but no fucking cherry blue?

looking at the new k95 platinum sexual edition, but no fucking cherry blue?
Corsair is usually pretty good at listening to what people want. If enough people request it, they'll probably make it. Hit them up on social media or whatever

I am not really fussed with my PC looks and all that fancy lightning, Star Wars themed PC case, keyboards and so on do not appeal to me in one bit. I am a simple guy.

Extra fans - $50

TOTAL: Around $4500 for my dream setup. Also I laugh because I often see setups offered by those build-your-own-pc websites which are less powerful that what I mentioned for $19999
I saw the other day a setup with 6 core CPU, 16gb ram, and 3 GTX Titan X for that price.

air540_hero_up_1.png
Did you already buy this? Corsair JUST released the Air 740, which is like that case only better. I fell in love with the 540 though when I saw it in person, for sure my next case is going to be the updated version the 740. Unfortunately I had recently built my PC when the 540 came out, or I would have gone with that. It is an excellent case. I also happen to think it looks good, but I guess there is no accounting for taste. God I love that hinged window that added to the 740, so convenient. Why did no one do this before???

images

Extra fans - $50

air540_hero_up_1.png
Why not overclock?

Extra fans - $50

air540_hero_up_1.png

lol@ getting the titian...get x2 1080s or wait for the 1080ti

what better 1 1080 or 2 1070s
There's not a right answer. SLI will get you better results in games with good support. Not every game does support it though, and every once in a while it actually messes games up to the point where you will need to turn one of the cards off in your driver. Unrivaled bang for buck when it's going smoothly though

A single 1080 is more stable, makes less heat and can be upgraded more easily in the future. I've had SLI in the past , but I stick with single cards for now

There's not a right answer. SLI will get you better results in games with good support. Not every game does support it though, and every once in a while it actually messes games up to the point where you will need to turn one of the cards off in your driver. Unrivaled bang for buck when it's going smoothly though

A single 1080 is more stable, makes less heat and can be upgraded more easily in the future. I've had SLI in the past , but I stick with single cards for now

I wouldn't do 2 1070s. Either a 1080 or wait for the 1080ti.
I'm with Blayt7hh, except I was Crossfire.

I think you guys are right and a single 1080FTW will be my choice for now but now I have to change my options for case. I really want the EVGA DV87 but I think it might not LOOK good with a single card. I know its a silly thing but I really like the way that case looks with dual cards.

What is the best INtel i7 processor to go with right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back