Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks to be 100% true: no Z boards or BIOS trickery required:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/298/Intel_Core_i3_i3-6100_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G4560.html
It's binned/clocked 200MHz lower. That is the only significant difference to gamers.

Otherwise, the only advantage of the Skylake i3 is some of the instruction set extensions. The Pentium lacks these that the i3 possesses:
AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions
AVX2 / Advanced Vector Extensions 2
F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion
FMA3 / 3-operand Fused Multiply-Add

But it does hold the ISA advantage of capability for the following that the Skylake i3's do not:
TSX / Transactional Synchronization Extensions

AVX2 support is apparently written into DX12 coding, but I've read the Skylake i3's suddenly lose this support if you overclock them, and I have no idea how to quantify the gaming performance benefit from this ISA, or if anyone out there even tries to figure this stuff out. Every time I've looked into it I've found myself in a theoretical dead-end.

Just playing around...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($75.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($41.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Mushkin TRIACTOR 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Zalman T2 Plus MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $451.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-12 20:00 EST-0500

Just playing around...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($75.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($41.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Mushkin TRIACTOR 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Zalman T2 Plus MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $451.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-12 20:00 EST-0500
Depending on if Intel ever allows overscan to be turned off on their onboard, I might be upgrading my htpc with one of those pentiums. They should have move than enough oomph for blu ray playback.
I need to do something, I'm using a athlon x4 64 3200 atm and it's a little too power hungry for my taste.

Most of my parts are in. I'm still waiting on a 240mm radiator and the pump then I can start mocking stuff up. I'm still undecided on white or black fittings and soft line or hard line with connectors instead of bends. I've got a couple more parts to get also.
c58mDMe.jpg

I might have found a GPU block, I'll have to paint it white though
bp-wbv1080g1-brgb--1024x768.jpg

bp-wbv1080g1-brgb--1024x768-2.jpg

oh man im feelin this

Most of my parts are in. I'm still waiting on a 240mm radiator and the pump then I can start mocking stuff up. I'm still undecided on white or black fittings and soft line or hard line with connectors instead of bends. I've got a couple more parts to get also.
c58mDMe.jpg

I might have found a GPU block, I'll have to paint it white though
bp-wbv1080g1-brgb--1024x768.jpg

bp-wbv1080g1-brgb--1024x768-2.jpg
Nice! I'm going to build one of those too on my next build, , but that is probably a ways off yet

Nice! I'm going to build one of those too on my next build, , but that is probably a ways off yet
I was holding off until skylake, we all know how that went. As far Ryzen, my hype train has been derailed. The processor they've been showing is running with a i7-6900. The i7-6700 runs just as fast in games as the 6900, I don't need the extra cores.
So ok, they come out with a magical $100 i7-6700 performance equal chip. I'm still not going to upgrade. I'm running a 3570k and the $500+ price/performance to step up to an 6700 isn't worth it.

I'm really considering doing a soft/hard combo *giggity*. I'm thinking of doing most of it in hard line except for the line leading to the video card and out of the cpu block just in case Ryzen or the next gen proves me wrong. That way if I want to replace the board it will be easier to pull out.

@GhostZ06 I'm getting excited. I've got a couple odds and ends to get but I'm close to mocking things up.

Last edited:
I was holding off until skylake, we all know how that went. As far Ryzen, my hype train has been derailed. The processor they've been showing is running with a i7-6900. The i7-6700 runs just as fast in games as the 6900, I don't need the extra cores.
So ok, they come out with a magical $100 i7-6700 performance equal chip. I'm still not going to upgrade. I'm running a 3570k and the $500+ price/performance to step up to an 6700 isn't worth it.

I'm really considering doing a soft/hard combo *giggity*. I'm thinking of doing most of it in hard line except for the line leading to the video card and out of the cpu block just in case Ryzen or the next gen proves me wrong. That way if I want to replace the board it will be easier to pull out.

@GhostZ06 I'm getting excited. I've got a couple odds and ends to get but I'm close to mocking things up.

here is footage of you getting ready

giphy.gif

here is footage of you getting ready

giphy.gif

More like
96f7a72e5dfe659274ea982426486736.gif

White stuff is a bitch to find and when you do get it, the stuff isn't always white. As an example, that bitspower reservoir is an all white edition, why would they include black stopper fittings for unused holes? That's $5 a plug and i'll need 4 just for the one reservoir/pump combo. Or the radiators are white editions but come with black screws.
There's a lot of nickel and dimeing.

Last edited:

Yeah I've been hoping for a really good reason to start a fresh build from my 4 year old pc and there just isn't one. I've replaced the CPU and the GPU and that's it. Honestly I didn't even need to replace the CPU but I saw on a Black Friday sale for like 50 bucks Off and went for it. GPU wise I went from a pair of 770 to a water cooled 980 ti

Any sherbros willing to help me with my gpu?

So today my gpu started to go almost full rpm on the fans whenever i play games. I've been using GPU Tweak II from Asus and also tried making a custom fan curve and downloading latest drivers but to no avail. I have a 1070 and it's been silent even at 60-66C temp until today.

Well brought my gpu back to the store yesterday and it was a busted fan. They just replaced it a new one but the exact model. Could've picked a 1080 but I'll just have to pay the difference. Is the jump from 1070 to 1080 worth it or nah? I game on a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor and the 1070 is amazing so far.

Seems my GPU is packing up, I've got about 4 crashes this week. Pixelated screen. Oh well, couldn't be happier xD

Well brought my gpu back to the store yesterday and it was a busted fan. They just replaced it a new one but the exact model. Could've picked a 1080 but I'll just have to pay the difference. Is the jump from 1070 to 1080 worth it or nah? I game on a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor and the 1070 is amazing so far.
The 1070 is fine for 1440p. Not sure about 4K and VR though.

Edit: Is your monitor Gsync capable? Might wanna spring for the 1080 at 144hz.

Last edited:
You know the Amd cards are better at higher Res right?

What? Right now AMD does not have a card that can compete with a GTX 1070 or above. That may change when Vega is introduced, but it has not been yet.

The 1070 is fine for 1440p. Not sure about 4K and VR though.

Edit: Is your monitor Gsync capable? Might wanna spring for the 1080 at 144hz.

No Gsync in the monitor as I got this. The cheapest Gsync monitor in my city is this one and the price jump is quite high.

Prices are in Canadian as well. My GPU is $599 and the one I'm considering for 1080 are the EVGA FTW, MSI Gaming X, or Asus Strix A8G.

Last edited:
i need to find the vidoe, one of them actually does better at higher res, might be thinking of the lower end one
The 480 performs better than the 1060 in some games, and vice versa. I haven' really dug into them deep, but from what I seen either card is a solid choice. There's not really a clear winner.
I think I've seen 1 chart with a Fury X defeating a 1070 in one game, but that's it. AMD doesn't offer anything to compete with the 1070.

The 480 performs better than the 1060 in some games, and vice versa. I haven' really dug into them deep, but from what I seen either card is a solid choice. There's not really a clear winner.
I think I've seen 1 chart with a Fury X defeating a 1070 in one game, but that's it. AMD doesn't offer anything to compete with the 1070.

this card confused me. it should have been beast..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back