Sherdog Official Gaming Laptop & Review Thread (Revised)

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by Madmick, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Quipling

Quipling Red Belt

So, I need a laptop for traveling. Planning on windows simply so I can play some games without much hassle, but open to ideas. Im trying to keep the budget down because I have a desktop at home anyways.

Between microcenter and Amazon I think that I have some decent low-budget options through refurbs or open-box. I have a spare msata/m.2 SSD I can install as needed, so hassle is the only barrier there. I'm currently looking at 4 options. I'd appreciate your thoughts or any alternative suggestions, @Madmick .

One is the HP envy x360 convertible (15-bp108ca), the second is the HP Notebook 15 (bs-131nr), the third is the Acer Spin 3 (SP315-51-37e7), and the fourth is the Lenovo Ideapad 710s plus.

Notebook 15 ($385)
    pros:
    I5-8250u processor, 8 gb ddr4 ram.
    Cons:
    Needs an SSD
    Mediocre display

Envy ($430)
    Pros:
    I5-8250u processor
    2-in-1
    Nice display
    Cons:
    4gb of ram: needs an upgrade soonish
    Expensive side, at least with upgrade

Spin 3 ($332)
    Pros:
    2-in-1
    Nice Display
    Inexpensive
    Good battery life
    Cons:
    i3-7100u is the weakest processor by a lot
    Needs an SSD
    6 gb ddr4 ram (upgradable to 12)

Edit:
    Ideapad 710s ($500)
    Pros:
    No upgrading required
    Nice display
    Lightweight, solid battery life
    Cons:
    none, except cost

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Madmick

Madmick The Real Hexakaideca Cherokee Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yikes, this is rough. I'm doing the thing where I really do make an effort to pretend it's my own money because otherwise it's easy to just pick the most expensive unit. And yeah, when you look the cost/component curve, here, these four options are a goddamn rack. Okay, here goes.
    • Notebook 15 has a solid foundation. Hassle would appear to be it. I'd recommend you review Notebookcheck for confirmation from more detailed testing, but I'm pretty sure the Envy has a better overall build quality.
    • Envy is my favorite. RAM prices fluctuate more than any component, so at some point, I suspect you'll be able to fetch an attractive price on the most crucial upgrade, and RAM is the most common future upgrade to extend an economy laptop's life, anyways.
    • Laptop i3's are eww for people like you who knows what a proper comp feels like to drive (personally, I get impatient waiting for the original Xbox One to cold-launch the YouTube app; that shit took like 20+ seconds the other day). There's no upgrading that.
    • I do like the Ideapad 710s at $500 (I'm seeing it for $769 on Amazon). This is also a strong pick, but I will raise the point to you to remind yourself to consider the downside to the 1080p display on Intel HD graphics for gaming in the last three laptops; that's a lot more pixels to push when you're already dealing with such a low amount of graphical power. Considering the cost of this unit, I doubt this is a significant concern, because I interpret your drift that the gaming we're talking about here is retro-gaming in compatibility mode or turn-based timekillers for the airport and hotel poolside. Tangential concern.
      So my much bigger gripe with this unit doesn't concern gaming, but the lack of the 2-in-1 format. It's just so damn convenient for the life this laptop will live. Maybe you just want to hit thumbnails and watch videos while you lounge in a reclining chair-- click hyperlinks and read articles. Whatever it is

Those are my thoughts on additional strategic considerations to weigh for the purchase since you don't need my help with component/cost analysis. At these prices the general retail internet market (i.e. Amazon) can't compete. Look for more options here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LaptopDeals/search?q=flair:0-500&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all
    I already set the filter to $0-$500. There are a lot of competing Vivobooks you should eyeball.

GearSolidMetal likes this.
  3. Quipling

Quipling Red Belt

Thanks!

I did another dive and the sort of stuff available is absolutely nuts. Makes me wish that I had to buy several, almost. I do have a friend who is coming with me tomorrow to pick up a laptop, too. I'll probably go for the envy - the form factor is going to be nice in airports and such. And you're right on games- a solid chunk of my library is retro and/or tbs.

4. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

@Quipling It's a little more than what you posted but it includes a GPU that will allow you to play games on low settings 1080p. The laptops you posted will use the integrated graphics which will just leave you frustrated when trying to play anything over 720p 30fps .

Acer Laptop Aspire 5 A515-51G-5504 $540

• Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8250U (1.60 GHz)
    • 8 GB Memory
    • 256 GB SSD
    • 1TB HDD
    • NVIDIA GeForce MX150
    • 1920 x 1080 ips 15.6"
    • Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834316266

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  5. Quipling

Quipling Red Belt

Yeah, I saw that while poking around. I'm not really planning on using this for any serious games, though. I wound up with the 2in1. It's nice and handy, cost $410, and can take another 8 gb of ram if needed.

Took it on the flight and it played Shadowrun like a champ. And the 2-in-1 form factor got it treated as a tablet by the stewardess.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    Madmick likes this.