Sherdog Official Gaming Laptop Discussion Thread (New Desktop-class NVIDIA 10 Series GPUs Available)

Eh, why not treat yourself and spend the money on a hoor instead.

TBH Your not going to get a gaming laptop for $1300 that'll run any kind of quality games. You really shouldnt game on a laptop at all due to the processor automatically slowing down due to overheating when running high intensity gaming. Also DO NOT BUY A SURFACE. They are not for any type of productivity, they are really just a gimick and fail constantly. If you want something nice with performance, look into the Dell XPS line or SOME lenovo's. Asus also makes very good laptops called Zenbooks.

Lenovo, ASUS, and MSI usually sell pretty decent laptops on Newegg. Watch the daily deals and shellshockers.

For $1300 your not gonna get a laptop that plays on Ultra, but they will still play most games on good settings.

TBH Your not going to get a gaming laptop for $1300 that'll run any kind of quality games. You really shouldnt game on a laptop at all due to the processor automatically slowing down due to overheating when running high intensity gaming. Also DO NOT BUY A SURFACE. They are not for any type of productivity, they are really just a gimick and fail constantly. If you want something nice with performance, look into the Dell XPS line or SOME lenovo's. Asus also makes very good laptops called Zenbooks.

I know a few people who have had a Surface for at least two years and they haven't failed once.

surface, or surface book.

Surface Pro master race checking in.
Did you miss the part where he said he wants to play games? Intels intigrates graphics are horrible unless you want to play esports on the lowest settings @720p and maybe hit 25fps.

I know a few people who have had a Surface for at least two years and they haven't failed once.
My pro 4 and Book run great. Though I didn't get any on release. The Book had terrible issues at release.

depends on what do you want to do with, want to game on it, just to browse or a hardnosed work laptop

Just makes sure it has dedicated graphics, for 1300 you should be able to get a 1050 or 970m maybe even a 1060m but that could be pushing it.,

Did you miss the part where he said he wants to play games? Intels intigrates graphics are horrible unless you want to play esports on the lowest settings @720p and maybe hit 25fps.

I didn't, I admittedly only read the thread title. but you can get custom video card options/upgrades on Surface Books. but you're right, the screen size wouldn't be ideal for gaming.

Surface book has dedicated graphics.

MSI make a cheaper range of laptops that are spec'd for gaming but don't have the same build quality as their high end machines.

I have this: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GP62-7RD-Leopard.html

It does the job for gaming but yeah it definitely has a plastic-like quality to it.

Reasonably happy though. It was a purchase made out of sudden necessity so wasn't gonna fork out any more than I did. I got pretty decent bang for buck.

I have a budget of approximately 1300 dollars.

I want a computer that will last as long as possible. I'm thinking SSD.

Want to play the newest game.

Screen should be okay size. 17 inches and above.

Laptop.

Suggestions?

Dude 17 is pretty fucking big. Mine is 15 and I feel like it's fairly large. If you want a budget gaming laptop I suggest this.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...s&acd=123098073120560&VEN3=422921246423941025

maxresdefault.jpg

Not really budget but good specs for its price. I'm not comfortable with a 4k monitor and laptop gpu/cpu tho.

I have a budget of approximately 1300 dollars.

I want a computer that will last as long as possible. I'm thinking SSD.

Want to play the newest game.

Screen should be okay size. 17 inches and above.

Laptop.

Suggestions?
17" really limits your options.

This is the best reviewed laptop (and best assembly of components by a wide margin at its price) on Amazon in your budget that meets your criteria, but I'm not familiar with the brand. Looks like a hungry startup, and they're headquartered in Delaware (although that may not mean much...many international and national corporations headquarter there for the corporate tax rates):
$1199: Eluktronics N870HP6 Pro-X Premium Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Windows 10 Home 6GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 17.3” Full HD IPS Display 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD + 16GB DDR4 RAM
91Yj5H8KjbL._SL1500_.jpg

911LiqRBL6L._SL1500_.jpg

91P444FM7SL._SL1500_.jpg
http://www.eluktronics.com/about
About Us said:
Eluktronics is a manufacturer of premium performance PC's and an authorized Value Added Reseller (VAR) for most other PC brands. Instead of trying to cut costs by offering a cheaper product, Eluktronics purchases premium components in bulk so you can receive a quality product without paying more! Eluktronics stocks everything that is offered for sale, and on average, your order will ship in 2-3 business days.*

When you purchase from Eluktronics, you aren't just receiving a standard manufacturer warranty, you're receiving USA based coverage. What does this mean? We do not read from prompts or have you run a series of lengthy unnecessary tests. We have a team of dedicated I.T. professionals whom you will speak with directly and work on the PC's we manufacture daily. You will receive fast and clear support.

With today's technology, it's perplexing that a conventional 5400RPM hard drive is still the industry standard for handling your operating and primary system files. It's equivalent to purchasing a performance car with a 4 cylinder engine under the hood. Let us install the American V8 muscle your next PC deserves! They always say it's tough to find a good mechanic, well we guarantee you've found yours here at Eluktronics!

*Shipping and production delays generally occur during holidays and special promotional offers.
I like the look of it. That's the one I'd get.

Okay thanks. Might just get a stationary one.

What would you recommend then? :)

Okay thanks. Might just get a stationary one.

What would you recommend then? :)
I'm sorry to interject, but that poster is ignorant. What he said is objectively wrong. The laptop I posted above is $1200, and these are the core specs:
  • CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ
    • this remains the #1 mainstream gaming laptop processor on the market; only three Intel processors that you won't see in laptops below $2000 are better, and the best of those is only 11% better. Meanwhile, the #1 desktop gaming processor (until just this week when Coffee Lake dropped, and nobody can get their hands on the best of those yet) is only ~43% better as measured by Userbenchmark.
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB (laptop version)
    • UserBenchmark measures this as 23% inferior to the desktop version of the same video card; so you know, the GTX 1060 is currently the most popular video card among the PC gaming community (as measured on Steam). Furthermore, this is the 6GB video ram version, so you won't have to worry about your GPU falling short of the baseline required vRAM that any given game will demand for several years
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 RAM
    • That's well above the baseline of 8GB currently recommended for gaming, and there is an empty RAM slot if you want to expand it to 32GB in the future. DDR4-2400 meets the native bandwidth ceiling for all current Intel motherboards, too, btw.
  • SSD: 256GB NVMe drive
    • these and m.2 SSDs are the fastest type out there; the downside is that there is no additional HDD for data storage, so it's limited on space; of course, with an external drive, you could use guides like this to store your library, and only move the games you're currently playing to the laptop's SSD. Games are getting huge, but probably around 9 out of 10 still come in at 45GB or under.
  • Display: 17.3", 1080p, IPS
    • That's firing on all cylinders; while TFT might have a slightly better response time, IPS look better, have wider viewing angles, and are more expensive
  • Ports: 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 1 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 port (Type C), HDMI (with HDCP), 2 Mini DisplayPorts, Gigabit Ethernet, 1 Headphone jack, 1 Microphone jack, SD Card Reader
    • The USB Type-C 3.1 Gen2 port is particularly sexy; SD card reader is nice for working with Android smartphones
  • Everything Else: Backlit RGB keyboard, 2MP Webcam, a top-of-the-line 802.11ac WiFi networking card, Onkyo speakers(!)
    • Seriously, this laptop is one helluva sexy beast, and it's got an incredible Amazon rating with a healthy review size (x156)
Apparently these are rebranded Clevo/Sager laptops (at least the chassis) which are considered the absolute top-of-the-line in terms of PC laptop build quality. Holy shit. I just learned about this tonight. My Googling is producing forum chatter that doesn't go back further than fall of last year, and everybody else in the tech sphere appears to just be discovering this brand, too.

This is the new shit, man. This is the bee's knees. I don't follow laptops as closely, but I'm a bit ashamed I was ignorant to this. The USA headquarters really is a stellar plus for them, too, because in tech, it doesn't matter, all manufacturing takes place in Taiwan and China. They're even getting Wiki love:
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-gaming-laptops

To give you some perspective: this laptop is significantly more powerful than the original PS4 and Xbox One. Find me a PC game on the market right now where this doesn't meet (not only the minimum required specs, but) the recommended specs. Any game.

I'll wait.

Last edited:
17" really limits your options.

This is the best reviewed laptop (and best assembly of components by a wide margin at its price) on Amazon in your budget that meets your criteria, but I'm not familiar with the brand. Looks like a hungry startup, and they're headquartered in Delaware (although that may not mean much...many international and national corporations headquarter there for the corporate tax rates):
$1199: Eluktronics N870HP6 Pro-X Premium Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Windows 10 Home 6GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 17.3” Full HD IPS Display 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD + 16GB DDR4 RAM
91Yj5H8KjbL._SL1500_.jpg

911LiqRBL6L._SL1500_.jpg

91P444FM7SL._SL1500_.jpg
http://www.eluktronics.com/about

I like the look of it. That's the one I'd get.
Im not sure who that company is but if those specs are to be believed and that thing doesnt over heat constantly, That is a great deal and I stand corrected.

Im not sure who that company is but if those specs are to be believed and that thing doesnt over heat constantly, That is a great deal and I stand corrected.
Things changed rather quickly in the laptop world with the mobile revolution affecting every processor manufacturer in existence with an obsession to shrink the components, and reduce the amount of heat they create. Reasonable laptop gaming power has been achievable for $1500 or so for about the last 3-4 years, but the release that really changed everything for gaming laptops was when NVIDIA finally brought the desktop-class GPUs to laptops with the new GTX 10xx series. Almost all of the laptop video cards are now only 10%-30% behind their desktop versions (which are already the best in the world) in terms of performance, and there no longer exists an outlandish markup on any of the gaming laptops that carry a GTX 1060 6GB class GPU or lower (because they produce so little heat relative to past generations that it isn't presenting a major engineering challenge, anymore, for manufacturers to shove them into laptop spaces).

Right now that Acer Helios Predator 300 everyone is mentioning is the bestselling overall gaming laptop on Amazon. It's 15" with mostly the same specs and comes in at $1050, so $1K is all that a highly respectable gaming laptop will run you in the USA, these days.

The laptops carrying GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 cards still demand a more significant markup over the desktop market because they run quite hot, and because living in such a premium niche, they simply don't sell as large a volume. They're also massive and loud because they have to pack actual fans in to keep everything running smoothly. You won't be able to rest them on your lap. Furthermore, they still don't even make GTX 1080 Ti laptop cards. Too hot.

By far the most desirable cards for gamers with no budgetary concerns are NVIDIA's new "Max-Q" laptop cards, but you won't see these in laptops below $2K. These are actually even slightly weaker than the normal Pascal laptop video card versions I'm talking about above. Max-Q is considered a distinct laptop architecture. The reason they are so highly prized is because they took the weight, size, and heat reduction to even more incredible levels. Basically, you can fit a GTX 1080 card into a laptop as sleek as a MacBook Pro, and sit it on your lap. To prove this, in the product launch, NVIDIA executives would actually sit down, rest the laptops on their laps, and conduct the product pitch while it was running games for at least 15 minutes. Apparently they still generate a bit of noise, but less than the traditional Pascal mobile versions.

Here is a list of all Max-Q laptops current to October 7th:
https://www.ultrabookreview.com/16277-laptops-nvidia-max-q/

I find it irritating that they felt the need to signify the leap in laptop performance with Pascal Mobile by dropping the "M" that used to come after the card. For example, back during the GTX 9xx generation, if you saw a laptop with a GTX 970 in it, they would write "GTX 970M". I wish they would still do that. Not doing it is misleading, and confusing for consumers.

NVIDIA current video card classes
  • Desktop -------------> Pascal
  • Laptop ---------------> Pascal Mobile
  • Laptop premium --> Max-Q
I wish they would just denote it this way. NVIDIA gets 2 out of 3 right (meanwhile retailers like Amazon make no distinction between any of the below):
  • Desktop --------------> GTX 1080
  • Laptop ----------------> GTX 1080M
  • Laptop Premium ---> GTX 1080MQ

Nevertheless, the state of the art doesn't necessarily entail a high customer satisfaction. Right now the gaming laptop considered to be the absolute best in production is the Asus ROG GX501VI Zephyrus GTX 1080MQ (this was the unit the NVIDIA CEO showed off when they launched the architecture):
ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 15.6” Full-HD 120Hz Ultra-portable Gaming Laptop, GTX 1080, Intel Core i7, 512GB PCIe SSD, 16GB DDR4
81DfBAQzSdL._SL1500_.jpg

Back