Sherdog Official Gaming Laptop Discussion Thread (New Desktop-class NVIDIA 10 Series GPUs Available)

Agree with jefferz. I've had 2 Alienwares and had quite a bit of problems with both. I swore I'd never go with Dell again either but couldn't help myself and got an XPS. Smokes the Alienware and no issues. Super quiet and relatively no heat
This, I think is mostly regional. Dell has one of the best next business on-site service in south east asia. After a few questions from support, their repair dude would bring in the part & assemble it. I saw an ad for a 2nd hand alienware & claimed "almost brand new" because the mobo, gpu, cpu where just recently replaced by warranty. This was during the mxm era.

My desktop just died, and my laptops display is busted.

What's the best gaming-capable laptop for around 1000$?

My desktop just died, and my laptops display is busted.

What's the best gaming-capable laptop for around 1000$?
Ideally, you'd want a laptop with one of the new NVIDIA "Max-Q" video cards. NVIDIA has the best driver reputation for games, first, but these versions of their GPUs are particularly outstanding in laptops for how thin they are, and for how much performance you get for how little heat is generated on top of your lap. Not sure if it's still up to date, but Ultrabook was maintaining this shortlist of all the laptops carrying those special GPUs. The problem is that only the GTX 1060 Max-Q would fit into that budget range, but right now only the HP Omen 15 carries it:
https://www.ultrabookreview.com/16277-laptops-nvidia-max-q/
Apparently one version of the new Dell Inspiron 7000 model will also carry it, but otherwise, with that price point, the easiest way to sift through the billions of laptops out there for the ones you want is to use the GPU as your keyword search. Any decent laptop in that range is going to have either a NVIDIA GTX 1060 or GTX 1050 Ti depending on the other components & overall build quality. So just search "laptop GTX 1060", for example.

Honestly, @Quipling, I've never found a resource more densely packed with wisdom than Amazon's bestselling charts. The internet consumer community is an informed one. This is currently the bestselling gaming-class laptop on Amazon by a country mile, and it happens to be $1050:
Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, VR Ready, 15.6" Full HD, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Red Backlit KB, Metal Chassis, G3-571-77QK

Acer is usually a brand laptop buyers avoid, but their Predator line is respected (in fact, the Predator monitors are the most highly prized gaming displays in the world). Good luck beating the above.

Here's a peer from MSI. It's not an equal value, though, because the i7 is one generation older, it lacks the SSD drive, and most importantly, the GTX 1060 is the 3GB version. Not only does this version of the GPU have half the vRAM, but it's also slower (because they disable some of the transistors):
MSI GE62 Apache Pro-650 15.6" Premium Gaming Laptop i7-6700HQ GTX 1060 3G 16GB 1TB Win 10 Full Color Keyboard VR Ready

If you want to step up the build quality with the same components, then you want a Sager:
SAGER NP7850 15.6" FHD IPS VR Ready Gaming Laptop, Intel i7-7700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, 16GB RAM, 250GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Home

You can monitor TechBargains, Slickdeals, and the Reddit laptop/electronics deals pages for any barnburner sales. Big sales to be more prolific with laptops than desktops these days since they sell better than desktops, but they also tend to be more fleeting because of it. You might get lucky and save up to a few hundred bucks.

Ideally, you'd want a laptop with one of the new NVIDIA "Max-Q" video cards. NVIDIA has the best driver reputation for games, first, but these versions of their GPUs are particularly outstanding in laptops for how thin they are, and for how much performance you get for how little heat is generated on top of your lap. Not sure if it's still up to date, but Ultrabook was maintaining this shortlist of all the laptops carrying those special GPUs. The problem is that only the GTX 1060 Max-Q would fit into that budget range, but right now only the HP Omen 15 carries it:
https://www.ultrabookreview.com/16277-laptops-nvidia-max-q/
Apparently one version of the new Dell Inspiron 7000 model will also carry it, but otherwise, with that price point, the easiest way to sift through the billions of laptops out there for the ones you want is to use the GPU as your keyword search. Any decent laptop in that range is going to have either a NVIDIA GTX 1060 or GTX 1050 Ti depending on the other components & overall build quality. So just search "laptop GTX 1060", for example.

Honestly, @Quipling, I've never found a resource more densely packed with wisdom than Amazon's bestselling charts. The internet consumer community is an informed one. This is currently the bestselling gaming-class laptop on Amazon by a country mile, and it happens to be $1050:
Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, VR Ready, 15.6" Full HD, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Red Backlit KB, Metal Chassis, G3-571-77QK

Acer is usually a brand laptop buyers avoid, but their Predator line is respected (in fact, the Predator monitors are the most highly prized gaming displays in the world). Good luck beating the above.

Here's a peer from MSI. It's not an equal value, though, because the i7 is one generation older, it lacks the SSD drive, and most importantly, the GTX 1060 is the 3GB version. Not only does this version of the GPU have half the vRAM, but it's also slower (because they disable some of the transistors):
MSI GE62 Apache Pro-650 15.6" Premium Gaming Laptop i7-6700HQ GTX 1060 3G 16GB 1TB Win 10 Full Color Keyboard VR Ready

If you want to step up the build quality with the same components, then you want a Sager:
SAGER NP7850 15.6" FHD IPS VR Ready Gaming Laptop, Intel i7-7700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, 16GB RAM, 250GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Home

You can monitor TechBargains, Slickdeals, and the Reddit laptop/electronics deals pages for any barnburner sales. Big sales to be more prolific with laptops than desktops these days since they sell better than desktops, but they also tend to be more fleeting because of it. You might get lucky and save up to a few hundred bucks.

Cool. Wound up picking up something on sale with which I think I'll be happy.

Hi all,

I'm jumping in on this thread a bit late, would appreciate some feedback... I'm also after a gaming laptop (am an Architect so the graphics requirements are similar). However because I'm in a regional area of Australia I need to run with brands that offer suitable aftersales support.

Here's what I'm considering:
MSI GE73VR 7RE Raider 17.3" FHD i7 1TB+256GB SSD 16GB GTX 1060 6GB Gaming Laptop ($2320 AUD)
The large screen comes in handy for presentations when I'm on the road (that & videos too).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSI-GE73...664532?hash=item5436624c14:g:Tn0AAOSw28pZwGDJ

MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 15.6" FHD i7 1TB+256GB SSD 16GB GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Laptop ($2640 AUD)
Better specs but a smaller screen.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSI-GE63...213411?hash=item4d61423fa3:g:oy4AAOSwPfZZwc5f

Both MSI options come with a backpack, mouse & 2 year warranty.

METABOX PA70HS-G G-Sync GTX 1070 (about $2600 AUD)
http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/contents/en-us/p3389_metabox-pa70hs-g_clevo.html

I checked out the Acer Predator but it starts at more than $3k here which is above my budget. I'm not keen on Dell or Asus because of past experience. I'd be open to other brands but need something that's Windows compatible.

Cheers

Idiot proof:

If you have the money:
MSI, Asus, Alienware(Dell).

If you're on a budget:

Lenovo, Acer

If you care to look around & research:

Sager/Clevo,Gigabyte,

Never Razer. Ever.

do not ever get a fucking alienware

As somebody that has used a gaming laptop for the last 5 or so years, there's ONE reason I'd encourage somebody to get one.

If you haven't got the space / desk to get a desktop. As soon as I move into a 2+ bed apartment / house I'm getting that office!

As somebody that has used a gaming laptop for the last 5 or so years, there's ONE reason I'd encourage somebody to get one.

If you haven't got the space / desk to get a desktop. As soon as I move into a 2+ bed apartment / house I'm getting that office!
I moved around a lot. Laptop is heaven sent. I'm planning to build a decent rig when the time comes.

This thread was inspired by one I saw recently. I'm really wanting to get a good gaming pc as well.. I don't want to spend a ton but I also don't have a set budget meaning I have the money if anyone could help explain the differences and why certain things are needed.
The "big idea" that differentiates laptops from PCs is a more primal physical truth governing our universe: heat. Computer processors are semiconductors. These generate heat: a principle form of energy. While it is difficult to shrink the size of these processors they have been naturally evolving towards smaller fabrication processes since we invented them. Bigger is still better, generally speaking, but that's becoming less of a divider relative to heat. The real problem with laptops is heat dissipation (and battery). This, along with the increased complexity of engineering everything into these incredibly tight spaces while managing the heat dissipation is why they tend to cost so much more per component as Jefferz illuminated above.

If you want a truly great build quality with great heat dissipation it ends up costing a huge premium, but you aren't bound to that.

So, nevertheless, at the lowest price point for a certain combination of hardware in any given gaming laptop, I can confidently assert that right now, from March of 2017 through today, there has never been a time in history when gaming laptops have held a better value against desktop PCs. This is the result most directly of the cryptocurrency craze inflating the price of desktop GPUs, and secondarily due to the ongoing mobile revolution where ~80% of new R&D funding is devoted towards better performance in smartphones and other portable devices.

I recently made this post for Quipling in the Official Gaming Laptop thread in the VG forum (where I'll merge this thread once it falls off the first two pages in the Mayberry...I think the Mayberry crew appreciates the occasional tech thread with more information on these purchases like laptops that tend to have a wider general appeal). Check out these Amazon bestselling analogues:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/s...gpus-available.1891053/page-12#post-134348911

Laptop:

Desktop:
CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme VR GXIVR8060A4 Desktop Gaming PC (Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, 120GB SSD, Win 10 Home) Black
$1050 vs. $850, and the desktop doesn't include the price of a keyboard, mouse, and display if you happen to need those.

These are nearly identical in terms of horsepower. The desktop carries the desktop version of the GTX 1060, but it's only the 3GB version, meaning it has half the video RAM, and that variant also happens to be less powerful than the desktop GTX 1060 6GB, so the laptop version of the 6GB variant is probably pretty close in power. I'm too lazy to reference more obscure benchmarks right now. The i5-7400 in the desktop is only about 3% more powerful than the i7-7700HQ in the laptop. Meanwhile, the laptop also has a 256GB SSD vs. 120GB SSD, and double the RAM (16GB vs. 8GB).

If anything, the laptop outshines this analogue I've chosen, and it's only $200 more.

Last edited:
I have a budget of approximately 1300 dollars.

I want a computer that will last as long as possible. I'm thinking SSD.

Want to play the newest game.

Screen should be okay size. 17 inches and above.

Laptop.

Suggestions?

I think you'll get better responses in the video game forum TBH. Lot's of very helpful and knowledgeable people in there.

Maybe a mod (@Madmick?) can move it there.

surface, or surface book.

Surface Pro master race checking in.

You realize your "ok size" is as large as they get, right?

I bought an laptop for like $350 off amazon and it works well.

Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM 15.6-Inch FHD Notebook (Intel Core i3-7100U 7th Generation , 4GB DDR4, 1TB 5400RPM HD, Intel HD Graphics 620, Windows 10 Home), Obsidian Black

Back