Sherdog Official Gaming Laptop Discussion Thread (New Desktop-class NVIDIA 10 Series GPUs Available)

If you guys want a legit gaming laptop with the ability to be a work horse, I'd suggest the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 14.
I went through 4 Surface Pro 4's before giving up and getting this Lenovo. It occasionally goes on sale for $650 and is ONLY available at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lid-state-drive-black/4456400.p?skuId=4456400

Specs:
i5 Skylake 6200U
8GB RAM
256gb SSD
2gb Geforce 940m
Active Wacom Pro Pen Built in
1080p IPS screen
360 hinge for tablet, tent, or laptop mode.

I run Photoshop, CS:GO, Overwatch, Elder Scrolls Online, and Diablo 3 without any issues at low-medium settings @ 1080p.
Best bang for your buck IMO.

If you guys want a legit gaming laptop with the ability to be a work horse, I'd suggest the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 14.
I went through 4 Surface Pro 4's before giving up and getting this Lenovo. It occasionally goes on sale for $650 and is ONLY available at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lid-state-drive-black/4456400.p?skuId=4456400

Specs:
i5 Skylake 6200U
8GB RAM
256gb SSD
2gb Geforce 940m
1080p IPS screen

I run Photoshop, CS:GO, Overwatch, Elder Scrolls Online, and Diablo 3 without any issues at low-medium settings @ 1080p.
You thought Surface Pro 4's were intended for Windows gaming? Why? Because they run Windows?

William-Shatner-Slapping-Himself.gif

I'm surprised it took you 4x to learn that lesson. With tablets: keep it light, keep it casual. The i7's are for speed and responsiveness of office work (or more intensive casual use than normal for tablets), not freaking gaming.

yeah. I love my surface 4, best laptop I've owned. Outside of very light stuff like stardew valley and steamworld heist I haven't play many games on it though.

You thought Surface Pro 4's were intended for Windows gaming? Why? Because they run Windows?

William-Shatner-Slapping-Himself.gif

I'm surprised it took you 4x to learn that lesson. With tablets: keep it light, keep it casual. The i7's are for speed and responsiveness of office work (or more intensive casual use than normal for tablets), not freaking gaming.

Got the SP4 for the portability, however, it does have gaming capabilities. You can play games like CS:GO, Diablo 3, and the like. It's not going to max out Witcher 3, but it does have the capability.
My issues had to do more with QA than anything else.
I loved the design of the SP4, but it's still needs a few generations before it becomes a killer.
Playing D3 with the stylus was surprisingly fun.

Specs:
i5 Skylake 6200U
8GB RAM
256gb SSD
2gb Geforce 940m
1080p IPS screen

lol oh my god...really MK?

Got the SP4 for the portability, however, it does have gaming capabilities. You can play games like CS:GO, Diablo 3, and the like. It's not going to max out Witcher 3, but it does have the capability.
My issues had to do more with QA than anything else.
I loved the design of the SP4, but it's still needs a few generations before it becomes a killer.
Playing D3 with the stylus was surprisingly fun.
That's what I'm trying to convey here. Your testimony is an excellent teaching tool, here, to illustrate a more esoteric truth; simply because a computer has the processing power to handle more intensive games doesn't mean it was designed for sustaining those heat-burdens. Gaming is a relentless producer of heat like nothing else but a few video editing tasks. While tablets can tolerate an i7's extreme heat in peaks for normal use...sustained use will overwhelm the systems, eventually, with the heat stress ultimately taking a toll.

The same problem tends to plague the really cheap laptops that stick quad core i5 or i7 processors in them. Just too much heat for a plastic chassis that hasn't been well-constructed to dissipate the heat dump over time.

This is what I settled on:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-rog-gl552vw-i7-6700hq-ca-115547.htm

I spent more than I was planning on, but fuck it. YOLO and all that. I have always been a Asus fan.

Huge thanks to @Madmick and anyone else that helped out with some direction.
OK So I bought this in May, and I have used it LITERALLY less than probably 20 times. I never got started using it what it was intended for. I fired it up this morning to order some supplements and this is what I see!
WTF is going on with this thing guys?

OK So I bought this in May, and I have used it LITERALLY less than probably 20 times. I never got started using it what it was intended for. I fired it up this morning to order some supplements and this is what I see!
WTF is going on with this thing guys?

Send it in for warranty repair.

Gay.

Fucken 1500 dollars....
Silicon lottery. Happens at all price points. You had some bad luck, but you're inside warranty, so you're okay if you just take the time to gather the paperwork, make a call, and mail off the laptop back to them. It's a hassle, I know, but it's a hassle certainly worth $1500.

could someone give me their opinion if this gaming laptop is a good deal?

$1329

$1229 after rebate

not including tax

ofc I'm worried about the durability and how it handles heat. Thinking if I buy a cooling pad for the bottom it should be ok. Then again with 1300 I could make my own PC.

MSI 17.3" GE72VR Apache Pro-009 Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop VR Ready

Specs, Warranty & Returns

Item #: N82E16834154299

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=34-154-299&utm_source=Bluecore&utm_medium=BehEmail&utm_campaign=Post_Browsed&cm_mmc=EMCPB-032017-_-PB-_-Bluecore-_-Content&obem=YQLtI3GmzslR1D4ZwQG1PSnt39wztMglwT66eOsl5Tg=

Yeah, looks like a really solid deal to me.

could someone give me their opinion if this gaming laptop is a good deal?

$1329

$1229 after rebate

not including tax

ofc I'm worried about the durability and how it handles heat. Thinking if I buy a cooling pad for the bottom it should be ok. Then again with 1300 I could make my own PC.

MSI 17.3" GE72VR Apache Pro-009 Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop VR Ready

Specs, Warranty & Returns

Item #: N82E16834154299

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=34-154-299&utm_source=Bluecore&utm_medium=BehEmail&utm_campaign=Post_Browsed&cm_mmc=EMCPB-032017-_-PB-_-Bluecore-_-Content&obem=YQLtI3GmzslR1D4ZwQG1PSnt39wztMglwT66eOsl5Tg=
Looks good I guess...but why a 17"? 15" is the sweetspot. If I won't be lugging around a 17" behemoth, I might as well go desktop.

Not gaming related but I am looking around for some laptops and mobile printers for work.
Anyone know of some decent computers on the cheap side for mostly viewing spreadsheets, PDFs, and running the software that tracks my hourly guys?

Not gaming related but I am looking around for some laptops and mobile printers for work.
Anyone know of some decent computers on the cheap side for mostly viewing spreadsheets, PDFs, and running the software that tracks my hourly guys?
Have you looked at the Chromebooks? If they can do everything you want, they are cheaper than comparable Windows laptops in terms of hardware by a fair margin, usually, but if you need to install software that tracks your guys that could be a hiccup unless that is webware. Not all Chromebooks are easy to open up like Chromeboxes and remove the motherboard screw that prevents you from installing software.

But if you can do everything online (Spreadsheets via Google Sheets and PDF's via webware are definitely a go) then the upside to the security advantages of Chromebooks for a work machine are fantastic.

Have you looked at the Chromebooks? If they can do everything you want, they are cheaper than comparable Windows laptops in terms of hardware by a fair margin, usually, but if you need to install software that tracks your guys that could be a hiccup unless that is webware. Not all Chromebooks are easy to open up like Chromeboxes and remove the motherboard screw that prevents you from installing software.

But if you can do everything online (Spreadsheets via Google Sheets and PDF's via webware are definitely a go) then the upside to the security advantages of Chromebooks for a work machine are fantastic.
That seems like a really good idea.

hey guys, wanted to ask a quick question of whether you think this laptop on ebay is worth the money. I need a pretty decent one to use whilst travelling, but I still wanna be able to play decent graphical games on it. not had a chance to do much research into it as I simply don't have the time right now. any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182494389001?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

it's only got a day left so I'm tempted to put a bid in if the bids don't go much higher.

hey guys, wanted to ask a quick question of whether you think this laptop on ebay is worth the money. I need a pretty decent one to use whilst travelling, but I still wanna be able to play decent graphical games on it. not had a chance to do much research into it as I simply don't have the time right now. any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182494389001?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

it's only got a day left so I'm tempted to put a bid in if the bids don't go much higher.

There's something in the description that would make me suspicious. It says what type of thermal paste was used. I've never seen a manufacturer ever mention what brand of thermal paste was used. That would make me think he took it apart and reapplied the thermal paste, which leads to more questions. Did he do it because it was overheating on him? Did he put it back together right?
It may be fine, but considering the above and the negative feedback that was left on him as a seller within the last month, I'd look elsewhere.
If you decide to go for it, you should be fine for medium settings @30fps @1080p on newer games.
Since it's a 13 inch and has a crack, I wouldn't much higher than what's listed. Maybe another 25 pounds but that's it.

Back