SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 77 Discussion - Halloween

I never did see it, but what's strange is that I remember it getting a good reception when it first came out but I hear nothing but negative comments now.

Maybe I'm misremembering.

I don't think it was awful by any stretch, just an imperfect re-imagining for my personal tastes.

He wants to kill girls, we know his target. I'm just saying it didn't really work for me the way some of the other things didn't work for you. I would much preferred that Carpenter didn't make it look like Michael Myers was specifically targeting a girl who was fooling around with her boyfriend. It just didn't make sense to me. If you are going to do that at least tell me his mother was a whore.

I never did understand his motivation. WHY precisely did he want to come back to this town and do this? Why did he target who he targeted? Why did he gravitate toward that house?

I have no idea.

This backstory is all you really needed

"The blackest eyes, The devils eyes"

Michael is just pure evil and thats all you really need to know to make the movie scary

The original Halloween as a story and plot is as barebones as it gets. "Random Killer killing" It is very simple stuff. Much like the original Alien movie

When you start making sequels you obviously gotta try to add onto that so they were almost forced to come up with reasons for Michaels actions.

I never did understand his motivation. WHY precisely did he want to come back to this town and do this? Why did he target who he targeted? Why did he gravitate toward that house?

I have no idea.

Yea we know when he escaped the psychiatric prison he went back to the same town and back to the same house where he committed the murder from the opening scene. What we don't know is his obsession with that particular house. Seems like a pretty important detail to leave out.

Twitter is a good place for that

Good amount of sherdogers use it

I guess I'm old fashioned but the few SDers that I've communicated with outside of SD has been through e-mail.

I have a Twitter account but haven't really fucked with it. I don't even really know how it works.

This backstory is all you really needed

"The blackest eyes, The devils eyes"

Michael is just pure evil and thats all you really need to know to make the movie scary

The original Halloween as a story and plot is as barebones as it gets. "Random Killer killing" It is very simple stuff. Much like the original Alien movie

When you start making sequels you obviously gotta try to add onto that so they were almost forced to come up with reasons for Michaels actions.

I agree but its frustrating. As I pointed out in post #5, I was immediately struck with how minimalist the film is when it comes to sets, story line, and even the score. I almost want to say its austere.

having an extremely plain and simple style or appearance; unadorned:

So it's true that you guys can read our PMs?

I'm pretty sure they can.

Believe it or not, no. Not unless we're privy to the conversation. I say just about anything goes, because PMs can be reported just like any normal post, and if that happens (it has happened before) we go from there. Otherwise, there's no big blue brother reading what you're saying in your PMs.

I have no idea.

Ain't Jamie Lee his sister?

My favorite horror film bar none and top 5 film overall for me. It is not a perfect film, but there are things about it that are perfect.

One thing that people overlook a lot is the OVERALL score. People refer to the "Halloween theme". That's the "main theme" that most people are familiar with. It actually has about five pieces that are distinctly themed and signify different things.

Here they are, I'll put the main one last -

Judith Myers theme

Laurie's theme

Myers house theme

Stalking theme

Main theme

The genius of all this is that working with a shoe string budget they were able to imply extra meaning to what might otherwise be mundane shots. I was always partial to Laurie's theme in particular as it makes great use of this technique.

Ain't Jamie Lee his sister?

Nope. Michael is Michael Myers. Jamie Lee's character is Laurie Strode.

He actually doesn't even come directly for Jamie Lee until she enters her friend's house, where he's been doing all the killing. Jamie Lee lives across the street.

EDIT: Apparently in the sequels they reveal she's his sister.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite horror film bar none and top 5 film overall for me. It is not a perfect film, but there are things about it that are perfect.

One thing that people overlook a lot is the OVERALL score. People refer to the "Halloween theme". That's the "main theme" that most people are familiar with. It actually has about five pieces that are distinctly themed and signify different things.

Here they are, I'll put the main one last -

Judith Myers theme

Laurie's theme

Myers house theme

Stalking theme

Main theme

The genius of all this is that working with a shoe string budget they were able to imply extra meaning to what might otherwise be mundane shots. I was always partial to Laurie's theme in particular as it makes great use of this technique.

No one makes music like John Carpenter.

Interesting how this discussion has brought in a lot more non-members than usual.

Alright. I'm gonna be that guy. The little girl from Halloween 5 (and The Last Boy Scout!) grew up to be hot.
danielle-harris-halloween-4-galaxy-international-110515.jpg

and topless in the Rob Zombie remake.

Nope. Michael is Michael Myers. Jamie Lee's character is Laurie Strode.

Actually, I think one of the sequels reveals that Laurie Strode is a Myers after all, and is Michael's sister.

Actually, I think one of the sequels reveals that Laurie Strode is a Myers after all, and is Michael's sister.

Really?

Interesting. That sounds like some retcon shit.

The only sequel I've seen is H20.

Yeah bro

Michael is her brother in the sequels

That is why he comes for her

Halloween 2? I think explains that

Back