SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 73 Discussion - Thief

As I said in my first post, I thought the film started out great. While they're breaking into that safe I felt that no words were necessary. I was riveted just watching the process go down, with no dialogue necessary. After we get past that scene and he's safely in the clear, though, that's when I felt that the movie slowed down significantly.

I'd agree with usulrah that he wasn't totally unlikable. Yes, he has his flaws, but he's a man of certain principles.

He was loyal to Okla and I think that when he sent his wife and kid away, he genuinely believed that he was doing it for their own good. He knew they needed to get out of there to survive. And while I personally like to believe that he reunited with them after he was in the clear, I think that if he didn't it was out of a desire to not bring any kind of heat their way (whether in the form of cops or mobsters). He was protecting them.

Can we talk about Michael Mann for a minute?

This is a dude who has basically built an entire career off making one kind of movie: gritty crime dramas. There have been a few exceptions--Last of the Mohicans, Ali, The Insider--but the vast majority of his films fall into the same narrow genre.

I think he's a very good filmmaker, but he also hasn't made a movie that I enjoyed very much in 17 years. Collateral was that film. Since then he's made Miami Vice (which I found disappointing), Public Enemies (another disappointment and also one of the weirdest looking movies I've seen) and Blackhat (starts out well, but becomes very dull very quickly).

I can't help but think that he's lost a step in his later years. I hope that he can make at least one last great film before the dude calls it a career, but at 74 years old the clock is ticking.
I think I'm in the minority that loves Miami vice, like it better than collateral. I like public enemies to but don't love it. Also enjoyed blackhat but definitely understand the issues people have with it. I do sorta agree that he's lost a step, as most directors do by his age.

I'd also add the keep to the non gritty crime drama pile. 4 vs 7 ain't that bad a lot of directors have a genre they work in the most often

I think I'm in the minority that loves Miami vice, like it better than collateral.

I only saw it once, in the theater when it was first released. No doubt part of my disappointment was that I wanted something that was true to the show. I wanted this:

Miami_Vice.jpg

Not this:

Miami-Vice-Movie-Reboot-Universal-Pictures.jpg

And I'm not talking about the original actors. I'm talking about the feel of the show. Despite it's serious subject matter, the show was always slick and stylish and fun. With the movie though, Mann decided to go his usual "dark and gritty" route.

I was also hoping the movie would be set in the 80s, like the show.

In any case, like I said I only saw it once. Maybe I should revisit it soon and give it another chance.

I'd also add the keep to the non gritty crime drama pile. 4 vs 7 ain't that bad a lot of directors have a genre they work in the most often

Does that movie even count?

Just judging by it's RT score, I took it for Mann's version of James Cameron's Piranha 2. That is, a film that he technically made but is best left forgotten.

I only saw it once, in the theater when it was first released. No doubt part of my disappointment was that I wanted something that was true to the show. I wanted this:

Miami_Vice.jpg

Not this:

Miami-Vice-Movie-Reboot-Universal-Pictures.jpg

And I'm not talking about the original actors. I'm talking about the feel of the show. Despite it's serious subject matter, the show was always slick and stylish and fun. With the movie though, Mann decided to go his usual "dark and gritty" route.

I was also hoping the movie would be set in the 80s, like the show.

In any case, like I said I only saw it once. Maybe I should revisit it soon and give it another chance.

Does that movie even count?

Just judging by it's RT score, I took it for Mann's version of James Cameron's Piranha 2. That is, a film that he technically made but is best left forgotten.
Yeah it probably helped I had never seen the show( only started watching last week) I'm also a fan of Collin Farrell

I definitely think the keep should count gotta take the good with the bad. It's a mess but I revisit it around Halloween sometimes

If anyone's interested here's the scene from heat that mentions a Frankie from Chicago that's probably theifs frank

Pretty interesting little detail to connect the two films if true.
We should find out if true with the heat prequel novel. It's gonna cover hanna taking down frankies crew in Chicago. So if it is true I guess it's gonna be a heat prequel and a thief sequel

This shit even has a tribute on one of the GOAT synthwave albums

This shit even has a tribute on one of the GOAT synthwave albums

Cool song might look into them/him/her

Fucking love the beach theme by tangerine dream

As I said in my first post, I thought the film started out great. While they're breaking into that safe I felt that no words were necessary. I was riveted just watching the process go down, with no dialogue necessary. After we get past that scene and he's safely in the clear, though, that's when I felt that the movie slowed down significantly.

I'd agree with usulrah that he wasn't totally unlikable. Yes, he has his flaws, but he's a man of certain principles.

He was loyal to Okla and I think that when he sent his wife and kid away, he genuinely believed that he was doing it for their own good. He knew they needed to get out of there to survive. And while I personally like to believe that he reunited with them after he was in the clear, I think that if he didn't it was out of a desire to not bring any kind of heat their way (whether in the form of cops or mobsters). He was protecting them.

I understand that him sending them away was an act of making sure they are safe. I think you and @usulrah are taking my summation of Frank as a criticism on the character, and therefor a criticism on the movie. Frank seems like a guy I personally wouldn't like, but I'm not faulting Mann for making him that way because it was essential for the purpose of the story. I like Frank in the way he's invented. I think it makes the movie more interesting. Am I making sense?

Can we talk about Michael Mann for a minute?

This is a dude who has basically built an entire career off making one kind of movie: gritty crime dramas. There have been a few exceptions--Last of the Mohicans, Ali, The Insider--but the vast majority of his films fall into the same narrow genre.

I think he's a very good filmmaker, but he also hasn't made a movie that I enjoyed very much in 17 years. Collateral was that film. Since then he's made Miami Vice (which I found disappointing), Public Enemies (another disappointment and also one of the weirdest looking movies I've seen) and Blackhat (starts out well, but becomes very dull very quickly).

I can't help but think that he's lost a step in his later years. I hope that he can make at least one last great film before the dude calls it a career, but at 74 years old the clock is ticking.

I also found Miami Vice to be boring, the movie that is. I haven't really watched the show much. I haven't seen Public Enemies or Blackhat, so I can't say much about them, but I do think Last of the Mohicans, Heat, Collateral, Manhunter, and Crime Story are great, and I also like Thief. For me he's been pretty entertaining. It's hard to keep a consistent record going, especially when it's proven to be pretty darn good.

It was staged a bit weirdly. What stood out to me more was that Leo seemed to just kind of stand there. Like, it seemed as if he had ample time to know that Frank was there and aim his weapon but he just didn't.

I dunno. I actually would've preferred it if Frank had just busted in guns blazing and steamrolled everyone like it wasn't shit.

I also wasn't sure why Frank went to the trouble of knocking Attaglia out. Why not just shoot him? He had to do it eventually anyway.

What if we see Leo get behind the cabinet like we do, and then when Frank enters that room later, we the audience can see the cabinet, but not Leo. In our heads we'd be like, "Oh shit, Frank! Look out! He's right behind there!" Frank slowly cases the room, he peers behind the cabinet, but Leo's not there. That's when Leo comes up behind him and takes a shot that either wings Frank, or he clumsily misses, and Frank is able to turn around and cap him. This way it would be like a misdirection for the audience and more of a surprise. I don't know, it's probably just nitpicking, but I always found the Leo behind the cabinet bit to play out a little odd.

I think your being a bit harsh on Ol frank. Yeah he wants it his way but it's sort of explained in the dinner scene. He's spent most of his adult life in person and now he believes he run out of time for a normal life so he's desperately trying to get that.

And he is Cleary shown that he can compromise and change his position buy negotiating and being employed by Leo. It's Leo who broke the deal and was unreasonable. I also wouldn't call not wanting to be a prison bitch and wanting the money that all parties had agreed to was franks as it being franks way or the highway. He and Jessie had pretty much given up on the child until Leo stepped in it wasn't like he got rejected by the orphanage and went fuck you and went out looking for the nearest street baby.

My point with the his way or the highway is that he doesn't roll over for anyone. I wasn't saying it was a bad trait of his, just merely observing his character. It's one of Frank's more admirable traits.

I understand that him sending them away was an act of making sure they are safe. I think you and @usulrah are taking my summation of Frank as a criticism on the character, and therefor a criticism on the movie. Frank seems like a guy I personally wouldn't like, but I'm not faulting Mann for making him that way because it was essential for the purpose of the story. I like Frank in the way he's invented. I think it makes the movie more interesting. Am I making sense?

I also found Miami Vice to be boring, the movie that is. I haven't really watched the show much. I haven't seen Public Enemies or Blackhat, so I can't say much about them, but I do think Last of the Mohicans, Heat, Collateral, Manhunter, and Crime Story are great, and I also like Thief. For me he's been pretty entertaining. It's hard to keep a consistent record going, especially when it's proven to be pretty darn good.

I think what it sounded like to me at least was that you were saying Frank is inherently selfish. He also does what's good for him or what he feels like doing, regardless of the consequences for others.

What if we see Leo get behind the cabinet like we do, and then when Frank enters that room later, we the audience can see the cabinet, but not Leo. In our heads we'd be like, "Oh shit, Frank! Look out! He's right behind there!" Frank slowly cases the room, he peers behind the cabinet, but Leo's not there. That's when Leo comes up behind him and takes a shot that either wings Frank, or he clumsily misses, and Frank is able to turn around and cap him. This way it would be like a misdirection for the audience and more of a surprise. I don't know, it's probably just nitpicking, but I always found the Leo behind the cabinet bit to play out a little odd.

I could get down with that.

So what's Thief about?

Frank wants the American Dream. He wants prosperity, respectability and a loving family. He also wants to be a self-made man, beholden to no-one but himself. But given that he's a criminal by proffesion, and the very skills that he uses to achieve said Dream are those of a criminal... there's no doubt that a conflict is forthcomming.

I think that the adoption-interview scene tells us a lot about Frank's character. He loses it pretty quickly with the desk-clerk when his time as a convict get's brought up. He knows it will lead to trouble. Listen to what he says. "I was state raised", and then he asks "You grew up in the suburbs?" with a tone of accusation and irked jelousy.

Frank want's desperately to be part of the mainstream. To wants a slice of the American pie. But his nature as a criminal dogs him. He blares those words at the desk-clerk because he wants to point out that he has had it rougher than they had. He didn't grow up in no cozy suburb. He wants to be the self-made man who rose from the grime by the abilities of his own hands.

Yet he's a Thief... so of course it's not goint to be easy.

I found it interesting that the film never shows Frank trying to live a legit life. He has no qualms about trying to achieve the American Dream through stealing (and then retiring, turning legit just as he's made his fortune). This is a staple of ex-con movies -- the protagonist trying to live a legit life but then sinking back into crime due to greed, necessity or pure existentialism. Straight Time or Carlito's Way being highly regarded examples of this trope.

Frank is so existentially a Thief... that he does not even consider the alternatives.

theif01.jpg

So Frank meets Leo.

What's interesting about Leo, is that his notions of partnership is very Feudal. He grants his clients services (police protection, child adoption, anything really) and in return he gets services from his clients (vault cracking in Frank's case). This is a life-style. You don't break it. It's a Feudal bond. Just by working in this enviorment -- he considers that you're in tactile agreement of this type of partnership.

This, of course, crashes with Frank's notions of wanting to be an independent, self-made man... who can turn legit precisely when he wants to. He wants a one-time Deal. Not a Feudal partnership. He constantly spurrs Leo's advances to make him a clientel, rejecting the gifts that cause ties which bind. That's until the adoption question is brought up.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm interested in this moment. Frank is gamey and street-wise. Up until this point -- he has steadily rejected all of Leo's gifts-with-strings. But when Leo offers a baby -- Frank instantly caves. There's no need to point out that attaning a baby is no small -- or ordinary -- task.

Why is this? Is there some cultural misunderstanding (Frank just seeing it as kindness while Leo sees it as a part of making Frank a clientele?). That explanation would make Frank out to be uncharacteristically blue-eyed. Probably he was just so overjoyed that he didn't consider the implications of Leo offering him a child. Emotions overtook instincts.

So the robbery goes off without a hitch. Frank wants to leave. Leo considers them to be partners now. He gave Frank a job. He gave Frank a baby. That baby is a mortgage, damit! Working as a criminal for the mob is not just a job. There's something Feudal about it.

Franks trouble spring from a contridictions. He wants to achieve the American Dream -- but he wants to do so through criminal means. The two realms are too different to smoothly transition between each other. Conflict is bound to occour. One does not simply "cease" being part of the criminal realm. The underworld does not work that way. It inhibits the independence of men who think themselves as self-made.

That brings to mind the ending. Frank drives away, alive. I agree with muntjac's assessement that "one does not simply kill a mob boss". But this is a film -- so I think we can look at it a bit more thematically than realistically. The thing is... Frank still does not have the money to retire for life. He's bound for future crack-saving to make his Dream-making fortune come through. The struggle is still ahead for sandy beaches and clear horizons.

Following my path-of-reasoning, consering the contridiction between the criminal and the American Dream -- as well as Frank's existential identification as a Theif -- I think he will be stuck in the underworld. Hunting that big score. Never truly making it. Always being stifled by the inherent contridiction of trying to go legit through criminal means.

That pretty much leaves Manhunter

I didn't pick this movie, I wanted to watch the Lector movie, not a Caan movie.

Manhunter is my favorite Mann movie. I saw it at the cinema recently, it was glorious.

He even remaked it as a Miami Vice episode.

It reminds me of the early scene in To Live and Die in LA where we get to see how the counterfeit cash is actually made.

Funnily enough, a lot of people have pointed out that To Live and Die in LA is basically Friedkin doing a Micheal Mann pastiche. That said, filming the procedural itself as something fascinating is a trait that both Mann and Friedkin share and love.

Another cool thing about this film has things that became 80s staples like the neon and synth score but was released in 81 and probably filmed in 80. So seems like sort of a trend setter

Yeah I was thinking that as well. What precursors are there really to Thief? You can see the influences of Noir and the New Hollywood crowd but there is no doubt that Mann created a beast of his own with this film. Maybe the neat style of Point Blank served as a precursor? That's probably the most precient example I can think of.

point-blank.jpg

Speaking of Michael Mann's style. I think the Noir influences are much more telling in this film than his later work. I'm thinking of how stuff like shadows play on your actors faces. That's something Mann would iron out more in his later pictures.

Also... I'm starting to think that Mann has a thing for oceanic horizons. It's rather John Ford-esque except you substitute the desert with water.

image-w1280.jpg

manhunter-1.jpg

heat-main.jpg

(all these pictures are making me feel like I'm MusterX or something).

On why frank didn't explain to Jessie the reasons I thought was because he need the same mental attitude he had in prison where he didn't care if he lived or died, if he had her waiting in the wings I doubt he could achieve it. It's the same reason he destroyed everything. I also think she would try to make frank just leave with her if he explained he was going on a suicide mission

To keep going with my line of reasoning from above.

I also think that involving her heavily in his criminal business would sully his quest for the American Dream. He wants to go legit, he wants respectability -- in relation to her, he wants an unconcerned, loving housewife.

If Jessie truly knew all the sordid details of his work -- would the spell then be broken and made unfixable? Could their co-existence really be idyllic if she was involved in his dirty trade? Sheltering her from the bloodshed means that they might still be able to retire somewhere and live in blissful ignorance of their criminal background. Could that illusion be upheld if she knew how close death lay?

He did pour his heart out to her. Pointed out that he's obviously no car-salesman. But even that rant was sketchy on the really daming details.

So what's Thief about?

Frank wants the American Dream. He wants prosperity, respectability and a loving family. He also wants to be a self-made man, beholden to no-one but himself. But given that he's a criminal by proffesion, and the very skills that he uses to achieve said Dream are those of a criminal... there's no doubt that a conflict is forthcomming.

I think that the adoption-interview scene tells us a lot about Frank's character. He loses it pretty quickly with the desk-clerk when his time as a convict get's brought up. He knows it will lead to trouble. Listen to what he says. "I was state raised", and then he asks "You grew up in the suburbs?" with a tone of accusation and irked jelousy.

Frank want's desperately to be part of the mainstream. To wants a slice of the American pie. But his nature as a criminal dogs him. He blares those words at the desk-clerk because he wants to point out that he has had it rougher than they had. He didn't grow up in no cozy suburb. He wants to be the self-made man who rose from the grime by the abilities of his own hands.

I found it interesting that the film never shows Frank trying to live a legit life. He has no qualms about trying to achieve the American Dream through stealing (and then retiring, turning legit just as he's made his fortune). This is a staple of ex-con movies -- the protagonist trying to live a legit life but then sinking back into crime due to greed, necessity or pure existentialism. Straight Time or Carlito's Way being highly regarded examples of this trope.

Frank is so existentially a Thief... that he does not even consider the alternatives.

theif01.jpg

So Frank meets Leo.

What's interesting about Leo, is that his notions of partnership is very Feudal. He grants his clients services (police protection, child adoption, anything really) and in return he gets services from his clients (vault cracking in Frank's case). This is a life-style. You don't break it. It's a Feudal bond. Just by working in this enviorment -- he considers that you're in tactile agreement of this type of partnership.

This, of course, crashes with Frank's notions of wanting to be an independent, self-made man... who can turn legit precisely when he wants to. He wants a one-time Deal. Not a Feudal partnership. He constantly spurrs Leo's advances to make him a clientel, rejecting the gifts that cause ties which bind. That's until the adoption question is brought up.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm interested in this moment. Frank is gamey and street-wise. Up until this point -- he has steadily rejected all of Leo's gifts-with-strings. But when Leo offers a baby -- Frank instantly caves. There's no need to point out that attaning a baby is no small -- or ordinary -- task.

Why is this? Is there some cultural misunderstanding (Frank just seeing it as kindness while Leo sees it as a part of making Frank a clientele?). That explanation would make Frank out to be uncharacteristically blue-eyed. Probably he was just so overjoyed that he didn't consider the implications of Leo offering him a child. Emotions overtook instincts.

So the robbery goes off without a hitch. Frank wants to leave. Leo considers them to be partners now. He gave Frank a job. He gave Frank a baby. That baby is a mortgage, damit! Working as a criminal for the mob is not just a job. There's something Feudal about it.

Franks trouble spring from a contridictions. He wants to achieve the American Dream -- but he wants to do so through criminal means. The two realms are too different to smoothly transition between each other. Conflict is bound to occour. One does not simply "cease" being part of the criminal realm. The underworld does not work that way. It inhibits the independence of men who think themselves as self-made.

That brings to mind the ending. Frank drives away, alive. I agree with muntjac's assessement that "one does not simply kill a mob boss". But this is a film -- so I think we can look at it a bit more thematically than realistically. The thing is... Frank still does not have the money to retire for life. He's bound for future crack-saving to make his Dream-making fortune come through. The struggle is still ahead for sandy beaches and clear horizons.

Following my path-of-reasoning, consering the contridiction between the criminal and the American Dream -- as well as Frank's existential identification as a Theif -- I think he will be stuck in the underworld. Hunting that big score. Never truly making it. Always being stifled by the inherent contridiction of trying to go legit through criminal means.

Manhunter is my favorite Mann movie. I saw it at the cinema recently, it was glorious.

Funnily enough, a lot of people have pointed out that To Live and Die in LA is basically Friedkin doing a Micheal Mann pastiche. That said, filming the procedural itself as something fascinating is a trait that both Mann and Friedkin share and love.

Yeah I was thinking that as well. What precursors are there really to Thief? You can see the influences of Noir and the New Hollywood crowd but there is no doubt that Mann created a beast of his own with this film. Maybe the neat style of Point Blank served as a precursor? That's probably the most precient example I can think of.

point-blank.jpg

Speaking of Michael Mann's style. I think the Noir influences are much more telling in this film than his later work. I'm thinking of how stuff like shadows play on your actors faces. That's something Mann would iron out more in his later pictures.

Also... I'm starting to think that Mann has a thing for oceanic horizons. It's rather John Ford-esque except you substitute the desert with water.

image-w1280.jpg

manhunter-1.jpg

heat-main.jpg

I also think that involving her heavily in his criminal business would sully his quest for the American Dream. He wants to go legit, he wants respectability -- in relation to her, he wants an unconcerned, loving housewife.

If Jessie truly knew all the sordid details of his work -- would the spell then be broken and made unfixable? Could their co-existence really be idyllic if she was involved in his dirty trade? Sheltering her from the bloodshed means that they might still be able to retire somewhere and live in blissful ignorance of their criminal background. Could that illusion be upheld if she knew how close death lay?

He did pour his heart out to her. Pointed out that he's obviously no car-salesman. But even that rant was sketchy on the really daming details.

Good write up, I pretty much agree with all of it.

1. Pictures are good. Everyone likes to look at them.

2. I should have thought of Carlito's Way. I have a family member in the cast.

3. The baby thing I saw as Frank realizing that there was no other way. In order to get the house and the wife and the white picket fence existence he had to have a baby and the adoption agency was never going to give him one.

4. Yes Frank wants to go legit through criminal means but that happens in America, more than you think. Even at the level of real organized crime they buy construction businesses and other legitimate businesses with their crime money. Leo in fact was trying to do this for Frank with the strip malls. Taking dirty money and making it clean money is an American institution.

I definitely get some Michael Mann vibes from To Live and Die in LA. It is very reminiscent of Mann's films, though I can't call it a ripoff considering that it was made in 1985. In 1985 the world was still yet to see most of Mann's output.

I do enjoy "process" films though, and by process films I mean those that really luxuriate in the process of doing something. Provided the thing being done is interesting, I think it really can be fascinating just to see the actual process by which certain tasks are achieved.

On a related note, I also like films that build interesting worlds. You know me, I'm a plot guy. More than anything I want a clever and interesting narrative in my movies. But if you can build an interesting world that I simply like spending time in then that can sometimes overcome my need for a very interesting plot.

Dare I say that that's one reason I love Spring Breakers? I find the world that it creates through its visuals, soundtrack and characters to be inherently interesting enough that I love the film, even though the same story told in a different way could be dull as fuck.

LOL

So what's Thief about?

theif01.jpg

So Frank meets Leo.

maxresdefault.jpg

point-blank.jpg

image-w1280.jpg

manhunter-1.jpg

heat-main.jpg

Good write up, sir. Frank wants what all the other law abiding citizens have, and he plans to achieve that through breaking the law. I guess that's all he knows since he went to jail for all of his 20s and while out he's been cracking safes. He doesn't really know how to fit in with society since he hasn't really been part of it. Hence why his game with women is to drag them by the arm while shouting at them, and his public outbursts when he's confronted with something he doesn't like. He's civility stunted.

I should have thought of Carlito's Way. I have a family member in the cast.

Al Pacino's your dad, I knew it!

Good write up, sir. Frank wants what all the other law abiding citizens have, and he plans to achieve that through breaking the law. I guess that's all he knows since he went to jail for all of his 20s and while out he's been cracking safes. He doesn't really know how to fit in with society since he hasn't really been part of it. Hence why his game with women is to drag them by the arm while shouting at them, and his public outbursts when he's confronted with something he doesn't like. He's civility stunted.

Al Pacino's your dad, I knew it!

Well he met Willie Nelson in jail and Willie trained him how to crack safes. That often happens in American prisons, its a place to learn how to better break the law. Its like school for criminals.

Nope, not Pacino. Penelope Ann Miller.

Well he met Willie Nelson in jail and Willie trained him how to crack safes. That often happens in American prisons, its a place to learn how to better break the law. Its like school for criminals.

Nope, not Pacino. Penelope Ann Miller.

Penelope Ann Miller is your dad? I wasn't expecting that.

Even though this is my favourite film one thing that I've never quite understand is frank seems to have a two pretty good legit businesses from the get go in the car yard and the bar plus 410 grand saved. Seems like he could stop doing scores from the beginning of the film. Though maybe he wants enough saved to never ever have to worry about anything

@shadow_priest_x did you end up watching manhunter?

Even though this is my favourite film one thing that I've never quite understand is frank seems to have a two pretty good legit businesses from the get go in the car yard and the bar plus 410 grand saved. Seems like he could stop doing scores from the beginning of the film. Though maybe he wants enough saved to never ever have to worry about anything

@shadow_priest_x did you end up watching manhunter?

That's how upper limit crime is done man. You can't just be a jewel thief with no job or apparent income because that's how you go to jail. His legit businesses keep the law looking the other way and the I.R.S. as well. The mafia, for example, commonly owns construction companies and dry cleaners and all sorts of legitimate businesses. Petty crime is the guy standing on the corner selling crack. Real crime takes hard work and dedication.

Back