SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 67 Discussion - The Room

Is there a worse actress than Lisa's mother? I mean every line she says, it's just pure manufactured nonsense. She's even worse than Johnny's acting, I think.

And no, I still haven't seen the Disaster Artist, I need to soon. Same with Best F(r)iends.

According to the internet, Tommy Wiseau is 62 now. That put him at 47 in the film, and he looked alright for that when they showed that obligatory shot of his butt.

Why is it that Mark was so willing to bang Lisa in the middle of saying "he's my best friend" like six times? Even Lisa said it once, but I think that was to rub his nose in it. I'm sure there was plenty of that in that silly second sex scene too.

I've worked at a lot of places, but I can't remember telling someone "you're my favorite customer" before. Also, that dog looked like it was affixed to the counter and not an actual dog.

Johnny didn't get his promotion, the one he was promised within 3 months. They betrayed him and didn't keep their promise, and he doesn't care anymore. He already makes plenty of money, but the fact that he didn't get a big promotion in three months means that they're the devil? I'm on the fence about this. I used to think Johnny had the worst luck, but that one doesn't seem that big of a deal in the scheme of things.

Also, Scotchka (half scotch, half vodka) is vile and disgusting. It doesn't taste like anything good. A full glass of that is brutal, I can enjoy drinks straight like the best of us, but that stuff burns the throat and doesn't make things fun. Have you ever had a glass of vodka? Just a glass of it? They seem to enjoy it, but it's not really a sipping beverage for me.

In 26 minutes of the film, we're up to our third unnecessary sex scene. Did we have another after that? They really frontloaded this mess, and it looked like the second was just made of scenes cut out of the first one.

And they keep making it seem like it's raining outside, but whenever they show a shot of San Francisco, it's clear skies and beautiful.

Surprise, Lisa's mother definitely has breast cancer. We'll never hear of this again. Not even in the same conversation.

I always find it strange, usually in horror movies, when a couple is introduced and they immediately start messing around. We see it's in Johnny's house, so he's ok with free love in his house, but isn't that bit rude? Go into a buddy's house and eat chocolate off of each other? Also, I can't help but notice that the dude with frosted tips and over-the-top facial expressions ate the chocolate off the girl and slobbered all over her. Gross.

Lisa's mom has a point, people come and go as they please in Johnny's house without knocking. Denny even came over to borrow a bunch of cooking supplies. Now, when I went out to San Francisco, I stayed within walking distance of the Palace of Fine Arts, so I know there was a bodega nearby that carried plenty of standard groceries including butter, milk and sugar. So, it's just an excuse to go to someone's house, right?

Although, I have to say, one time in my life, a neighbor has come over asking for some milk. I let him use mine, and he came back with cookies, so it worked out well, but it was one of those usual experiences you wouldn't think happen anymore after 1960.

So Denny is in debt with a drug dealer, and owes him some money. The drug dealer's name is Chris-R? Also, according to wikipedia, the guy that played Chris-R was on the Armenian Olympic bobsled team. What a bizarre turn of events. I can't even imagine how that came to pass.

And Johnny and Mark take hold of Chris-R and bring him from the roof of the building down to the police and back in the span of a short conversation? The magic of teleportation in bad movies, ho!

So on the "roof", they have a bad green screen background and that little metal shack that represents the roof entrance? That's hilarious. I didn't notice how flimsy it was until Johnny came out shouting about not hitting her and then saying "Oh hi, Mark." Is that scene the pinnacle of bad acting?

So, Mark tells Johnny about a woman getting beaten by her boyfriend and getting put into a hospital, and Johnny just laughs it off? What planet is he living on? Did he even hear Mark, or is he one of those friends that just say "haha, yeah" to anything someone says? I know people like that.

So Denny admits that he's in love with Lisa to Johnny, and Johnny says don't worry about it and doesn't think of Denny as a weird dude. Was Denny weird, or does he have a mental condition? I think I remember Tommy Wiseau saying that Denny was "slow" but I don't know where that came out.

So Johnny makes enough money to pay for Denny's tuition into some school, but him not getting a promotion is a major catastrophe? I know that San Francisco is expensive, but still, I think Johnny would be fine no matter what.

Johnny really flips out here, and Lisa is a little justified asking why he's so hysterical. I mean yes, she is telling people that he hit her, which is horrible, but he was just upstairs telling Mark and Denny how crazy he was about her. Two minutes later, she's tearing him apart and she needs to stop lying to him. Who told him that she was telling people he hit her? Did I miss that?

So, also according to the internet, Greg Sestero (Mark) is 39 years old now, so he's 24 during this film. Being the best friend of a 47 year old? Well, I've seen stranger.

And then there are his other friends. Is Johnny supposed to be younger? Juliette Danielle (Lisa) was 22 years old during The Room, so there's quite a discrepancy there. How did they find each other? I wish we knew.

So, Johnny already knows that Lisa doesn't love him anymore, and that Lisa is spreading rumors that he's hitting her, but he still needs to set a tape recorder (answering machine) to record what's happening. And then, we get a new character, with Peter, who I think is supposed to replace someone from earlier and ended up taking over their lines. Was it Mike, the one who was "injured" by the football bump, and this new psychologist was written in to use as a sounding board for Johnny?

Has Johnny ever seen a chicken before? Cheep cheep cheeepepepepee?

af7eaf8cea18d6f1f688c4ff6fe816c5.jpg

Johnny couldn't cash a $2,000 check because it was from an out-of-state bank? That's not a real thing. If I got a check from some blah blah bank in Virginia, I could cash it at a bank in Alabama.

Back