SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 127 - Hereditary

but I don't know that doing so is what the film's about or what they were trying to do with it. Does that make sense?

You're looking for some sort of indication that this "sin-theme" was what the filmmakers had in mind when making the film?

One piece of corroborating evidence that I forgot to mention. Remember that the son spews out an apple as he's dying? This seemed to me to be a reference to the Garden of Eden story, which's meaning (at least in Puritan Christian teachings) is that mankind has experienced a fall from grace and is therefore inherently sinful. So the kid is spewing out his inherent sin as symbolized by the red apple as he's dying. To me, this seems to me to be a sort of "clue" that is supposed to guide you towards this mindset.

Or at least I can't think of any other reason as to why he would spew out an apple. Please don't tell me that this is some sort of weird cultural thing New Englanders do when they're dying, ok!? That'd seriously freak me out.

Assuming that it does and that you know what I'm asking, what from within the film leads you to believe that the religious shit was more than just "window dressing" and that we were supposed to understand the film as and walk away from it with a critique of Puritanism/religious dogmatism?

Well, this film does discuss religious dogmas more in-depth than your usual religious-themed horror movie. The concept of original sin is invoked at several times in the narrative and is used as an implication of horror for the characters. They are clearly distressed that their own teachings tell them that they are going to hell when they die, for what is essentially very slight things (baptism, etc). It seems like a whole lot of content for just being window dressing. Why invoke a concept like original sin so repeatedly when it is a rather abstract concept?

It's not just that the characters are menaced by religious monsters (like Paimon in Heredity, that is what I would call window dressing, a convenient monster out of religious lore), it is that they are menaced by the very ideas and dogmas that make up their religion (original sin, the impurity of others, going to hell for not receiving the proper ritual, etc). Hell the paranoia this causes torments them just as much as the actual supernatural baddies do. It turns them against each other, destroying their little community.

Wouldn't this mean that the witches were forces of good, that they weren't "evil" at all? But that wouldn't make sense, because they're killing/eating babies and shit. Where does that leave us with the concepts of "good" and "evil" - or, more specifically, where does the film want to leave us with those concepts?

Oh, no of course not!

My idea was more that these beliefs and mindsets inevitable lead to a collapse. It's more about puritanism leading onto evil because they view the world and humanity as fundamentally evil which just isn't sustainable. Just because the witches and the devil and such oppose the humans, doesn't make them good in response.

Also, witches and the ever-presence of the devil is also very much a part of the Puritan's worldview (every Puritan has a farm animal who is secretly the devil).

At least, that's according to the film. For example, why was the baby snatched when it was with her? Why was that egg all fucked up when she touched it? Why did she milk blood from the goat? It seemed like the film was trying to indicate that she had evil in her.

I don't remember the egg scene at all.

However, I saw those things more as red-herrings to "set-up" Tomasin. Make the audience and the family suspect her. Much of the runtime of this movie, after all, centers on the suspicion directed at Tomasin.

Remember, this is a movie where the family's GOAT literally is the devil... unlike our GOAT which is Fedor. The freaky occurrences in the film are better explained by his presence (along with his witch cheerleaders) rather than any nefarious influence on Tomasin's part. The baby-snatching... well, what is she going to do against witchcraft? It's not like Tomasin could have prevented that. The milking blood thing... again, better explained by the presence of the devil than her doing (and I suspect the egg-scene to be too). All we see of Tomasin's actual interaction with her family shows her to be a caring, loving person (the witch-prank on the twins non-withstanding). She's playing with the toddler when it gets snatched, after all.

However, despite her great affection, she's still signaled out as the source of evil within the family. This seems to me to be more an indication of their paranoia and world-view, puritans always being extremely hung-up on girls maturing into sexual beings, and all that. Right when Satan is sleeping in their own barn.

giphy.gif

Lies is the only reason why anyone would ever dislike The Exorcist.:cool:

I'm a stickler, though, so it's a big deal to me whether she intended (and ensured somehow?) the seance to summon Paimon and the Charlie shit was a lie (but then how did and what's the significance that Charlie "got in" Annie?) or whether she intended the seance to summon Charlie and her ending up "in" Annie was some sort of glitch (how/what's the significance of that?) or whether she intended the seance to summon Charlie and Paimon was either already "there" (where is "there" and how/when did he get there?) or had nothing to do with anything in that scene.
For starters, it seems obvious (to me at least) that the first seance was a set up to get Annie to perform the summoning ritual, at home, with Peter present (Joan specifically told her the family must be there). Did Joan summon her kid in that first seance, or did she summon Paimon and act like it was her kid moving the glass? I don't know for certain, but the latter seems more likely given what was revealed about her.

Second, who is Charlie? She was possessed by Paimon very early in life. Was Charlie talking through Annie during that scene, or was it Paimon speaking in the voice he's always used?

Finally, we do know they wanted to summon Paimon. The cult existed for that purpose, so it's probable that convincing Annie she could bring back Charlie was a ruse to further that end.

The whole thing is convoluted because we don't know how that possession thing works, really. Maybe they share a body, maybe the possessed soul goes off into the ether, who the hell knows? I will say I think the ambiguity is as annoying as you do, and it supports your position that a film maker needs to provide enough answers to make a cohesive film.

Europe coming in hot her with his defense of The Witch, I agree with everything you're saying

I wound up figuring i missed all the discussion on this one so just watched next weeks movie. Probably a big mistake. Nonsense movie next week boys.

The Serious Movie Discussion thread is gone?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to post about A Star is Born and I see no thread anywhere.

What happened to sherdog while I've been gone?

940639.jpg

Well cool to see you again around these parts!:D

The SMD still exists, it just isn't stickied any longer. Now the SMC is the top dog in town! We got the throne after Bullitt68s film opinions leaked to the site admins! I knew his hatred of Chinatown would come back to bite him in the ass someday!

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/serious-movie-discussion.3679477/page-30

That better be A Star is Born with Garland and Mason from 1954 though!:p

Last edited:

long time no see, you missed the tragic de-stickying of the SMD

ps. did you ever watch Embrace of the Serpent while you were away:D

Sometimes when these ambiguities or plot holes happen its by design, sometimes when they happen its from poor writing and directing. For example, being that you are a person who can't seem to stomach guesswork, how does this make you feel Mr. Bullitt?

stanley-kubric-film-fan-13.jpg

I believe The Shining is a tremendous work of horror but it is confusing and contains plot holes that are never resolved.

I think the first issue to settle here is how we're using the term "plot hole." As I understand it, a plot hole is a legit problem for which there are no discernible solutions. Ambiguity is one thing; it speaks to the presence of potential solutions in the absence of explicit confirmation/certainty. A plot hole is something else.

In the case of The Shining, I don't think that there are any actual plot holes. There's just a ton of fucked up shit that Kubrick sprinkles throughout without providing detailed explanations. At one point, Jack gets told straight to his face in no uncertain terms that he's "always been the caretaker." Explaining that picture in any kind of detail might be a challenging task, but is that really a plot hole?

When Danny goes all Redrum he has a bruise on his neck. Was this caused by his psychotic father or was it caused by the old hag in Room 237?

It's never been a question for me that it was the old hag, but either way, once again, is this intentional ambiguity or a plot hole that unravels the narrative being spun?

To be honest, I actually think complaints about plot holes in Eyes Wide Shut would have more merit, but even there, Kubrick allows himself the flexibility afforded by dream logic, so, no matter how crazy shit gets, it can always be "explained" at least to some degree with reference to dreams.

You're looking for some sort of indication that this "sin-theme" was what the filmmakers had in mind when making the film?

Jake-Gyllenhaal-Yes-Please.gif

One piece of corroborating evidence that I forgot to mention. Remember that the son spews out an apple as he's dying? This seemed to me to be a reference to the Garden of Eden story, which's meaning (at least in Puritan Christian teachings) is that mankind has experienced a fall from grace and is therefore inherently sinful. So the kid is spewing out his inherent sin as symbolized by the red apple as he's dying. To me, this seems to me to be a sort of "clue" that is supposed to guide you towards this mindset.

Or at least I can't think of any other reason as to why he would spew out an apple. Please don't tell me that this is some sort of weird cultural thing New Englanders do when they're dying, ok!? That'd seriously freak me out.

As far as I know, that's not something that New Englanders do. When I was watching it, though, I just assumed that it was a callback to his lie to his mom about thinking he saw an apple. That's not to say that that automatically invalidates this thematic reading. I may just be failing for whatever reason to take that step from explicit narrative to implicit thematics. But there does seem to be a "non-thematic" narrative explanation for that apple.

Well, this film does discuss religious dogmas more in-depth than your usual religious-themed horror movie. The concept of original sin is invoked at several times in the narrative and is used as an implication of horror for the characters. They are clearly distressed that their own teachings tell them that they are going to hell when they die, for what is essentially very slight things (baptism, etc). It seems like a whole lot of content for just being window dressing. Why invoke a concept like original sin so repeatedly when it is a rather abstract concept?

It's not just that the characters are menaced by religious monsters (like Paimon in Heredity, that is what I would call window dressing, a convenient monster out of religious lore), it is that they are menaced by the very ideas and dogmas that make up their religion (original sin, the impurity of others, going to hell for not receiving the proper ritual, etc). Hell the paranoia this causes torments them just as much as the actual supernatural baddies do. It turns them against each other, destroying their little community.

giphy.gif

I think I'm seeing a sliver of the light...

Oh, no of course not!

My idea was more that these beliefs and mindsets inevitable lead to a collapse. It's more about puritanism leading onto evil because they view the world and humanity as fundamentally evil which just isn't sustainable. Just because the witches and the devil and such oppose the humans, doesn't make them good in response.

Hmm. Maybe my problem is that I'm hung up on the title. You'd think that if all of this Puritanism/religion/dogma shit was the main point of the film that the title would've been something like Sin or Damnation, no? In the movie called Psycho, it's about a psycho; in Rosemary's Baby, Rosemary's baby figures quite prominently; in Halloween, the key holiday isn't Martin Luther King day; etc. In a movie called The Witch, you'd have me believe that it's not even about a witch? That's one of the main things that bugged me. You barely even see any; it's not really even clear (at least it wasn't to me) if there are any witches, or, if there are, if there's just one or multiple; and, at the end of the day, the movie ends up really being about a stupid religious family and a goat that's either demonic or literally the Devil.

It just seemed too confused and ended up being too confusing for me to accept it as the type of coherent, premeditated, and well-executed critique that you're arguing it is. Adding to my skepticism...

I don't remember the egg scene at all.

However, I saw those things more as red-herrings to "set-up" Tomasin. Make the audience and the family suspect her.

...is shit like this. Red herrings are fine, but they've got to be internally motivated and intelligible from within the narrative context. If there isn't a diegetic source, then it's bullshit and just adds to the general confusedness/confusion.

So, in sum, while you've helped me to appreciate the movie more, I'm still on the fence as to whether to credit the filmmakers for their filmmaking or you for your analysis :D

Lies is the only reason why anyone would ever dislike The Exorcist.:cool:

The most overrated horror movie ever made and one of the most overrated movies in general.

giphy.gif

For starters, it seems obvious (to me at least) that the first seance was a set up to get Annie to perform the summoning ritual, at home, with Peter present (Joan specifically told her the family must be there). Did Joan summon her kid in that first seance, or did she summon Paimon and act like it was her kid moving the glass? I don't know for certain, but the latter seems more likely given what was revealed about her.

a9TpuJR.gif

I never considered that. That'd definitely cast the shit that went down after that in a different light. I still would've preferred that being made explicit, or at least revealed/discovered later, but I like this reading better regardless.

Second, who is Charlie? She was possessed by Paimon very early in life. Was Charlie talking through Annie during that scene, or was it Paimon speaking in the voice he's always used?

This is also interesting, but, even more so than the above, I would've liked this to have been made explicit.

I will say I think the ambiguity is as annoying as you do, and it supports your position that a film maker needs to provide enough answers to make a cohesive film.

tumblr_inline_p94z51C98L1rh3k1r_500.gif

The SMD still exists, it just isn't stickied any longer. Now the SMC is the top dog in town! We got the throne after Bullitt68s film opinions leaked to the site admins! I knew his hatred of Chinatown would come back to bite him in the ass someday!

europe's lying. He says it was "the site admins" but it's really part of his and @jei's grand conspiracy to create a Shadow Sherdog where somehow Chinatown is a masterpiece but Raging Bull isn't. They'll be coming for @Dragonlordxxxxx next and he doesn't even know it.

I've already said too much...

4c84433fb5c73b776d92cbb0fdc3dc1d.gif

I think the first issue to settle here is how we're using the term "plot hole." As I understand it, a plot hole is a legit problem for which there are no discernible solutions. Ambiguity is one thing; it speaks to the presence of potential solutions in the absence of explicit confirmation/certainty. A plot hole is something else.

In the case of The Shining, I don't think that there are any actual plot holes. There's just a ton of fucked up shit that Kubrick sprinkles throughout without providing detailed explanations. At one point, Jack gets told straight to his face in no uncertain terms that he's "always been the caretaker." Explaining that picture in any kind of detail might be a challenging task, but is that really a plot hole?

It's never been a question for me that it was the old hag, but either way, once again, is this intentional ambiguity or a plot hole that unravels the narrative being spun?

To be honest, I actually think complaints about plot holes in Eyes Wide Shut would have more merit, but even there, Kubrick allows himself the flexibility afforded by dream logic, so, no matter how crazy shit gets, it can always be "explained" at least to some degree with reference to dreams.

I brought it up and gave examples because I'm trying to figure out what you consider a plot hole, A.K.A. poor writing and/or directing, and what you just consider ambiguous story telling, and then finally, if ambiguous story telling rubs you the wrong way. It doesn't seem to bother you in the case of The Shining and there is a ton of ambiguity beyond just Jack Torrance being the Caretaker past, present, and future. With Hereditary are you saying that the film has plot holes or that its ambiguous in a way that goes too far? Birdman is a good example of a film we watched that is filled with confusing details and fill in the blanks.

I feel compelled to admit that True Blood was a guilty pleasure of mine. First couple of seasons, at least, and one or two of the others.

I watched every last episode.

th

I brought it up and gave examples because I'm trying to figure out what you consider a plot hole, A.K.A. poor writing and/or directing, and what you just consider ambiguous story telling, and then finally, if ambiguous story telling rubs you the wrong way.

Gotcha. So then here are the keys for me: Ambiguity is intentional whereas a plot hole is accidental. You can cultivate ambiguity; a plot hole is a mistake. So ambiguity is always, by definition, better than and preferable to a plot hole. However, even on the ambiguity side of the scale, there's still good ambiguity (like my example of Inception) and bad ambiguity (like my example of The Blair Witch Project). Though ambiguity is preferable to plot holes, good ambiguity is preferable to bad ambiguity.

So far, so good?

It doesn't seem to bother you in the case of The Shining

Correct. And that's because The Shining is not only ambiguous - i.e., the plot points are purposefully orchestrated - it's the good kind of ambiguous, the kind where you have enough of the pieces and can see enough of the board to where the general shape is discernible yet the fact that you don't have all the pieces and can't see the full shape doesn't detract from the experience but enhances the eeriness.

With Hereditary are you saying that the film has plot holes or that its ambiguous in a way that goes too far?

Both. The parts that are ambiguous - e.g., the part that @sickc0d3r brought to my attention about whether Joan was summoning her kid or Paimon as well as the shit that @europe1 and I were discussing about the evident pointlessness of the miniature emphasis, etc. - are the bad kind of ambiguous plus there seem to be actual plot holes - e.g., the stuff that you were bringing up about the Queen and the specifics about her death as well as who was possessed by whom when, etc.

I watched every last episode.

giphy.gif

However, even on the ambiguity side of the scale, there's still good ambiguity (like my example of Inception)

Correct. And that's because The Shining is not only ambiguous - i.e., the plot points are purposefully orchestrated -

Inception is an excellent film. With all this talk of Inception and The Shining all we need now is a remake of The Shining where Leo plays the part of Jack Torrance.

giphy.gif

Inception is an excellent film. With all this talk of Inception and The Shining all we need now is a remake of The Shining where Leo plays the part of Jack Torrance.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This movie is way too long. It took a full hour (and a couple minutes) to get to anything beyond a tragic moment and some creepy dolls.

Real quick before I go further, I'd like to echo @Bullitt68's thoughts about The Witch - I hated it. It was boring and dragged and the ending was not worth sticking around to watch. The only positive I could pull about it is that we're going to see that actress as Magik in The New Mutants next year. She wasn't the best character in the film, the dad was, but I've wanted to see Magik on screen for a while now so I'm ok it's that girl.

But, back to Hereditary. In a full hour, in horror movie time, that's about the time in those movies that the killer finally goes after the final girl to start the big chase, or the spiritual person the hero seeks out steps into the house/location to purge the demon, or we get the fake climax of a big chase where a supporting character we have grown to like gets taken out but the hero survives. But with Hereditary, we still have ANOTHER HOUR to go. It didn't really try to create tension as much as it said to the audience in the silence "you should be getting uncomfortable now." It was family drama and a mother unsuccessfully coping with the natural beauty of loss, which gives me the obvious "slow burn" that people love in thrillers. Thing is, like comedy movies, I don't think horror films should be two hours long plus, with very few exceptions. You can probably think of all the good horror flicks that last longer than two hours right now. Yeah, you get it, The Shining, Silence of the Lambs, Rosemary's Baby, It, Bone Tomahawk, I Saw the Devil, and SMC's own Thirst...that's about it.

So at 90 minutes in, all we have are a couple of seances first led by Aunt Lydia. This is about the time of the horror film where the villain gets hurt badly and maybe killed but surprise they're going to jump up again in a minute or two after some "whew, we made it" moments. But in this picture, it's starting to escalate as she sets herself on fire when burning the journal (or the journal is an extension of her...). And then it goes off the rails. We see flies buzzing everywhere, a slamming good time, naked dead people and some not dead naked people, a man on fire, and then mom cuts her own head off? What the hell?

The scene where the kid smashed his face on the desk brought me back to a student film I was a part of where I played the antagonistic bully of a kid with an unusual living situation. One scene in particular, the kid had his revenge on me, the bully, by slamming my head into a school desk a few times. We made it look great, but then on the final take I accidentally didn't pull up in time for a stage hit and *actually* hit the desk once and gave myself a bloody nose. It looked great on camera, but after we cut everyone freaked out. I laughed it off but still, talk about memories I haven't thought of in 15 years.

I also had a lot against how vague this movie left it. It's one thing to leave some parts of the film up to interpretation, it's another to just leave things because they don't feel like explaining why. Even if the answer is just "well obviously this is the reason" like Jason getting resurrected from lightning or androids being evil in just about every Alien movie or that there was a 3D Jaws...it's so much better than "The End...?" It's just a huge letdown after everything they tried to build the whole time. In two bloody hours, they should at least be able to concoct an ending beyond "oh hey he's the demon now". I fully get that the demon is transferring vessels from one to the next, starting with the daughter, moving to the mother, and then floating down into the kid. I get that part. Even so, I can't help but feel like I missed something, but I didn't, which makes this all frustrating to me.

The other major issue I have with this movie is that the whole deal with the miniatures does not go anywhere. At all. It's just "oh yeah they're a thing, shut up." We don't find someone trapped inside of a small house, we don't find that they're a microcosm of something much larger, we don't even find out that they cause anything to happen. It's a completely pointless subplot that doesn't actually move. Sure, she was dealing with her own grief by recreating these things in her life from an outside perspective, outside looking in and all that, but that's not enough to merit that much bloody screen time. If the movie had opened with mom making the tiny treehouse, then maybe it could have brought it all back around, but nope. Just an exhaustingly long red herring.

On another note, I watched Chinatown earlier this year and it didn't hold it for me this time around. I still liked it, but it lost a lot of its luster. And Raging Bull is still no bueno to me, and I'll take that to my grave. I can appreciate it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it and what it did. I have always found films where I don't like or care what happens to any character to be rough watches for me - see also films in the club's history like Closer, Spring Breakers, and so on.

I wouldn't go so far as to give this a 5/10 which is a failing grade for me, but maybe 5.5 is about right. 6 is too generous for this mess.

Didn’t even notice you guys had done this movie. Looking forward to reading through as I thought it was quite impressive. Easily one of the most unsettling/disturbing films I’ve seen in years.

Back