SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: WEEK 119: The Pope Of Greenwich Village

What do you think about the Mean Streets connection with the ending? There's no real payoff, nothing really comes to a head, and there's no real resolution at the end of Mean Streets, either. Or is there?

I haven’t actually seen the movie in years, but I do remember thinking the ending was a tad lackluster. DeNiro gets shot and is bleeding out in the street, so I always assumed he eventually died. Keitel has now stirred the pot among the gangsters for even associating with DeNiro, so it’s left up in the air if more bad things are coming his way. If anything, DeNiro being dead was the best thing to happen for him.

Off the top of my head, my favorite is from Roger Corman's Day the World Ended.

I've got the scene cued up. It's even better in the proper context. I saw this movie at the fifth Sci-Fi Spectacular! at The Music Box in Chicago. On the big screen, in a packed house of movie geeks, the place fucking erupted in laughter at that drop off the cliff :eek::D

Oh yeah, the way she ragdolls with the gloomy music was great.

That’s the best when a theater full of people laugh during what’s supposed to be a sincere moment. I experienced it with the first Saw movie when Cary Elwes delivers this one horrible line towards the end of the movie. What’s funnier is that the line was edited out on the DVD. Word must have gotten out.

And I just thought of another great dummy fall. It’s the one in the first few seconds of the video. You don’t have to watch all of it, but only do so if you’re man enough.

sorry to be late to the show. Been swamped with work and didn’t like the flick that much, so just haven’t made it on here.

The only thing more annoying than Paulie was his physical appearance. Ugh that hair. Not sure why Charlie took so much shit off of him.

My favourite quote was when Darryl Hannah was in bra and knickers trying on clothes towards the start of the movie and she said something about shitty jobs. Made me laugh coz I wouldn’t be surprised if she was thinking it also applied to her job as an actress in this film. Nothing like having to be mostly naked in almost every scene you are in for no plot related reason whatsoever.

That’s all I’ve got.

Not sure why Charlie took so much shit off of him.

Well, exactly what I've been pointing out, the two of them are closer to a married couple than 3rd cousins. Charlie was actually feeding Paulie in bed after he got his thumb chopped off. I mean actually laying in bed, spoon feeding him. Seriously, wtf.

My favourite quote was when Darryl Hannah was in bra and knickers trying on clothes towards the start of the movie and she said something about shitty jobs. Made me laugh coz I wouldn’t be surprised if she was thinking it also applied to her job as an actress in this film.

I thought she was more than adequate considering she was a secondary cast member to Rourke and Roberts and as you said, she was there to do aerobics and take her clothes off. As @europe1 already pointed out, the scene where she slaps the shit out of Charlie multiple times is one of the best scenes in the movie and she sold it well.

960full-the-pope-of-greenwich-village-screenshot.jpg

My favourite quote was when Darryl Hannah was in bra and knickers trying on clothes towards the start of the movie and she said something about shitty jobs. Made me laugh coz I wouldn’t be surprised if she was thinking it also applied to her job as an actress in this film. Nothing like having to be mostly naked in almost every scene you are in for no plot related reason whatsoever.
This is an interesting point. Her presence in the whole film is basically sex appeal. Every scene she's either doing something scantily clad, changing her clothes, or dancing around in about half an outfit. To me she was the weakest character, I don't know if she was supposed to be the moral center of the film (trying to get Mickey Rourke to come around, who would in turn bring Eric Roberts back) but she just did nothing for me. The slap scene was her best work but it's all relative, as it didn't accomplish anything.

If anything, this was a love story between Rourke and Roberts more than Rourke and Hannah.

First question - what is it with 80s movies (and music videos) showing a guy zipping up his fly when getting ready for the day? I swear, I see that all the time in them, and I don't know why, unless it's an implied sexual thing that is lost on me.

I was more disturbed by Way of the Dragon where Chuck Norris dick literally bumped into the camera when he came off the airport.

Who plays baseball/stickball in a suit? Apparently that entire group of guys, I guess.

Clearly Micky Rourke and Eric Roberts were merely humble heralds for the true master.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4245-1388161148-5.gif

seemed to know it was better to walk away since he's not going to change for her.

Technically, wasn't it she who walked away on him? With the phone-call recording and the whole going berserk in his living room and all.

This film definitely carries on the trend we've had lately of morally ambiguous/criminal protagonists, with Over the Edge and Convoy, and now this. Can we root for anyone? Should we?

Such questions always seem foreign to me. Isn't it just important that the protagonist are interesting/engaging? Why should we have to root for them?

It kind of came out of nowhere, but it was just great. It was one of those foreshadowing "goodbye" scenes where we can tell this is a character's last moments. "I'm so close to retirement..." DEAD.

Yeah, you could easily cut it out of the movie. It's not vital to the plot at all. Just there so to let the actress have one great scene in the spotlight.

That workout scene reminded a lot of us of Aerobicide, and I'm happy we picked up on it. I agree, it's easily the best aerobics movie, I'm surprised someone hasn't posted that famous gif from it. You know the one.

Yeah! Deadly Prey's David Ager kicking some more ass!!! (that was what you were thinking about, right?:D)

aerobicide%2Bgay.gif

Those were some real slaps to. She was slapping the shit out of him, that or its one of the best fake slap scenes I've ever seen.

Rita Hayworth and Angie Dickenson could have KO'd her in round 1!

giphy.gif

Not sure why Charlie took so much shit off of him.

He clearly loves him more than he loves Darryl Hannah. Notice how sarcastic he can be with Darryl. When she cries before him, he smiles sardonically. When Paulie cries in front of him, he cries right back. That says everything about his character. He can handle Darryl coldly, but Paulie he just loves too much. There is an emotional connection between the guys in this film that Charlie doesn't have with his girl.

Made me laugh coz I wouldn’t be surprised if she was thinking it also applied to her job as an actress in this film

True method acting:cool:

This is an interesting point. Her presence in the whole film is basically sex appeal.

Well now, if your star actress is introduced in a sexually suggestive situation (the stretching), there's basically a 90% chance that she's there for the sex-appeal.

To me she was the weakest character, I don't know if she was supposed to be the moral center of the film (trying to get Mickey Rourke to come around, who would in turn bring Eric Roberts back)

I think that she was basically there just to illuminate a critical quirk of Rourke's character. He doesn't want to change. He loves her -- but he loves his old life even more than her. He's fully willing to sacrifice his love and his child with her for Paulie's sake, and being the pope of Greenwich Village.

The longer this discussion goes on the more it seems like this movie is just a love-affair between dudes.

I was more disturbed by Way of the Dragon where Chuck Norris dick literally bumped into the camera when he came off the airport.
what you have there is an artful representation of ultimate manhood. I can almost smell the hard earned sweat on their bodies... licking it off and imbibing their manly juices whilst I softly caress their rock hard and sore muscles... playing with their toes and stuff

what you have there is an artful representation of ultimate manhood. I can almost smell the hard earned sweat on their bodies... licking it off and imbibing their manly juices whilst I softly caress their rock hard and sore muscles... playing with their toes and stuff

How that guy didn't get a pink belt for that post I'll never know.

Rita Hayworth and Angie Dickenson could have KO'd her in round 1!

He clearly loves him more than he loves Darryl Hannah. Notice how sarcastic he can be with Darryl. When she cries before him, he smiles sardonically. When Paulie cries in front of him, he cries right back. That says everything about his character. He can handle Darryl coldly, but Paulie he just loves too much. There is an emotional connection between the guys in this film that Charlie doesn't have with his girl.

I think that she was basically there just to illuminate a critical quirk of Rourke's character. He doesn't want to change. He loves her -- but he loves his old life even more than her. He's fully willing to sacrifice his love and his child with her for Paulie's sake, and being the pope of Greenwich Village.

The longer this discussion goes on the more it seems like this movie is just a love-affair between dudes.

LOL, Angie Dickenson was laying down an ass whoopin but I cracked up when she gassed out and then he just straightens his jacket and grabs the T.V. remote.

And yes, I told you Charlie and Paulie are a married couple. I would pay good money to see The Pope of Greenwich Village 2: The Prison Years where we can examine how Charlie protects Paulie in prison.

LOL, Angie Dickenson was laying down an ass whoopin

Lee Marvin would talk about how fucking much that hurt and all the bruises he got. He and Angie Dickenson straight-out hated each other on the set. She probably ventilated a lot of emotions during that scene.:D

but I cracked up when she gassed out and then he just straightens his jacket and grabs the T.V. remote.

Shades of AJ vs DC 1, Joe!

And yes, I told you Charlie and Paulie are a married couple. I would pay good money to see The Pope of Greenwich Village 2: The Prison Years where we can examine how Charlie protects Paulie in prison.

Genuine lol.

Last edited:
This movie was reasonably good for an older film, I don't usually watch older movies, but they have some of the classics from this period. It was quite a fun movie though, I say 6/10

This movie was reasonably good for an older film
It came out in 1984 and it's considered "older"? Good lord. I don't know if 80s movies have fallen into the "classics" category yet, either. If you don't normally watch movies that came out before 1985, you're missing out on a lotttttttttttttttttttttttt.

It came out in 1984 and it's considered "older"? Good lord. I don't know if 80s movies have fallen into the "classics" category yet, either. If you don't normally watch movies that came out before 1985, you're missing out on a lotttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Get with the times, grampa jeicex.

80's: Old
70's: Classic
60's: Ancient
50's: Silent-Movie
40's: Eldritch
30's: Antediluvian
20's: ???

I have seen most of the classic movies in the 1970s and 80s, but maybe I am just too used to watching current movies in the cinema now :D but the movie club is a great way to get to know some of the non-older/older movies!

Back