SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: WEEK 114: Coherence

th

Two can play at this game, baby.

tomlin-celebrates.gif

I'll warn you now, if you bring in Back to the Future I'll ruin that movie for you. It is one of those films that is conspiracy laden and crazy. Maybe not ruin but you will never view it in the same way again.

Are you referring to all the 9/11 stuff?

Are you referring to all the 9/11 stuff?

Huge amounts of 9/11 stuff as well as other things. Its weird how some movies are packed with that sort of thing. Not that its true but the coincidences are nuts.

Wait, Back to the Future (1985) 9/11 stuff?

Nvm, I don’t want to know. Do I? No. But really, do I?
All I can think of are:
Lybians,, twin pines, and Bin Laden was wearing Calvin klein underwear when they killed him.

Wait, Back to the Future (1985) 9/11 stuff?

Nvm, I don’t want to know. Do I? No. But really, do I?
All I can think of are:
Lybians,, twin pines, and Bin Laden was wearing Calvin klein underwear when they killed him.

giphy.gif

Woah .... there is a lot of bro science going on in this thread....

Great movie by the way..

My take is pretty much this

7IEG.gif

they all have drugs and get fucking wrecked to shit ... thats it .. the whole movie is a metphor on drugs are good... or bad ..

Last edited:
Woah .... there is a lot of bro science going on in this thread....

Great movie by the way..

My take is pretty much this

7IEG.gif

they all have drugs and get fucking wrecked to shit ... thats it .. the whole movie is a metphor on drugs are good... or bad ..

Quantum mechanics is like drugs.

I liked this movie a lot. It reminded me of Primer in many ways. Both sub-90 minute low budget, high concept science fiction with very few special effects. In Coherence the only effects were tricks shots to make it look like there was two versions of the same character, and I guess some shots of the comet which may have been archive footage. Both movies did a lot with a little. All movies essentially use resources to manufacture drama, and Primer and Coherence both craft great movies out of almost nothing. Coherence was just a small group of actors, a camera person, two sound people and a director in a house. The reported budget is $50k which is presumably the combined salaries of the cast and crew.

The main differences are subject matter, time travel vs alternate realities, and Coherence being about the interactions between a group of people, whereas Primer only really has lead characters. I'm not prepared to say that Coherence is as smart as Primer. I think the differing way the two films were made is related to this. Primer was as far as I can tell planned out in great detail and executed to perfection by Shane Carruth and a few other people. The process of making Coherence seems as if it was more experimental in nature. I didn't know about the improvisation and the actors having notes with their goals for the day instead of a script before watching, that's fascinating to me. I'd be really curious to read their note cards and otherwise find out what exactly the plan for the film looked like before shooting began. I wonder what filming was like. They just rolled camera and acted out the dinner party while incorporating their goals? I assume they must have had some things they knew they were supposed to say as part of their notes, such as Emily telling the story of the comet from 100 years ago, and tall guy reading from the exposition book. The actor playing Amir was one of the writers and would guide the other actors sometimes apparently, so I want to watch it again and pay attention to him to see how often he says something that moves the plot forward.

edit: one part that I though was hilarious maybe unintentionally so was when Mike says to tall guy something like if there's endless realities I slept with your wife in every one of them. Mike was a good character in general.

Last edited:
Damn, shadow wanted to watch this one forever and it finally comes up when he's not around lol.

It made me think of when she says something earlier about maybe we are the bad versions of ourselves.

Yea it was this entire sequence. It seems in the end the Emily we were following was the dark one because she was eaten up by emotions like envy and anger because her understudy stole all the fame and it was her dark side coming out and trying to take back the life she lost.

Interesting movie, I like all of the theory behind it.. and I also love physics. So all of the explanations above are all happy for me to read. I enjoy it. Cool movie, but a little strange at times. I think 6/10.

This is my first week in the club and my first movie so i hate to be negative but i just did not like this film at all. It started off like a worse version of cloverfield and just got more convoluted and dull.
I'm not going to waste peoples time being negative, this just really was not to my taste, no disrespect to the OP....also i chose this film too before i found out i was ineligable to vote, it sounded good..

Back