SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: WEEK 111: Pan's Labyrinth

He represented nature, I don't think he really had any say in the matter. He was just pissed at her. And the fairies were steering her wrong, so they got what they deserved :)

I hadn't thought of this. I like this. Makes the fairies deaths easier to take.....SO many layers of deception....

I hadn't thought of this. I like this. Makes the fairies deaths easier to take.....SO many layers of deception....
In some Celtic mythology it was popular to believe fairies were fallen angels (which would be consistent with the underworld theme of the movie). Some legends Had faries steal babies from their cradles and replace them with changelings.

The irish Catholic tale of John Connors and the fairies I think has them tricking and then punishing the king for disobeying gods will.

I’m other words, fairies can be mischievous little jerks, so screw the fairies!

Well she chose correctly and got the knife, didn't she? The Faun "gifted her" a second chance, but did he really? He represented nature, I don't think he really had any say in the matter. He was just pissed at her. And the fairies were steering her wrong, so they got what they deserved :) (By the way, was it just me or could even Nate Diaz have leg kicked that Pale Man into bolivian)?

Maybe she also needed to understand the gravity of her choices, so that they really meant something. I think eating the grape was pure defiance of Vidal, who was a glutton that rationed food to his people so they couldn't feed the rebels. She was very hungry because she was sent to bed without dinner after the toad incident ruined her dress, which her mother told her bothered Vidal the most. So, you know, fuck that guy, I'm going to eat from his table.

And yeah, I guess she had to learn humility, too, come to think of it. And sacrifice. The allegory of the immortality rose on top of the thorny mountain thingy told us "Most men are not willing to die to achieve immortality". She was preparing to sacrifice her human form to save her brother in the end.
Maybe she also needed to understand the gravity of her choices, so that they really meant something. I think eating the grape was pure defiance of Vidal, who was a glutton that rationed food to his people so they couldn't feed the rebels. She was very hungry because she was sent to bed without dinner after the toad incident ruined her dress, which her mother told her bothered Vidal the most. So, you know, fuck that guy, I'm going to eat from his table.

Del Toro also said that the temptation of the food was tied into the temptation of the apple in the Garden of Eden. Not only was she starving since she was sent to be before dinner. Keep in mind food was scarce at the time, so chances are she had been living with hunger for a while. She was tempted, much like Eve. She disobeyed, much like Little Red Riding Hood. This scene also resonated of Edmund in the Chronicles of Narnia and his childish greed and glee when eating the Turkish Delight offered to him by the witch. I hadn't thought about her defying Vidal....Her defiance to Vidal, to me, was when she climbed under the tree and got dirty. She made the effort to save the dress, but was up to her knees and elbows in mud, so she knew she would get in trouble....

In some Celtic mythology it was popular to believe fairies were fallen angels (which would be consistent with the underworld theme of the movie). Some legends Had faries steal babies from their cradles and replace them with changelings.

The irish Catholic tale of John Connors and the fairies I think has them tricking and then punishing the king for disobeying gods will.

I’m other words, fairies can be mischievous little jerks, so screw the fairies!

Nice point! We have to be careful how we interpret....these are not Disney fairies!

I, too, would disobey a magic faun and risk my life to eat two fat grapes.

<GSPWoah>

200w.webp

I’m only seeing it read IMG and not actual pictures for both of these.

EDIT: I'm finding out that on my phone the images aren't showing, but on my desktop they do. They must still be working out some kinks with the new forum change.

Do we think this may be coz we are all older?

Perhaps, although I’m usually more inclined to go with the more tragic interpretations of stories because I seem to be more fascinated with it. There’s just something about a sad ending that just sticks with you and gives you more to think about, if done well, of course. So that’s why I’m surprised I didn’t pick up on the fantasy being the girl’s imagination the first time.

You just want to be able to stop crying!

In the words of Alice Cooper, “I never cry.”

Last edited:
Kudos for the creativity of your explanation. Not buying it though because it doesn't jive with her fucking up more than she got right (i.e. both eating and taking too long is two things and picking the right box was one). Had she shown some impeccability then I could see this as a scene that establishes something innate in her that inspires trust in the audience.

Here's another one for you. Her blood was supposedly the blood of an innocent, but she wasn't innocent. She attempted to murder stepdaddy with the drugs. Declining to turn the baby over to a knife-wielding goat-man and getting shot in the back by her intended drugging victim don't absolve her of that.

I didn't get that impression. I don't think she was trying to murder him, she was trying to sedate him, knock him out so he couldn't follow.

I didn't get that impression. I don't think she was trying to murder him, she was trying to sedate him, knock him out so he couldn't follow.

Ok. Either way, it's not compatible with innocence. Neither is keeping a secret like knowing who is helping rebels, or getting the tinkerbells killed by doing something that was emphatically stated to be of lethal consequence.

Back