SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 106: Who's Harry Crumb?

I didn't like this one very much, which is odd considering how much I like most of Mr. Candy's films.

In Crumb I felt the one-liner writing was uninspired and wasn't saved by John's delivery. To me his performance came off a little bit perfunctory, and the plot wasn't anything special to keep my interest without the laughs.

The sight gags were sometimes amusing and sometimes not so much, but basically all of the slapstick comedy, like the back flip in the boss man's office or spinning on the fans in the restaurant, missed the mark.

I'm not averse to this kind of goofy comedy at all, but I think the problem is Candy works best for me when he's playing that lovable loser with a big heart type and has a chance to reel you in and love his character through dialogue (e.g. Summer Rental, Uncle Buck, The Great Outdoors, Planes Trains Autos, etc) .

Like when Del Griffith chokes you up in the scene when he reveals to Neal he knows he's annoying but at least he's the real article, what you see is what you get. Or Summer Rental when he tells his daughter you can't win em all, but one would be nice.

Candy had a unique and special talent for creating a flawed character and making you root for him, and managing to pull off some laugh out loud goofball antics without it feeling out of place. Crumb doesn't really try to do anything but drive hard for the slapstick and as a consequence, at least for me, it doesn't work.

In Crumb I felt the one-liner writing was uninspired and wasn't saved by John's delivery. To me his performance came off a little bit perfunctory, and the plot wasn't anything special to keep my interest without the laughs.

Candy had a unique and special talent for creating a flawed character and making you root for him, and managing to pull off some laugh out loud goofball antics without it feeling out of place. Crumb doesn't really try to do anything but drive hard for the slapstick and as a consequence, at least for me, it doesn't work.

Yeah to me this movie just felt like it was low on effort and low on inspiration. They made a detective movie yet didn't even spoof/reference older detective movies.

Perfunctionary really is the key word to describe it.

I enjoyed this. I like goofball movies, and this one worked for me. The slapstick is funny for the most part such as him wrecking the green Mustang as soon as he pulls it out of the lot, when he crashes the bicycle in the office, and the random over-the-top backflip.

There were two gags where I thought the timing could have been better, and both were basically the same joke. Those being when he breaks through the apartment window in the beginning, and when he breaks through the vent and lands on that guy. I feel the editing could have been trimmed down where instead of cutting back to show us Crumb approaching with wild abandon, it should have been more abrupt with his smashing entrances. There was just too much anticipation with the gag for it to fully work for me. Although, I liked the essence of these jokes.

But besides the slapstick, there were subtle jokes that worked for me as well. I don't know why, but when he asks the old couple, "Hi, how ya doin'?" and they look at him terrified, that was hilarious. I liked how even after Crumb is now president of the nicer office, his secretary at his older, dingy office still shouts messages to him instead of using the phone. Also, how the ransom note had the Friday scratched out and replaced with the Monday letters. When he says his metal plate doesn't hurt and the crowd goes, "Awww." The cherry Coke joke was so stupid, but John Candy's delivery made it work.

The pilot shouting, "What the fuck is that?!" gave me a good fit.

The joke with him having a fish stuck to his hand, and him trying to hide it during a serious conversation almost had to be lifted from Naked Gun. I like Naked Gun's gag better, (and it might be the funniest movie ever made) but I did like how the fish landed on the picture with the fish.

Judging by Who's Harry Crumb? review scores, I'd say this one is underrated. I don't know if it's a great movie, but it's entertaining. For me, that's what counts.

Good movie. I would watch it again.

* I was wondering if that Sabu reference (when Candy comes maskeraded as a Indian ventilation repair man) was about the Wrestler or the movie star. But considering this movie is from 1989 and the Pro Wrestler hadn't made it big yet by that year I think it has to be about the classical Sabu.

220px-Sabu_2008.jpg

I've met wrestler Sabu. He's not a nice guy.

It's a rare occasion that the word philanderer is useful. But when it is, imagine people's confusion when I say philodendron instead.

Oh yeah, that was a good joke too. I also liked the random oranges falling off the tree and onto the desk. There was no need for it in the film only to be a surreal silly thing to add to the scene, but hey, I laughed.

They made a detective movie yet didn't even spoof/reference older detective movies.

Dude? Pink Panther. Hello!?! It's damn near the exact same shtick but without the assistant always launching surprise attacks. This scene is great. Has one of my most favorite quotes ever (i.e. "Not anymore.").

Oh yeah, that was a good joke too. I also liked the random oranges falling off the tree and onto the desk. There was no need for it in the film only to be a surreal silly thing to add to the scene, but hey, I laughed.

Loved the way the lady asked him if the tree was sick. Loved the line about "Believe what you want, but don't believe it here.".

Who's Harry Crumb? is better than Hot To Trot, has prime Annie Potts, Tim Thomerson-who was great in Cherry 2000, and is chalked to the brim with the last remnants of 80's lighthearted comedy.

First off, let's talk about this bitch:

51C7NdFc6dL.jpg

When I saw her, I felt like I knew her but I couldn't place her. So I looked her up, expecting to recognize the name and for it all to come together, but I was like . . . Potts . . . Potts . . . Nah, I don't know no Annie Potts.

And then I realized she was in Designing Women. . .

. . . which I used to watch with my grandmother when I was a kid. So that's gotta be why I recognized her.

Now, with all of that out of the way, I think I needed this movie. My mind has been in a pretty serious place over the past couple of weeks and it was nice to take a break from all of that and just engage in some light and silly entertainment.

John Candy was the fucking man. Absolutely one of the GREATEST comedians of all time, and one of the very greatest--perhaps THE greatest--to come out of his particular era. It's always so much fun to watch him perform. Not only does he bring the laughs, but he also brings a ton of heart to every performance.

The "quality control" scene, which has been mentioned a few times, was a good one. But I think the best scene was easily the footsie scene at the table. That shit legit made me laugh out loud.

Considering the hyper-sensitive era we live in, I have to wonder if the air conditioning scene would actually get through today without 10,000 fucking snowflakes on Twitter crying racism.

hqdefault.jpg

While I did enjoy the movie though, I don't think it's one of Candy's best. It's not a Candy A-lister, like PT&A or Uncle Buck or even Cool Runnings.

It's interesting when you look back at Candy's filmography you see that he really didn't have that many GREAT movies. Instead, his reputation is mainly carved out by a small handful of films and his prime only lasted from about 1987 to 1993. Within that span though, he made a real impact.

So yeah, all in all, I think this is a Candy B-lister, but it's still an amusing movie and I'm glad I watched it. Nice selection @Cubo de Sangre.

I can still remember watching Who's Harry Crumb when it came out in 1989 and thinking Annie Potts was hot but this was before the internet explosion during a time when Annie could be hot. The internet ruined all that with real hot chicks.

Well, she was certainly attractive. I guess "hot" is arguable, but she was a good looking girl.

Perhaps just as importantly, she also has aged pretty damn well. Here she is in 2017. Not bad for 64-years-old.

actor-annie-potts-of-cbss-young-sheldon-poses-for-a-portrait-during-picture-id825317930

I did wonder about the priceless egg. If it was so priceless, it seems like the owner wouldn't have needed to engage in so many shenanigans to get the girl....he must have already had some mullah.

No shit, right?

That part made no sense but of course I just dismissed it, considering the silliness of the movie that that little detail exists within.

The only logical explanation is that it wasn't his personal property but property of the firm.

Regardless, one also has to wonder if someone would keep something so rare and valuable just sitting on their desk.

. . . but I did like how the fish landed on the picture with the fish.

Totally caught me off guard and got a good laugh out of me. Perhaps the moment in the film that most surprised me by its cleverness.

I think I needed this movie. My mind has been in a pretty serious place over the past couple of weeks and it was nice to take a break from all of that and just engage in some light and silly entertainment.

If you wanna double down then watch Real Men. Light-hearted. Silly. And in my opinion a better film. The preview for it is an abomination and shouldn't ever be viewed. :D

Well, she was certainly attractive. I guess "hot" is arguable, but she was a good looking girl.

Perhaps just as importantly, she also has aged pretty damn well. Here she is in 2017. Not bad for 64-years-old.

actor-annie-potts-of-cbss-young-sheldon-poses-for-a-portrait-during-picture-id825317930

She had some weird looks over the years. Remember she was the secretary in Ghostbusters.

th
th

But I think the best scene was easily the footsie scene at the table. That shit legit made me laugh out loud.

Considering the hyper-sensitive era we live in, I have to wonder if the air conditioning scene would actually get through today without 10,000 fucking snowflakes on Twitter crying racism @Cubo de Sangre.

I've actually had that happen to me back in the mid-90's. A friends hot wife took her shoe off under the table and ran it up my leg, repeatedly, as I talked to her husband. Talk about a nightmare. I didn't say anything because that's just too intense and too dangerous. Once that shit kicks off you aren't guaranteed whats about to happen.

Dude? Pink Panther. Hello!?! It's damn near the exact same shtick but without the assistant always launching surprise attacks. This scene is great. Has one of my most favorite quotes ever (i.e. "Not anymore.").

Loved the way the lady asked him if the tree was sick. Loved the line about "Believe what you want, but don't believe it here.".

You've hit me in my weak spot. I can remember growing up and watching these films with my dad. I love the Pink Panther films and even watched the animated Pink Panther as a child. Good shit.

First off, let's talk about this bitch:

51C7NdFc6dL.jpg

When I saw her, I felt like I knew her but I couldn't place her. So I looked her up, expecting to recognize the name and for it all to come together, but I was like . . . Potts . . . Potts . . . Nah, I don't know no Annie Potts.

And then I realized she was in Designing Women. . .

. . . which I used to watch with my grandmother when I was a kid. So that's gotta be why I recognized her.

Now, with all of that out of the way, I think I needed this movie. My mind has been in a pretty serious place over the past couple of weeks and it was nice to take a break from all of that and just engage in some light and silly entertainment.

John Candy was the fucking man. Absolutely one of the GREATEST comedians of all time, and one of the very greatest--perhaps THE greatest--to come out of his particular era. It's always so much fun to watch him perform. Not only does he bring the laughs, but he also brings a ton of heart to every performance.

The "quality control" scene, which has been mentioned a few times, was a good one. But I think the best scene was easily the footsie scene at the table. That shit legit made me laugh out loud.

Considering the hyper-sensitive era we live in, I have to wonder if the air conditioning scene would actually get through today without 10,000 fucking snowflakes on Twitter crying racism.

hqdefault.jpg

While I did enjoy the movie though, I don't think it's one of Candy's best. It's not a Candy A-lister, like PT&A or Uncle Buck or even Cool Runnings.

It's interesting when you look back at Candy's filmography you see that he really didn't have that many GREAT movies. Instead, his reputation is mainly carved out by a small handful of films and his prime only lasted from about 1987 to 1993. Within that span though, he made a real impact.

So yeah, all in all, I think this is a Candy B-lister, but it's still an amusing movie and I'm glad I watched it. Nice selection @Cubo de Sangre.

I was a grown ass beer drinking man by the time Designing Women hit its stride but I do remember the show. Strangely, my parents and my grandparents watched that show which is why I remember it. I always used to think what an odd name for one of the women, Delta Burke. Bitches name was Delta....of course this was before she blew up too bad and actually looked as big as a delta.

th

She had some weird looks over the years. Remember she was the secretary in Ghostbusters.

th
th

Yeah, I found out last night that was her. Pretty surprising.

I always thought the she was hot in Ghostbusters.

I've actually had that happen to me back in the mid-90's. A friends hot wife took her shoe off under the table and ran it up my leg, repeatedly, as I talked to her husband. Talk about a nightmare. I didn't say anything because that's just too intense and too dangerous. Once that shit kicks off you aren't guaranteed whats about to happen.

Damn, that's fucked up!

Not sure how I would've handled that. That hoe ain't loyal.

I was a grown ass beer drinking man by the time Designing Women hit its stride but I do remember the show. Strangely, my parents and my grandparents watched that show which is why I remember it.

My grandmother was into it. I lived with her for a few years as a kid and there are several shows I remember us watching together:

The Golden Girls
Designing Women
Unsolved Mysteries
Matlock
Murder, She Wrote

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I always used to think what an odd name for one of the women, Delta Burke. Bitches name was Delta....of course this was before she blew up too bad and actually looked as big as a delta.

th

Damn, shame to hear she got big. I always thought she was attractive when she was young.

chisholmsDELTA_BURKE656767.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I found out last night that was her. Pretty surprising.

I always thought the she was hot in Ghostbusters.

Damn, that's fucked up!

Not sure how I would've handled that. That hoe ain't loyal.

My grandmother was into it. I lived with her for a few years as a kid and there are several shows I remember us watching together:

The Golden Girls
Designing Women
Unsolved Mysteries
Matlock
Murder, She Wrote

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Damn, shame to hear she got big. I always thought she was attractive when she was young.

chisholmsDELTA_BURKE656767.JPG

Ahhhh!!!, holy shit I totally forgot about Matlock. My grandfather used to watch that show. He also used to watch Hill Street Blues. In fact, the 80's had an obscene number of detective and court room dramas. I don't know what the obsession was with it back then. Besides Matlock and Hill Street Blues, other notable 80's detective court room shows included Moonlighting with Bruce Willis, Cagney and Lacey, L.A. Law, Magnum P.I., Remington Steele, Night Court, Charlie's Angels, Murder, She Wrote, 21 Jump Street, Hart to Hart, Simon and Simon, T.J. Hooker, Riptide, and that isn't even all of them. The 80's television line up was all cops, detectives, and court rooms.

Ahhhh!!!, holy shit I totally forgot about Matlock. My grandfather used to watch that show. He also used to watch Hill Street Blues. In fact, the 80's had an obscene number of detective and court room dramas. I don't know what the obsession was with it back then. Besides Matlock and Hill Street Blues, other notable 80's detective court room shows included Moonlighting with Bruce Willis, Cagney and Lacey, L.A. Law, Magnum P.I., Remington Steele, Night Court, Charlie's Angels, Murder, She Wrote, 21 Jump Street, Hart to Hart, Simon and Simon, T.J. Hooker, Riptide, and that isn't even all of them. The 80's television line up was all cops, detectives, and court rooms.

Yeah, there's one you're missing, another one I just remembered watching with my grandmother:

515%2BI32pSXL.jpg

When I had control of the remote though, my preferred shows were more like:

MacGyver
Knight Rider
Airwolf
Miami Vice
. . . and this son of a bitch:

47015-h301xw400-alf.jpg

Yeah, there's one you're missing, another one I just remembered watching with my grandmother:

515%2BI32pSXL.jpg

When I had control of the remote though, my preferred shows were more like:

MacGyver
Knight Rider
Airwolf
Miami Vice
. . . and this son of a bitch:

47015-h301xw400-alf.jpg

LOL Alf was a weird show. I also liked this from the late 80's early 90's.

th

LOL Alf was a weird show. I also liked this from the late 80's early 90's.

th

I'm kind of surprised Scott Bakula never successfully made the jump from TV to feature films.

I know he did a few movies but he's mostly been a TV guy from beginning to end.

Back