SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 106: Who's Harry Crumb?

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC.

He has a Black Belt in Akido... and the boots to match! He's been so thoroughly trained... he doesn't even have to think! Danger?... Danger is his middle name!

MV5BODU1ZGMzNDktYTc5NS00NTM3LTk3MGEtOWU4MjJiM2Y2YWE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY5ODM1Nzk@._V1_.jpg

Our Director
Paul Flathery

MV5BNTIxZWVlZDgtZDM2Mi00NGJkLWExOGMtZTFiYWU3NzhlMzBjL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI2MDEwNA@@._V1_UY317_CR1,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Paul Flaherty was born on September 19, 1945 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. He is a writer and producer, known for The Tracey Ullman Show (1987), Muppets Tonight (1996) and SCTV Network 90 (1981).

Our Star

MV5BMzQ3MzQzODUxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY5MTkyOA@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Candy was one of Canada's greatest and funniest character actors. His well-known role as the big hearted buffoon earned him classics in Uncle Buck (1989) and Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987). His career has handed him some dry spells but Candy always rebounded.

Film Overview

Premise: Harry Crumb is a bumbling and inept private investigator who is hired to solve the kidnapping of a young heiress which he's not expected to solve because his employer is the mastermind behind the kidnapping.

Budget: ?
Box Office: $10,982,000

Trivia
(courtesy of IMDB)
* Cans of Coca-Cola are seen been drunk as product placements in this movie on at least a couple of occasions, one of them being Diet Coke. The movie was made by Tri-Star Pictures which was a division of Columbia Pictures which was owned by the Coca-Cola company. Around 1985, home video cassettes of Ghostbuders (1984) had been released with an advertisement for Coke on the tapes.

* Director Paul Flaherty and actor John Candy were alumni of the Canadian sketch comedy improv TV troupe SC-TV (Second City TV) whose work is anthologized in SCTV Network 90.

* According to 'Time Out', "John Candy makes the transition from sidekick to stardom" in this movie.

* The ransom in the movie is for $10,000,000. Adjusting for inflation this would be a little over $19,000,000 in 2016.

* Although the film is set in Los Angeles, it was filmed in Vancouver. Palm trees were imported to be used in certain shots to emulate California scenery.

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @chickenluver @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts

Last edited:
So... I thought this was a fairly subpar movie. One of those comedies that just wasn't very funny. But it was never offensively bad or anything. You could follow the story without much cringiness. I liked the 80's style and colour palate.

* Funniest jokes:

Metal plate

"Ahh"

It doesn't hurt.

"Ahhwg!"

"Perfect? I don't know. Look at the size of her head. She must be enormous!"

"You'd think a big guy like that would have a big dingus but look at that *glances at word of the day* Fallacy!"

* I was wondering if that Sabu reference (when Candy comes maskeraded as a Indian ventilation repair man) was about the Wrestler or the movie star. But considering this movie is from 1989 and the Pro Wrestler hadn't made it big yet by that year I think it has to be about the classical Sabu.

220px-Sabu_2008.jpg
vs
Sabu_actor.jpg

Sabu did plenty of b-movies with Maria Montez. So he's on my official "like" list for sure.

448d0bb670ca08b49a644c8d29b8a398--fantasy-films-cobra.jpg

* Tim Thomerson sighting! Fuck Yeah!

2ae9ov.jpg

I spend half this movie trying to figure out a scenario where the film was actually about Jack Deth time-traveling back to 1989 and going undercover in Los Angeles so to try and sniff out some vile trancers! But no, I got nothing.:oops:

* Bonnie Tyler song out of nowhere near the end. Really seems like something they just slapped on so to make the montage work.

* Wait... so that guy from Ferris Bueller's Day Off is with the main villainess. She says, "Blackmailing me for sexual favors? Well... let me just get prepared." And then when she goes to prepare herself he... puts on the TV? WTF? Is pre-coital movie watching really a think in the USA?

Also I checked up that movie that he put on. That scene was made for this movie. It's not some old film they're watching. To bad... it honestly seemed better than this movie.:D

Saw this one in the theater and have had a soft spot for it since. Over the last three decades I've been using a few quotes from the movie in real life when I can. It's a rare occasion that the word philanderer is useful. But when it is, imagine people's confusion when I say philodendron instead. Nobody ever catches the reference. Sometimes when people ask me how something is spelled and I don't know I tell them to try it with a D. Sometimes even when there is no D in the word. People never catch the reference. Most common though is the opportunity to bust this out. I consider it one quote even though there's a cut in the middle. First I give 'em the

giphy.webp

Then I hit 'em with the

giphy.webp

I've wanted this in .gif for years but wasn't able to find one. This week inspired me to finally make my own.

barris.png

Ps. I love how they subtitled it to match the subtitles for the other guy who was actually speaking non-English. :D

I can't say that I am a fan of them but I've watched them (both the old and the new series)

Those are pretty sub-par too, really. I can't think of a film that better captures that same spirit than this one. Granted it's all rather childish, so you gotta turn your brain off and appreciate it for what it is.

Over the last three decades I've been using a few quotes from the movie in real life when I can

That's really fitting since sickc03r's Top 10 for this week is "most quotable movies":D

What can I say about Harry Crumb, even his name is a joke to me because he is a fat guy and a Crumb is a small amount of food but his real name is Candy which is what fat guys eat. Its a certain type of 80's humor where the cheese is thick and not a scene goes by without multiple one liners. It feels like the entire movie is one big long string of one liners that form into a script. I almost feel like the director or studio was still trying to cash in on some films that came before it that used the same sort of technique.

Airplane 1980
th

I can still remember watching Who's Harry Crumb when it came out in 1989 and thinking Annie Potts was hot but this was before the internet explosion during a time when Annie could be hot. The internet ruined all that with real hot chicks.

th
th

Ultimately though as I posted in last weeks poll thread, its always depressing to me the fat funny men of Hollywood that die early deaths.

John Belushi who died at age 33
th

Chris Farley also dead at 33
th

John Candy faired a little bit better, making it to 43 before he succumbed.
th

Of Candy, his daughter said after his death that out of all his on screen portrayals he was closest to Uncle Buck in real life.

"He wasn't very different from what he portrayed onscreen, which was nice and sometimes people are surprised or also relieved to hear that. I always describe him closer to Uncle Buck, He was very serious, stern, tough love, but he knew how to have a good time."

He wasn't too far off to the characters he played -- to the relief of many of his fans -- but Buck is the one that stuck the closest to home. Candy was a fan of tough love but also liked to have fun, with Jennifer Candy citing the example that he liked to prank call his friends in silly voices.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...lot-like-uncle-buck-according-to-his-daughter

Saw this one in the theater and have had a soft spot for it since. Over the last three decades I've been using a few quotes from the movie in real life when I can. It's a rare occasion that the word philanderer is useful. But when it is, imagine people's confusion when I say philodendron instead. Nobody ever catches the reference. Sometimes when people ask me how something is spelled and I don't know I tell them to try it with a D. Sometimes even when there is no D in the word. People never catch the reference. Most common though is the opportunity to bust this out. I consider it one quote even though there's a cut in the middle. First I give 'em the

giphy.webp

Then I hit 'em with the

giphy.webp

I've wanted this in .gif for years but wasn't able to find one. This week inspired me to finally make my own.

barris.png

Ps. I love how they subtitled it to match the subtitles for the other guy who was actually speaking non-English. :D

I can't see shit captain.

If you said "ah, ha", "sure sure" to me like John Candy I believe someone would get their ass kicked.

th

See you in the War Room! I made them for there. :cool:

No clue why those don't show up for you. They do for me. Anyone else not see them embedded?

See you in the War Room! I made them for there. :cool:

No clue why those don't show up for you. They do for me. Anyone else not see them embedded?

I see them when I click the link but not here with the embed, no idea why. I tried to post them myself with the embed code and it still didn't work for me.

I laughed a few times. Kinda dumb, but enjoyable. I liked the 80's music & the 80's babes. My favourite part was the guy shadowboxing at work to the boxing match.

{<RR}

I actually really enjoyed this movie. Maybe I was just in the mood for some silly humor, but it really cracked me up. I'm pretty sure I started snickering early on and continued to do so for the extent of the film. I thought it was a light, easy film that was enjoyable to watch. His costumes killed me. The scene were he photographed the lady banging her husband still makes me smile. Nice job @Cubo de Sangre! I've actually had someone use that "Try it with a D" quote. Makes much more sense now!

I did wonder about the priceless egg. If it was so priceless, it seems like the owner wouldn't have needed to engage in so many shenanigans to get the girl....he must have already had some mullah.

Back